Conroes in hands of a few

TheOmniscientCreator said:
Who thinks that this will hit 4 GHz on air? Thats what they are saying.

If they did they'd have stock speeds in the 3.5 GHz. Range. No company would be stupid enough to clock their chips at half their possible frequency.

Warmonkey said:
Thankful for what I'm getting? I didn't get any info from XS. Anand gave me all I needed to make my purchasing decision.

Regardless, an Engineering Sample is just that, an ES. While it does give a glimpse at retail performance...I would hardly consider it definitive.
They gave you an opportunity for more info, in turn you called them idiots for not being able to get unreleased unsupported hardware to work.....I'd like to see you get it working.

But enough of that, it just annoys me to hear somebody call another person (who has incredible skill) an idiot when they are trying to help people out.

Obi_Kwiet said:
If they did they'd have stock speeds in the 3.5 GHz. Range. No company would be stupid enough to clock their chips at half their possible frequency.

Or. It sucks too much juice at those speeds to go well with their performance/watt marketing. The 4GHz on air comment was a joke, maybe on supplier's part instead of FUGGER/FCG.

Bao01 said:
Or. It sucks too much juice at those speeds to go well with their performance/watt marketing. The 4GHz on air comments were a joke, maybe on supplier's part instead of FUGGER/FCG.
Or. 3rd theory.

It can clock to 3.5+ but they introduce it lower in order to beat out AMD, but not by too much. By the time that AMD introduces a new product that can beat Conroe, they simply up the clock speed to beat them again :D just dreaming, but wouldn't that be awesome? there would be tons of head room.
Intel seems to have gotten 65nm, I am excited for what they can bring.

vapb400 said:
just dreaming, but wouldn't that be awesome?

Heck yes! Reality bites :D Who knows? It can happen, I think.

Oh yes! I loved your avatar over at XS since the first time I saw it!

vapb400 said:
I'd like to see you get it working.

Send the parts. I will pm you my address. I can't promise anything, but can give it my best shot.. Hence why i was angry over at XS....only promises.....

If I can't get it working, I am sure some of the other EE's I know can. Question is: is it worth ghetto rigging something up, or to do it properly?

vapb400 said:
They gave you an opportunity for more info, in turn you called them idiots for not being able to get unreleased unsupported hardware to work.....I'd like to see you get it working.

But enough of that, it just annoys me to hear somebody call another person (who has incredible skill) an idiot when they are trying to help people out.

they didnt give us an opportunity for more info... looks like they just jerked everyone around... posting those threads to drive up traffic or something

VictorWang, on the other hand, waited til he had benchmarks and screenshots before spouting his mouth off

Name calling and disrespect aren't needed. I do agree with the order of; get it, bench it then post, ala Victor Wang though.

I hope DFI's upcoming i975x board supports this thing.

freecableguy and his crew are just wasting everyone's time.

I love how he says to Victor, "looks like you beat me by about 6 hours!" Still no results even now. But then again, it's not like you can expect someone living in the U.S. to have access to the latest motherboards and chips.

JackPack said:
freecableguy and his crew are just wasting everyone's time.

I love how he says to Victor, "looks like you beat me by about 6 hours!" Still no results even now. But then again, it's not like you can expect someone living in the U.S. to have access to the latest motherboards and chips.

Aweee but Victor brings some folks worse nightmares to life! They can't look at his results and make excuses for AMD. That's all that has been happening lately.

I'm pretty pissed about the whole thing really. Fugger and FCG spam all over the boards about how they have Conroe incoming, then we hear nothing, and they delete all their own threads in a lame attempt to hide their shame. Well it's too late IMO. Victor did it right by posting first with benchmarks.

Edit: It looks like Victor has some other numbers up, which makes me happy inside :)

jebo_4jc said:
I'm pretty pissed about the whole thing really. Fugger and FCG spam all over the boards about how they have Conroe incoming, then we hear nothing, and they delete all their own threads in a lame attempt to hide their shame. Well it's too late IMO. Victor did it right by posting first with benchmarks.

Edit: It looks like Victor has some other numbers up, which makes me happy inside :)

Conroe 2.4Ghz on 965G mobo VictorWang Today 03:12 PM
Pages 515 Views 69,960

Almost 70 thousand has viewed the page.

