Conroe: We're !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bbq

King of Charts
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/914/

article said:
No wonder all the Intel staff had big grins on their faces all this week as they walked around here at Computex in Taiwan – they are sitting on a kick ass processor and just waiting for the right time to launch it into the market.

From our benchmarking, we can see that Intel’s upcoming range of Conroe processors have a lot of raw performance available. Even the X6800 Core 2 Extreme which is clocked at just 2.93GHz is able to kill the 955 Extreme Edition processor pretty much all of the time. Considering the 955 EE is clocked over half a gig higher than the X6800, it is painting a very good picture for Intel. As Intel ramp up the clock speeds of the new Conroe chips, performance will only become stronger.

Not once did AMD’s current highest performing and most expensive FX-62 processor come close to beating the Conroe. At times, the X6800 was over 50% faster. The 955 EE was able to beat the X6800 once in Quake 4 but that is because the 955 EE has a much higher clock speed. And even in Quake 4, the 955 EE was only about 3% quicker – imagine when the Core 2 Extreme hits 3.46GHz and you’ll have a processor which will destroy the old Intel CPU design.

Intel’s Conroe design makes their older Pentium chips look very, very ordinary. At times, the X6800 is able to beat the Pentium 4 631 clocked at 3GHz by as much as 180%. As far as gaming performance goes, Intel is looking very strong and as we have predicated and told many people at the Computex show throughout the week, Intel is looking like they will be the gamer CPU of choice in H2 2006 and all of 2007. The Core 2 Extreme clocked at 2.93GHz was able to beat the AMD Athlon FX-62 on average by 15% in our gaming benchmarks.

Right now is a good time to be in the industry, especially as an enthusiast and gamer. Intel are fighting back against AMD after some years of tough times as AMD become stronger and stronger and grew their market share against Intel. Now things are looking very good for Intel – they have the fastest desktop PC processor in the world just waiting to let it loose and a great chipset platform in the Intel 965P and nVidia nForce 5 series with ATI lurking around in the background with their RD600 chipset which should be launched around September 2006, apparently the same time as Intel will release their new Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme processors into the market.

:(

*shrug*

I'm a P4 2.4c gone X2 3800+ gone... ???

Conroe, maybe?

Doesn't matter. Intel might have a beast of a CPU... AMD will counter.

You doomsayers are retarded, its like the nVidia/ATI crown. Neither will hold the crown long, and both have held the crown.

Same situation, move along.

umm yeah but unlike the gpu industry, you dont have a new generation coming out every 6 months. so whoever holds the crown infact will hold it for a while most likely. currently its amd ofcourse and has so for a while and its looking quite likely that intel is getting set to hold onto it for a while now. new situation, move along ;)

Murali said:
*shrug*

Doesn't matter. Intel might have a beast of a CPU... AMD will counter.

You doomsayers are retarded, its like the nVidia/ATI crown. Neither will hold the crown long, and both have held the crown.

Same situation, move along.
well said

who cares who the best it? I buy whatever is good... making decisions on a brand is stupid.

It's also important to note that it "finally" has caught up, with what a processor released several years ago? Just shows that iNTels engineers are not complete bumbling fools. I'm suprised they didn't catch up sooner.

For an older aging core technology, the AMD 64 was king for quite some time. I'm willing to bet that AMD does have some killer tech, just around the corner that will astound.

In addition, they let Intel garner the "ohhhh" factor now, while this fall shoppers won't necessarily be buying new PC's as they wait for Vista in 2007. AMD can then release at close to that time and with a repeat of the previous CPU history, redominate again.

Of course, this could all be my !!!!!!sm showing :D But I could care less about conroe, I've already spent my money and most likely won't for another year. There'll be something new then and I'll get what's best for me.

Faction said:
who cares who the best it? I buy whatever is good... making decisions on a brand is stupid.

I care because AMD is cheaper. I don't want to pay a premium for Intels technology, even though it is superior to AMDs. That's why I loved the fact that the 64s were superior to P4. I got the best technology at a cheaper price.

rohcky said:
I care because AMD is cheaper. I don't want to pay a premium for Intels technology, even though it is superior to AMDs. That's why I loved the fact that the 64s were superior to P4. I got the best technology at a cheaper price.
but the problem is... amd is more expensive these days. they have the better proc atm, and they know it, thus they jacked the prices as high as they could get away with to make some money.

now is where things get interesting.. i'm actually quite excited to see what amd can pull off with 65nm, and down the road, with K8L :cool:

65nm (Rev. G) will bring AMD from 3 decoders to 4. Should definately improve their performance per clock.

perhaps i am a bit off but who really cares about conroe. Yeah new chip, real fast...big deal.
Just about everytime there is a new CPU/GPU ect for one camp, it's better than almost everything has out in the other camp. Then one company leapfrogs....yadda yadda yadda.

AMD isn't really talking alot about what they have planned, but do you really think they are just sitting on their asses doing nothing? I hope once they release whatever it is that they are planning that everyone oooh and ahhh as much as they are about this intel chip.

