Conroe questions

synaps3

Gawd
Alright, to put it simply, I just got a hookup to get Intel cores for half off through work.

I have an Opty 146 @2.8 (my sig is outdated), how much improvement will I see from going Conroe?

Also, I would like to stay small form factor (I need mATX basically), what are my options for a motherboard?

Finally, are all socket LGA775 processors compatible with all LGA775 motherboards like AMD's socket 939? Or are they picky about the core architecure?

Thanks a ton for any help, I know I am kind asking a lot here.

Older LGA775 motherboards need to be BIOS updated and/or have there VRM changed to support Conroe's lower voltage requirements. So, no to your question. Dunno bout mATX. Half price is badass so get a new chip. Even though your OPty is no slouch, half off of the best processor around is great. You WILL see a boost in performance.

You need certain 975 or 965 mobos to run Core 2 Duo. As far as performance increase, a 2.66 Core 2 Duo will trash a 3.0+ X2 (FX) chip in any benchmark.

Almost all motherboards with i975 chipset will support now, but you should research before you choose a i975 board. all i965 chipset motherboards WILL support conroe no matter what, and there's 1 or 2 i945 boards out that support. NForce5 series chipset will support conroe, and so will Xpress3200, but not the current NF4 series and Xpress series chipsets.

I will be using this system for college, so I want stability. Because of this, I figured it would be best to go with an Intel board. I already have an eVGA 7600GT KO, so I will use that until I get time to upgrade to something more appropriate for the e6600. I have everything but mobo and CPU, so I just need to find something that will work well and match the quality of everything else in this build.

Back