OC_LeGeND said:
thats alot of people.........
Yeah that is. But it's probably more like 20,000 actual people visiting the thread several times to view the progress. I know I have looked at that thread at least 10 times.

jebo_4jc said:
Yeah that is. But it's probably more like 20,000 actual people visiting the thread several times to view the progress. I know I have looked at that thread at least 10 times.

Yeah, you might be right but also look at how many times that sites has been down? There would have been more views by more folks otherwise.

I like that Victor was finely able to get a decent GPU working . 11,2++ is one hell of a 3Dmark 05 score. Out of a 2.4 ghz cpu rig. I still am sitting wondering what the XE 1333 bus and running @ 3.33ghz will bring .

Your right as it was fully discussed in another thread here. Point is AMD hardcores were saying wait for final . Well this is it or it won't be launched on all satans day 6/6/06

$BangforThe$ said:
Your right as it was fully discussed in another thread here. Point is AMD hardcores were saying wait for final . Well this is it or it won't be launched on all satans day 6/6/06

I tried to tell them that X2 is not bandwdith starved and all they did was switch and start talking about Operons and how they scale.

Donnie27 said:
I tried to tell them that X2 is not bandwdith starved and all they did was switch and start talking about Operons and how they scale.

Ya opeys scale real good . They go from 2.6 to 2.9 . and than its not stable. I really think its funny how those guys think AMD's are good O/Cers. I suppose if you go from 2.0 to 2.6 which is the most the average user getts you can say its ok. Yonahs are better O/Cers/ Dothans are better O/C ers . Lets just let Me say Conroe is a great O/Cer.

$BangforThe$ said:
Ya opeys scale real good . They go from 2.6 to 2.9 . and than its not stable. I really think its funny how those guys think AMD's are good O/Cers. I suppose if you go from 2.0 to 2.6 which is the most the average user getts you can say its ok. Yonahs are better O/Cers/ Dothans are better O/C ers . Lets just let Me say Conroe is a great O/Cer.
Conroe is still 2 mos away :) ...How about now..Celeron M based on Yonah solo core with 1M L2 and $120 price tag with almost 100% oc on air.....

11446830721hs.jpg

Heres VW @XS with ES chip.....This one is on the way here :)

$BangforThe$ said:

No, not that kind of Scale, multi Processors and Multi Cores. You see, that would create a need for more Memory bandwidth. Conroe isn't Bandwidth hungrey either until you start cranking up the FSB. Like one guy trying to talk about NUMA on a Single Processor.

My 2.2GHz A64 will do 2.4 after burn in and that's it. It was Binned to a T. I really couldn't tell anything difference unless it was a benchmark.

Nice post cent. I can see the single core merom or conroe hitting 4ghz easily. I like that victor is posting these scores . But it is really taking the steam out of the review sites as by the time they review these cpu's . All the holy shitting will be over and done with. Other than having good M/B to test and O/C with but I already have very good idea about those things allready. Bring on penryn. Many are saying Intels best is only 20% better than AMD's best . The trueth is 40% is more accurate . Since clock for clock will be meaningless . Conroe @ 3.33 is 45% faster than FX60. O/C to its max stable vs. FX O/C to its maxed stable were going to se a 50% differance. K10 had better be way good . Fact is if I was AMD I would just go ahead and call it by its rightful name K9 or Spot. See spot run! LOL

$BangforThe$ said:
Nice post cent. I can see the single core merom or conroe hitting 4ghz easily. I like that victor is posting these scores . But it is really taking the steam out of the review sites as by the time they review these cpu's . All the holy shitting will be over and done with. Other than having good M/B to test and O/C with but I already have very good idea about those things allready. Bring on penryn. Many are saying Intels best is only 20% better than AMD's best . The trueth is 40% is more accurate . Since clock for clock will be meaningless . Conroe @ 3.33 is 45% faster than FX60. O/C to its max stable vs. FX O/C to its maxed stable were going to se a 50% differance. K10 had better be way good . Fact is if I was AMD I would just go ahead and call it by its rightful name K9 or Spot. See spot run! LOL

I have to disagree, I don't see Conroe hitting 4GHz and to be honest with ya', don't care if it did or not. All a 2.4 would have do for me is 2.7GHz and if the 2.4GHz did do 3.3GHz I wouldn't see myself doing an update for at least 3 more years.