If you like Intel and want the chip that's fine...i wish you the best of luck, but post it in the intel threads...i come to the AMD section to read about.......... AMD

visaris said:
Yeah, except for this page, that sows the FX-62 beating the Conroe XE in a bench and getting really close in another one. I love the way the reviewers don't do their job and simply lie in the conclusion.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/914/4/page_4_benchmarks_sciencemark_2_0/index.html

It is because they are getting free hardware in favor of good reviews... if anyone gave me that many conroes, sure as hell i'm going to be biased... it's a normal human trait. You never bite the hand that feeds you.

All I can say about this is that this conroe rush will create a nice big amd price war in the used market... meaning that the savings are passed onto me :)

(cf)Eclipse said:
but the problem is... amd is more expensive these days. they have the better proc atm, and they know it, thus they jacked the prices as high as they could get away with to make some money.

now is where things get interesting.. i'm actually quite excited to see what amd can pull off with 65nm, and down the road, with K8L :cool:

yeah, Conroe is coming in delivering much better performance and for alot less $$, heck, even if pricing went way up, they would still be worth it

if the FX62 and E6800 were both $1000, the E6800 would be a much better buy

Intel finally did something right this time, I hope K8L is amazing too.

rohcky said:

yea this was true a few years ago. i assure you time has gone by since then and policy has changed. intel will be coming out with better and cheaper/competitivly priced cpu's. now tell me, where do you stand after gaining this new insight?

HighTest's post got me thinking.

I think AMD's response to Conroe will be released near Vista's launch. This makes perfect sence. Intel wasn't happy that Vista got delayed and was hoping Conroe would somewhat coincide with Vista's launch. Now, if I was AMD, I would launch desktop K8L's when Vista launches to cross-market it was designed for Windows Vista or some clever marketing gimmick.

Ockie said:
It is because they are getting free hardware in favor of good reviews... if anyone gave me that many conroes, sure as hell i'm going to be biased... it's a normal human trait. You never bite the hand that feeds you.

All I can say about this is that this conroe rush will create a nice big amd price war in the used market... meaning that the savings are passed onto me :)

So they bite AMD's hand as well since they get review procs from AMD as well, right?

Donnie27 said:
Their result is from the whole test, not sub tests within it. Intel was faster in 2 out of 3 most of the Sub Tests so it gave them the overall nod.

That was not the point of his argument. Try reading it again.

Donnie27 said:
Take you own advice?
*clears throat*

[preach mode on]

Not once did AMD’s current highest performing and most expensive FX-62 processor come close to beating the Conroe.

"Not once" is an English phrase that implies that there was no single instance in which the following occured. Example: "Not once have I jumped off a 20 story buidling". If you looked at every second in my life there would never be an instance where I was jumping off a 20 story building.

The poster that quoted this showed an instance in the Sciencemark 2.0 test (Cipher Bench) where the FX-62 beat the XE Conroe. Given that, the original statment is incorrect.

Dammit !

I just switched a few months ago from a P4 3.0c overclocked to 3.75 on H20 to an AMD X2 3800+ with a DFI Expert board. I'm not about to buy ANOTHER waterblock, re-do my loop, and get a new proc and mobo to be back on the bleeding edge.

I think it's time to let sleeping dogs lie in this case (for me anyway). If I keep trying to have the fastest computer money can buy, I'll eventually be living on rice cakes and cat food! :p

Scroatdog said:
I think it's time to let sleeping dogs lie in this case (for me anyway). If I keep trying to have the fastest computer money can buy, I'll eventually be living on rice cakes and cat food! :p

Good advice/"proverb"; worthy sig material :).

Right now is a good time to be in the industry, especially as an enthusiast and gamer. Intel are fighting back against AMD after some years of tough times as AMD become stronger and stronger and grew their market share against Intel. Now things are looking very good for Intel – they have the fastest desktop PC processor in the world just waiting to let it loose and a great chipset platform in the Intel 965P and nVidia nForce 5 series with ATI lurking around in the background with their RD600 chipset which should be launched around September 2006, apparently the same time as Intel will release their new Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Extreme processors into the market.

The bold section is my favorite part. I added the bold......

duby229 said:
The bold section is my favorite part. I added the bold......
While I want to be clear that I do not intend to imply that the bold area is correct (I've been flamed way too much over such unintentional implications), I still think it's funny.

Oh, dubby, I sent you a PM btw.

rohcky said:

Drugs arnt good for you kid. Care to look at the latest prices of CPUs? The 3800+ is 300 dollars itself and thats the cheapest AMD dual core, conroes which are half the price will rape that CPU along with the FX-62....dont post when you are clearly lacking in knowledge. Intel is back and just accept it...

drizzt81 said:
*clears throat*

[preach mode on]

"Not once" is an English phrase that implies that there was no single instance in which the following occured. Example: "Not once have I jumped off a 20 story buidling". If you looked at every second in my life there would never be an instance where I was jumping off a 20 story building.

