Conroe

shoes

Limp Gawd
Who else is waiting?

Gonna be damn hard to hold out. I figure we should make a support group for those of us that are going to have a hard time not buying something else.

*hand up*

I too will be waiting. 3ghz+ multicore P6 architecture all the way!

Anyone know the latest on when these things are coming out?

the P3 was the last of the P6 chips for intel. the P-M is rather different from a strict P6 archicture, and conroe/merom will be drastically different...

if you want multicore P6, get a dual p3 system :p

ive been holding out for Yonah for a good long while, my wait is almost over :D i thought about waiting for merom... but fuck it. my 1.2ghz p3 laptop is begging to be upgraded.

ive heard Q3/4 for Conroe/Merom... Q1 for Yonah/Presler/Cedar Mill

I plan on getting a 661 (Cedar Mill) to hold me over until Conroe debuts.

Im holding out to get a laptop until Merom comes out. Does that count? :D

A laptop with a merom processor, a gig of memory and some adequete graphics like the X1600 is pure goodness!!!

I figure I can get by with my P4 3.0c, 1024 ram, x800xt.

but damn, by then there will be so many amazing things on the graphics scene as well...

I will make my next major computer purchase when Vista hits the scene. Until then my P4 2.4 is chugging along happily.

I am very interested in Presler though... I read a review somewhere that had a dual-dual Presler setup with HT (two dual core HT enabled Presler chips) so there were 4 real cores and 4 virtual cores... for a total of 8-way virtual SMP... now that is sexy.

NulloModo said:
I will make my next major computer purchase when Vista hits the scene. Until then my P4 2.4 is chugging along happily.

I am very interested in Presler though... I read a review somewhere that had a dual-dual Presler setup with HT (two dual core HT enabled Presler chips) so there were 4 real cores and 4 virtual cores... for a total of 8-way virtual SMP... now that is sexy.

What... like this?

Proc.jpg

1066 FSB and 4mb cache as well. :D

Poncho said:
What... like this?

Proc.jpg

1066 FSB and 4mb cache as well. :D
cant you do that with current dual core xeons?

well... without the 1066FSB and 4mb, that is... :p

lithium726 said:
cant you do that with current dual core xeons?

well... without the 1066FSB and 4mb, that is... :p

IIRC they just released the 667 Dual Core HT processors. The ones that I posted are set to come out in Q1 '06 I believe. Still waiting to get my hands on some woodcrest xeons. That'll be a good day. :D

From 2006 onwards Intel's products look so exciting!

Yonah :eek:

Merom :eek:

Conroe :eek:

Where does it stop? :D

Which is the first core with a short-medium pipeline and an on-die memory controller? A core that won't need insane clockspeeds, energy usage, and heat dissapation to compete?

As much as intel might want to diss amd, the on-die memory controller is a very good/important idea.

Don't get me wrong. Intel built this business, their R&D into related technologies is effing incredible, I just want to see them on top again, where somebody with their VISION(yes, I said vision) and their Power belongs.

I equate Intel with the chess player. Look at their investments---across the board---and then look 3-5 moves into the future. That is the game they play.

eastvillager said:
Which is the first core with a short-medium pipeline and an on-die memory controller? A core that won't need insane clockspeeds, energy usage, and heat dissapation to compete?

As much as intel might want to diss amd, the on-die memory controller is a very good/important idea.

Don't get me wrong. Intel built this business, their R&D into related technologies is effing incredible, I just want to see them on top again, where somebody with their VISION(yes, I said vision) and their Power belongs.

I equate Intel with the chess player. Look at their investments---across the board---and then look 3-5 moves into the future. That is the game they play.

Yeah, you don't get to the top by sitting around challenging your competitors to duals all day :)

ScHpAnKy said:
Same here.

Which chip is going to have an on-die memory controller?

The Nehalem generation which is set to replace Merom2 by 2008.

The Nehalem project was started around 1999 and was constantly reshaped from being Netburst based (the planned 10GHz chip ) to Merom based and finally a brand new architecture.

Merom is ok , but it lacks frequency headroom.It's too damn wide and has a short 14 stage pipeline.It will be the champ for the next 2 years but after that it has to go away...

Why doesn't Intel use an IMC ??

For several reasons , first of all they are the biggest chipset maker on Earth ( 60% of all chipsets ), their innability to build CSI and the advantages of a chipset based MC , other chipset maker's complains and finally OEM resistance.

The biggest problem is that with an IMC there is virtually no difference between different platforms ( a a white maker , SUN or HP AMD workstation have identical performance and reliability features , how to differentiate then ?? )

Look at servers , the Xeon has 3 different chipsets for it , E8500 made by Intel , X3 build by IBM and one build by Unisys.Servers can be totally different altough have the same cpus.

Itanium is the best example : you have Intel's E8870 chipset , HP ZX1 and SX1000 , IBM X2 , SGIs SHUB , NEC's own chipset , Fujitsu's own chipset , Hitachi's own chipset....

Every one of the above can say : I have unique capabilities !

OTOH , every Opteron server is virtually the same in capabilities.

Does anyone know if Conroe will run on the 975X platform? I know the Presler will, but I was wondering if the next, non-NetBurst architecture processor will work on it.

Also, anyone really know the release dates of either Presler or Conroe?

What is i955m?

And Conroe is Intel's next generation architecture right, the one after NetBurst correct?

Any idea about dates?

mobile 955 that is launching with Yonah in Q1 06.

yes, conroe is the new arch, based on merom, which is the mobile chip.

Yonah (based on Banias with many of the Merom updates, but not all) is coming out Q1 with Presler (dual core netburst on 65nm) and Merom/Conroe ive heard Q3/4 06.

other then the fact that it's been reitereated several times? I'm waiting for conroe and quad core processors to see their TDP and their performance. 30% more efficient clock for clock then the Dothan core is pretty good, plus the increase in clock speed + 2nd core.

Asian Dub Foundation said:
i plan for conroe to be my next major overhaul
+1 on that. I was thinking of building a system next semester, but since that's the verge of Conroe etc., I'll hold off for a few months... this 5200 can take it :D.

drunknbass said:
what about my dually xeon. if ht is on will it show 4?

Are they Dual Core WITH Hyper threading? If they are single core then you'll see 2 physical processors and 2 virtual for a total of 4 "processors"

no they are single core but i only see 2 on the ctr+alt+del screen so i guess my hyperthreading is off

drunknbass said:
no they are single core but i only see 2 on the ctr+alt+del screen so i guess my hyperthreading is off

You're not running XP Home by any chance are you?

nope im running windows x64

i checked my bios and it was disabled.
wonder if ill notice any difference :D

drunknbass said:
nope im running windows x64

i checked my bios and it was disabled.
wonder if ill notice any difference :D

not unless you're running 4 instances of folding@home

which you should be, if you're not :cool:

under username ScHpAnKy and Team 33

shoes said:
Who else is waiting?

Gonna be damn hard to hold out. I figure we should make a support group for those of us that are going to have a hard time not buying something else.

If anybody needs a support group it will be me. I dont know if 256mb ram and a GeForce 4 MX440 will last another year?

Back