Reviews will be very important. There are questions about;
Can we now get away with lower total power supplies?
What we'll need for a quiet PC?
Power Draw, Temps and Heat disappation for the different models.
Features on what Motherboards?
Best RAM?
Fastest and most stable motherboard?
POS motherboards?
Conroe Core Duo vs. Core Solo?
64bit performance?
Yes OVERCLOCKING?

Just to name a few and I don't even care about the vs. AMD crap-o-la!

I'm doubting 4Ghz, also.

But it doesn't need to reach anywhere near 4Ghz to dominate anything else out there.

@ (stock) 2.4Ghz its pretty much kicking everything's ass, but the best overclocked systems.
@ 3.0 Ghz it will blow away EVERYTHING period
@ 3.33Ghz (stock for XE) it should be untouchable by anything in the foreseeable future from AMD

And those are basically stock speeds. Imagine if it can hit 3.6Ghz overclocked (less than 10% over the fastest speed bin). It will be 50+% faster than Victor's first stepping CPU + crappy pre-production Dell board with no tweaking.

AMD fan's are trying to say wait for AM2 to be tweaked, AM2 is supposed to be out a little before Conroe I believe so AM2 vs Conroe is a good comparison.

I'm thinking in Fall, I'll be getting myself a 2.4Ghz Conroe, overclock it to 3+Ghz.

chrisf6969 said:
I'm doubting 4Ghz, also.

But it doesn't need to reach anywhere near 4Ghz to dominate anything else out there.

@ (stock) 2.4Ghz its pretty much kicking everything's ass, but the best overclocked systems.
@ 3.0 Ghz it will blow away EVERYTHING period
@ 3.33Ghz (stock for XE) it should be untouchable by anything in the foreseeable future from AMD

And those are basically stock speeds. Imagine if it can hit 3.6Ghz overclocked (less than 10% over the fastest speed bin). It will be 50+% faster than Victor's first stepping CPU + crappy pre-production Dell board with no tweaking.

AMD fan's are trying to say wait for AM2 to be tweaked, AM2 is supposed to be out a little before Conroe I believe so AM2 vs Conroe is a good comparison.

I'm thinking in Fall, I'll be getting myself a 2.4Ghz Conroe, overclock it to 3+Ghz.

Like I said, any of those speeds would make me very happy!

Donnie if you reread my post you will see I referring to merom or conroe single cores reaching 4ghz. I think 3.6 ghz is going to be very do able with dual cores. On a second stepping 4ghz should be attained.

On the AMD thing . Ya I shouldn't be bashing them . But I am reaally tired of people thinking AMD can lower their prices below intel prices with a non competive cpu and remain in the black.

Look the performance of Conroe is nothing short of extrodinary. It took netburst and Dothan to get to this CPU. The pressy turned out to be a hugh $$$$ maker for Intel. As well as a pain in the Ass with leakage and heat. Intel had to learn how to make there cpu's competive. Here's some things that helped Intel get to the merom cpu. Keep in mind that the Dothan team went right to work on yonah when it was released. Were talking years to design this chip. (merom). Here's the things INtel had to learn to create MEROM

1) Heat in the form of electrical leakage( Pressy really helped Intel deal with this issue)

2) Netburst Intel used things in merom that they learned threw P4 ( I can say the one thing we well all miss is a P4 running on intels 45nm process. I know it would have been great.

3) Dothan keep it simple stupid. I know there is nothing simple about a cpu but Intel got sidetracked with netburst and HT with really long pipes. So now Intel goes back to a simpler more refined cpu . But P4 was neccessary to get back to were they are now.

There is much I have skipped over . But AMD never really had to deal with these issues in recent time. AMD knows nothing about netburst or HT nor did they have to try to tame preesies leakage problems. Intel learned from its mis cues. The results are Merom.

For AMD to get to were INtel is now they will have to have the same setbacks that Intel went threw. They also need to learn the same things Intel learned from P4 and Itanic. out of order 4 issue.

AMD k10 has been talked about for ever but AMD had no mountain to climb in recent years other than to get the public to take them seriously as a company. They did get about 20% of cpu sales during the last 2 years.

AMD simply could not supply the chips. So than they go and start a lawsuite when they have the best cpu around . What happens ? AMD can't meet demands.

Intel really gets angry and says here try Conroe on for size. If intel eats into the gains AMD made in the last 2 years. In the next 2 years that Lawsuite is over as the court will have no choice but to say AMD simply cann't compete with Intel.

