Console -edits

Mayhem33

[H]ard|Gawd
I just installed the console version, tried to use Mages auto-installer but I dont know what the installer did. I was asked no questions, which is the point I guess. I had no idea on how the client was set up, for stuff like big packets, my name on the client, you know stuff like that. :D I un/reinstalled the client manually and got in as a service but now I need your help as to how to add the (-edit) to the client to make sure SSE is on and stuff like that. :)
Awaiting instructions sir!!

I have no clue what the Mages installer is so forgive me if this is way to basic.

Edit/ope the config.cfg file with notepad. This has the basic settings in it, you should be able to figure out what is going on.

If somethign looks wrong, stop the service. Run the folder with the -config flag, or -configonly flag and it won't run right away to change things.

Open the FAHlog.txt file, look for "Extra SSE boost OK." means the SSE is going no need for the flag. I've never used that flag or the -advmethods so thats about what I know.

Ohh, and make sure your userid=marty9876 just to me safe.... :eek:

marty9876 said:
I have no clue what the Mages installer is so forgive me if this is way to basic.

Edit/ope the config.cfg file with notepad. This has the basic settings in it, you should be able to figure out what is going on.

If somethign looks wrong, stop the service. Run the folder with the -config flag, or -configonly flag and it won't run right away to change things.

Open the FAHlog.txt file, look for "Extra SSE boost OK." means the SSE is going no need for the flag. I've never used that flag or the -advmethods so thats about what I know.

Ohh, and make sure your userid=marty9876 just to me safe.... :eek:

Lets see, create shortcut to folding exe and then add the -configonly flag at the end. Then run the shortcut and make any changes...this sound right? How do you add the flag for SSE so that if you have a power failure it will run with SSE when it starts back up again?

Change name to marty.....wait a minute....you are a sly one!!!!! :p

Mayhem33 said:
Lets see, create shortcut to folding exe and then add the -configonly flag at the end. Then run the shortcut and make any changes...this sound right? How do you add the flag for SSE so that if you have a power failure it will run with SSE when it starts back up again?

Change name to marty.....wait a minute....you are a sly one!!!!! :p

It's rj's, not mine. It's all his fault.

I said play with NSIS, get that working, but nooOOOOoo. a .bat file will do, right?

Add the .reg file from his installer, all it does is change the "image path" to include "-forceasm" and some other useful stuff, I forget exactly what... Ask him, like I said.

edit: the reg key that needs to change for forceasm is:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FAH@C:+fah+FAH502-Console.exe
change the "imagepath" to include -forceasm, advmethods, whatever else you want.

unhappy_mage said:
It's rj's, not mine. It's all his fault.

I said play with NSIS, get that working, but nooOOOOoo. a .bat file will do, right?

Add the .reg file from his installer, all it does is change the "image path" to include "-forceasm" and some other useful stuff, I forget exactly what... Ask him, like I said.

edit: the reg key that needs to change for forceasm is:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FAH@C:+fah+FAH502-Console.exe
change the "imagepath" to include -forceasm, advmethods, whatever else you want.

YGPM!
Hey Mage, can you help me get these flags setup correctly? Not sure what I am doing!!

So you dont use the shortcut method you actually edit the registry? I have done some reg editing before, I just want to be sure!

Mayhem33 said:
So you dont use the shortcut method you actually edit the registry? I have done some reg editing before, I just want to be sure!

Well, *I* run Linux and have no Registry, but he runs it via this method and it works fine; I also do this on all the windows b0rgs. It's not as dangerous as it seems, just if you make a single slip a group of commandos will burst through your window and take you hostage. Not too bad really. :D

So anyways, yes do it through the registry. It lets windows know there's a service going, so it even gets shut down nicely on powerdown.

I just use forceasm, advmethods is up to you and equivalent to having bigpackets turned on in client.cfg IIRC. Either way on that one.

Sorry to thread crap- I should get my switchs straight some day here lemme know if this is off base:

Is -forceasm really only used for "older" AMD cpu's? If you get the "SSE boost ok" in the log then all is good? I read somewhere that if the boxen looses power when folding restarts it might be in kinda a safe mode and fold but not use the SSE code sets. Use it, don't use it?

Is-advmethods just the same deal as having big packets turned on?

I kinda get the impression that the switchs were more useful withthe eariler versions of the console, lemme know if I nutz here. Having the serivce installer must have been a big plus.

Mayhem33- you can also just stop the service, to a start>run>browse to the console program and add the -config switch for a one time deal. Say yes to the advanced options for the other options.

Hey thanks alot for the help! I had some odd things going on there for a minute or two, I had two instances trying to run. Stopped them all, rebooted and checked the log to see if edits were correct and running.....YEAA!! :D
It is all as it should be now, thanks again!

marty9876 said:
Sorry to thread crap- I should get my switchs straight some day here lemme know if this is off base:

Is -forceasm really only used for "older" AMD cpu's? If you get the "SSE boost ok" in the log then all is good? I read somewhere that if the boxen looses power when folding restarts it might be in kinda a safe mode and fold but not use the SSE code sets. Use it, don't use it?

Is-advmethods just the same deal as having big packets turned on?

I kinda get the impression that the switchs were more useful withthe eariler versions of the console, lemme know if I nutz here. Having the serivce installer must have been a big plus.

Mayhem33- you can also just stop the service, to a start>run>browse to the console program and add the -config switch for a one time deal. Say yes to the advanced options for the other options.

Hey Marty, here is the list of flags, I was just missing the how to part, it doesn't tell you that! FAH Flags
This should help.

-advmethods is not the same as having big packets....

As things are right now, my registry entry looks like this>

D:\Program Files\Folding@Home\FAH502-Console.exe -svcstart -forceasm -local -advmethods

on all my boxen... no linux boxen as of yet :( .... I'm working on it....

Keep on Folding!!

Back