The poster that quoted this showed an instance in the Sciencemark 2.0 test (Cipher Bench) where the FX-62 beat the XE Conroe. Given that, the original statment is incorrect.

The software SUIT gives a single end result of all the tests ran=P 3DMarks, picCOLOR, Worldbench and etc.. does the same thing. You do not see folks going; "Conroe didn't really break the 3DMarks 05 world record because it lost scene ______ during the test run". It's the overall score that they *must have counted NOT individual subtests, sheeeh!

Example, "Not Once" have you stopped being a blind AMD plant to notice you missed the point as well. That happens when folks are blindly loyal and of no use to message boards otherwise, try to rationalize their misguided loyalty. Now don't try to insult me with BS and I'll do the same.

Yeah, except for this page, that sows the FX-62 beating the Conroe XE in a bench and getting really close in another one. I love the way the reviewers don't do their job and simply lie in the conclusion.

That's within ONE software suit sheesh! 2 to 1 means Conroe ran the suit faster=P
Doesn't matter if the the software suit was made up of 9 tests and the end result of all of the subtests were 5 to 4, the one with 5 wins, ran it faster. Or in AMD's case, ran a few of the tests faster by a wide enough margin to be seen as faster overall.

Worldbench is another "Suit". It gives a final score and has many subtests that show different results as well.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/athlon64-fx55/index.x?pg=8

AMD's newest Athlon 64 chips take the top two spots in our tests.

Now read on to see how many times the P4 was faster? If "Winner Takes ALL" mean the top two spots, well hey :rolleyes: So do I come back and say they lied because the P4s won some of the individual tests within the suit?

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/athlon64-fx55/index.x?pg=13

I don't understand this "we're screwed" bit - we all have access to these faster processors right? Or is Intel requiring proof of purchase of a Pentium 4 for customer loyalty as a pre-req to buying a Core2 Duo?

Drop the emotional attachment to companies and buy the best. It will encourage innovation and lower prices.

Also, my personal opinion is that WorldBench is a terribly outdated metric to do true CPU comparisons with. To give you an idea, the Premiere 6.5 test does not seem to be multithreaded (it might be, but it sure doesn't show it very well). That's why we use Premiere Elements 1.0 in addition in our [H] Consumer evaluations - it lets dual-core systems shine. We use WorldBench to give readers a general impression as to how a system will perform in everyday usage, but it would really scare me to start making definitive technical declarations of CPU prowess based on it...

LOL, good job you found a bench (ScienceMark rofl) where the FX-62 doesnt get raped. Who ever predicted that sciencemark would become the most important bench because its the only bench where AMD survives was correct! :eek:

Chris_Morley said:
Also, my personal opinion is that WorldBench is a terribly outdated metric to do true CPU comparisons with. To give you an idea, the Premiere 6.5 test does not seem to be multithreaded (it might be, but it sure doesn't show it very well). That's why we use Premiere Elements 1.0 in addition in our [H] Consumer evaluations - it lets dual-core systems shine. We use WorldBench to give readers a general impression as to how a system will perform in everyday usage, but it would really scare me to start making definitive technical declarations of CPU prowess based on it...

I just point these Benchmarks because they are made up of many different apps.

Yes but you know I've talked about them being out dated as well. Premiere Pro 7 or is up to 8 now, should be used. Movie Maker 2, WMP 10, Newer Roxio/Nero would make a good start. They used old stuff and even the MS Office portion is way out dated.

But I stand by what I said 3 months ago. If folks truely understood how well Yonah performs, then Conroe becomes no big deal and far fewer folks are shocked and stunned. Too damned bad Intel didn't fully support it or even Pentium-M on the desktop sooner.

cupholder2.0 said:
LOL, good job you found a bench (ScienceMark rofl) where the FX-62 doesnt get raped. Who ever predicted that sciencemark would become the most important bench because its the only bench where AMD survives was correct! :eek:

Takes a bow :D

Why should anyone care about who has the "fastest" processer. Really it makse no differences as others have mentioned. Whichever processer has the best performance to $ ratio is the one I will buy :D
And anyway, I doubt AMD will dominate again for some time. It's a cycle. First Intel p4 Northwood dominated AMD XPs, then AMD64s beat the p4, now the Conroe is beating the A64s and maybe other, newer AMDs also...

Am2 $ < $ Conroe
if the price /performance ratio is the same as before, then there is nothing jump through hoops for.
AMD is expected to drop prices to the old AMD levels after conroe comes out.
I personally think that AMD has gone a bit off the deep end with its high prices.
it's about time it got back to its roots.
cheap processors with great upgrade paths.

rohcky said:
AMD used to be cheaper. When an X2 3800+ is $300 and a Pentium D 805 is $120, 930 is $190, 940 is $230 is when I stop calling AMD cheaper and start calling it a ripoff.

the E6300, 6400 are both priced below AMD's cheapest as well, and those are launching in a month. I really hope AMD announces a price cut before then.

And for those who say that the Pentium D is slower I say this: AMD used to be slower. Thats why it was cheaper. This is the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back