If anyone believes K10 was being designed to compete with Conroe your a fool. AMD is going to have to start from scratch. The memory controller ondie is not a big issue on the server front as people make it, as Intel can do multiple FSB .

The ball is now clearly in the AMD side of the field. K10 is over before it even starts.AMD will need a 4 issue cpu. Don't even say K10 was planned as a 4 issue cpu.

Now I know about co processors and Z ram but this adds heat and power usage. Not the direction anyone wants to see cpu's go.

Conroe is a great CPU and its going to take more than anything AMD had in the works to dethrone this CPU

$BangforThe$ said:
Conroe is a great CPU and its going to take more than anything AMD had in the works to dethrone this CPU

Makes me glad I supported Intels R&D over the past 10 years buy continuing to buy Intel products. :)

$BangforThe$ said:
Donnie if you reread my post you will see I referring to merom or conroe single cores reaching 4ghz. I think 3.6 ghz is going to be very do able with dual cores. On a second stepping 4ghz should be attained.

On the AMD thing . Ya I shouldn't be bashing them . But I am reaally tired of people thinking AMD can lower their prices below intel prices with a non competive cpu and remain in the black.

Look the performance of Conroe is nothing short of extrodinary. It took netburst and Dothan to get to this CPU. The pressy turned out to be a hugh $$$$ maker for Intel. As well as a pain in the Ass with leakage and heat. Intel had to learn how to make there cpu's competive. Here's some things that helped Intel get to the merom cpu. Keep in mind that the Dothan team went right to work on yonah when it was released. Were talking years to design this chip. (merom). Here's the things INtel had to learn to create MEROM

1) Heat in the form of electrical leakage( Pressy really helped Intel deal with this issue)

2) Netburst Intel used things in merom that they learned threw P4 ( I can say the one thing we well all miss is a P4 running on intels 45nm process. I know it would have been great.

3) Dothan keep it simple stupid. I know there is nothing simple about a cpu but Intel got sidetracked with netburst and HT with really long pipes. So now Intel goes back to a simpler more refined cpu . But P4 was neccessary to get back to were they are now.

There is much I have skipped over . But AMD never really had to deal with these issues in recent time. AMD knows nothing about netburst or HT nor did they have to try to tame preesies leakage problems. Intel learned from its mis cues. The results are Merom.

For AMD to get to were INtel is now they will have to have the same setbacks that Intel went threw. They also need to learn the same things Intel learned from P4 and Itanic. out of order 4 issue.

AMD k10 has been talked about for ever but AMD had no mountain to climb in recent years other than to get the public to take them seriously as a company. They did get about 20% of cpu sales during the last 2 years.

AMD simply could not supply the chips. So than they go and start a lawsuite when they have the best cpu around . What happens ? AMD can't meet demands.

Intel really gets angry and says here try Conroe on for size. If intel eats into the gains AMD made in the last 2 years. In the next 2 years that Lawsuite is over as the court will have no choice but to say AMD simply cann't compete with Intel.

If anyone believes K10 was being designed to compete with Conroe your a fool. AMD is going to have to start from scratch. The memory controller ondie is not a big issue on the server front as people make it, as Intel can do multiple FSB .

The ball is now clearly in the AMD side of the field. K10 is over before it even starts.AMD will need a 4 issue cpu. Don't even say K10 was planned as a 4 issue cpu.

Now I know about co processors and Z ram but this adds heat and power usage. Not the direction anyone wants to see cpu's go.

Merom is made with the most advanced EIST Intel has shipped so far.

I'd be shocked if this 14 pipe processor can go past 3.6GHz. You know I'd have loved to have seen a 65nm Northwood with at least a 2MB L2, hell, Dual with 4MB.

$BangforThe$ said:

Well, my 1.8 GHz Opty 165 does 2.6 GHz. My 1.8 GHz Opty 144 does 2.8 GHz. While those clocks are by no means incredible, I think they are good at 55% and 45% overclocks. This is with air and reasonable voltages. I would say they overclock well. I am definitely looking forward to Conroe and happy to see Intel actually start performing well again for the desktop. I haven't had a desktop Intel for almost a decade which was the DX-2 66MHz lol (I was not too into computers in High School and then bought an AMD K6-2 when I was beginning college since they were priced nicely and did what I needed them to do since I wasn't much of a PC gamer until my 3rd or 4th year in college). The Pentium M's are great processors and it will be a change to having an Intel rig in the future.

