Conroe OCers – How are you cooling your mobo chipsets?

Magik Smoke

Limp Gawd
Hi folks,

Like many of you, I’m planning a system build within the next month or so. Watching the way things are developing on the conroe front, I’m noticing a wide disparity on OCs that seems to have little to do with CPU voltage/temps/stepping/ram/bios or any of the other more common limiting factors to overclocks.

This got me thinking about possible other limiting factors like northbridge/southbridge temps and voltages. I’m wondering if this is going to wind up being a critical factor to my OC.

Surfing around: It does not seem that there’s much info out there on this issue so I figured that maybe a thread here would help.

You guys that got monster OCs… What are your mobo chipset temps? Have you got them volted up? What kind of cooling are you using?

To the guys that got a lower OC… Have you looked at your chipset temps? Messed with voltages?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks

If you are clocking high, 100 percent absolutely get a better cooler and/or fan on the NB. It needs juice to run fast, and gets damn hot stock.

I use the Jing Ting Forcetake Heatpipe Cooler.

I got this and modded the fan and lapped it like this :) It makes the NB a LOT cooler. Definitely a must.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Microcool-NorthPole-XE-Whisper-pr-3319.html
coolers1spi5.jpg

Excellent info. I was wondering what to look for on my upcoming DS3.

My A8N-SLi deluxe with active cooling fried a few weeks back due to fan failure. I want to avoid that with this round.

You know there's been a lot of talk about how the 965 uses more juice & creates more heat than its predecessors. (like the 975/955/945, etc)
I'm thinking that MAYBE since the 965 was created after Intel has switched to 65nm, that it might be the first chipset switched over to the craptastic prescott 90nm process. Where the other ones may have still been on the nice cool northwood 120nm process.

Anyone have any ideas about this ?

Someone at Intel in the know? Poncho? Anyone? Anyone? :)

What are the before and after temps everyone is getting with these mods?

chrisf6969 said:
You know there's been a lot of talk about how the 965 uses more juice & creates more heat than its predecessors. (like the 975/955/945, etc)
I'm thinking that MAYBE since the 965 was created after Intel has switched to 65nm, that it might be the first chipset switched over to the craptastic prescott 90nm process. Where the other ones may have still been on the nice cool northwood 120nm process.

Anyone have any ideas about this ?

Someone at Intel in the know? Poncho? Anyone? Anyone? :)
Smaller devices = less inherent resistance = cooler.

Hmmmm... may be time to cut a side vent in my case. Putting an 80mm fan above the NB and SB heatsinks (on the other side of the video card) lowered my MB temp by 10C. I was running around 50C; now I'm at 40C.

bassman said:
What are the before and after temps everyone is getting with these mods?

It's hard to say. I attached the 40mm fan before I installed the DS3 for the first time.

nanoschizzle said:
Smaller devices = less inherent resistance = cooler.

So Prescott was cooler than Northwood?

its a known fact, 965 sucks more juice than its predecessors. Look up the wattage for it compared to 975/945. More watts = more heat

Unless you have absolutely no airflow in your case, the NB heatsink doesn't get that hot. I admit the stock NB cooler isn't the most efficient, so I stuck on this Zalman NB heatsink that I had lying around:
http://www.jab-tech.com/Zalman-ZM-NB32J-North-Bridge-heatsink-Silver-pr-1953.html

I'm at 400FSB and I just bumped the voltage up 0.1V just to ensure stability (its my server afterall), the heatsink is warm to the touch, that's it though.

Mr. K6 said:
Unless you have absolutely no airflow in your case, the NB heatsink doesn't get that hot.

I've heard other people say this... I've also heard several people say that it gets hot enough to burn your finger... ?¿

Hrm... Temps under load, as reported by the thermistor would be nice.

Brahmzy said:
I got this and modded the fan and lapped it like this :) It makes the NB a LOT cooler. Definitely a must.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Microcool-NorthPole-XE-Whisper-pr-3319.html
coolers1spi5.jpg
Nice box , was it coincidental the box you used , or was it a cunning plan
:p

Is this what you used to cool your chipset? Man you must have money.

I am so yempted in buying these chipsets but i buy so many expensive thins and am most of the time well over my budget and end up not having a choice whether to buy a chipset cooler.

Anyways Madshrimps have done a test on these

Back