Donnie27 said:
Merom is made with the most advanced EIST Intel has shipped so far.

I'd be shocked if this 14 pipe processor can go past 3.6GHz. You know I'd have loved to have seen a 65nm Northwood with at least a 2MB L2, hell, Dual with 4MB.

You and me and many others feel this way. The northwood was a great processor still is.

josanai said:
Well, my 1.8 GHz Opty 165 does 2.6 GHz. My 1.8 GHz Opty 144 does 2.8 GHz. While those clocks are by no means incredible, I think they are good at 55% and 45% overclocks. This is with air and reasonable voltages. I would say they overclock well. I am definitely looking forward to Conroe and happy to see Intel actually start performing well again for the desktop. I haven't had a desktop Intel for almost a decade which was the DX-2 66MHz lol (I was not too into computers in High School and then bought an AMD K6-2 when I was beginning college since they were priced nicely and did what I needed them to do since I wasn't much of a PC gamer until my 3rd or 4th year in college). The Pentium M's are great processors and it will be a change to having an Intel rig in the future.

As i said in the orginal post you quoted. The average user only gets from a X2 @ 2ghz an O/C of 2.6ghz- . Read the Amd forums only those people that get the really good chips have any luck above 2.6ghz. So I try to use averge because you can't say someone who got a 2.4ghz to O/C no further than 2.6Ghz is representitive of all amd cpu's . The same goes for those lucky enough to get good O/C amd CPU's . Thats why I use average . The average AMD O/C is not that good.

To valadate my statement go to the orb . Check the 3Dmark 05 scores that do not complete the Cpu test . Why didn't they do the Cpu test because their O/C was unstable and they couldn't complete the test.

To prove this out look at the 3Dmark 06 which requires the cpu test be run inoder to post scores. You will see that many guys that posted their scores in 3Dmark05 had to lower their O/C in order to complete 3Dmark 06.

I don't consider an O/C sucessful unless its stable. and is run 24/7. Do you???

$BangforThe$ said:
Lets just let Me say Conroe is a great O/Cer.
I haven't seen any overclocking results yet, but by your example above, if Conroe is a "great" overclocker, that would mean it will be clocking at about 50% higher than stock speeds, right? That would mean that the 2.4 will clock up to 3.6ghz, right?.....I don't think the odds of this happening are very good with a brand new architecture, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it, but to everybody who says "Conroe will overclock very well" I say "How do you know?" I'm taking a wait-and-see approach, myself.

jebo_4jc said:
I haven't seen any overclocking results yet, but by your example above, if Conroe is a "great" overclocker, that would mean it will be clocking at about 50% higher than stock speeds, right? That would mean that the 2.4 will clock up to 3.6ghz, right?.....I don't think the odds of this happening are very good with a brand new architecture, unfortunately. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it, but to everybody who says "Conroe will overclock very well" I say "How do you know?" I'm taking a wait-and-see approach, myself.

Same here!

I have to agree with him because of all the buds and etc.., 50 something A64's, FX and X2's. I've NOT seen the results most Anandtech and Xtremesystem forum members result with overclocking like 2.9GHz [email protected] volt, the ones I saw 2.56GHz (1.6v?). 3500+ 2.6GHz 1.5v and an x2 4800 at 2.7GHz. Though folks here showed 3GHz Opterons, the best I was was 2.8GHz.

I don't know how much Conroe will overclock, but I'm happy as hell if the 2.4GHz one I'm planning on getting will do 2.7GHz! Why, that's about a $350 processor with no extreme cooling real close to the next model up being 2.66GHz. I honestly don't care what AMD does with the transisional 90nm AM2. I don't want to overclock to a point where the Conroe becomes a Hot-Power Hogg.

Doesn't matter if Conroe is a great overclocker or not (granted, it's a bonus, but not "necessary"). Point is, it'll be a great performer from *stock*. :)

1c3d0g said:
Doesn't matter if Conroe is a great overclocker or not (granted, it's a bonus, but not "necessary"). Point is, it'll be a great performer from *stock*. :)

Hell, at $3xx I'd be happy as hell at stock if the performance is as they say it is.

Back