Console Jrpg's

stevedave

Supreme [H]ardness
Are console jrpg's dead or are they just skipping a Generation?

doing a quick mental check for PS1 I remember playing:

Final Fantasy IX
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Grandia
Alundra
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics
Suikoden II
Valkyrie Profile
Star Ocean: The Second Story
ect...

For PS2 I remember playing:

Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy X
Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
Dark Cloud 2
Suikoden III
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Odin Sphere
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Star Ocean 3
ect...

I don't owe a PS3 because I can't seem to find a single worthy rpg. am I missing something? Am I the only person who only Plays RPG's?

Gaming companies I have thousands of dollars to spend on gaming....I just need the games to spend it on.

It’s not as large as it once was. Two best JRPGs this gen are on Wii believe it or not. That's The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles.

Well Persona 4 comes out for Vita soon so that may take the crown. Reviews are high already.

On PS3 Valkyria Chronicles is great. Folklore is interesting. There is Eternal Sonata and Star Ocean.

Look at Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. Comes out Jan. 22 on PS3. Looks amazing. Studio Ghibli is doing the art.

Nier

Disgaea 3. Disgaea 4 is on the way.

FFXIII (whine about the linearity in the first two thirds of the game all you want, but there is still plenty to like here). and XIII-2 (fixes just about everything wrong with XIII).

Resonance of Fate might be okay.

*360 has Blue Dragon

I tried both The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles and didn't like them.

I really didn't like FF XIII .....had to force myself to pass it and the last boss was a bitch without leveling up ever. Just glade I didn't buy the game.

Valkyria Chronicles does look great and I played the PSP version which was ok but empty in terms of story line....but this really isn't a classic style jrpg probably good none the less.

Star Ocean 4 was pretty good as well, a bit too bright, but the voice acting completely ruined the game for me. I got about half way through and the scene were they where they were about to blow up the earth.....the voice acting was so bad I just quit. Maybe the PS3 version will have Subtitles. I couldn't find the specific scene the drove me over the edge but here is a small taste of crap for your ears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

Disgaea 3 is on Vita so I'll be playing that on it. D4 will also likely go to vita.

Lost Odyssey was the only RPG have enjoyed on the current gen

Last edited:
I tried both The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles and didn't like them.

I really didn't like FF XIII .....had to force myself to pass it and the last boss was a bitch without leveling up ever. Just glade I didn't buy the game.

Valkyria Chronicles does look great and I played the PSP version which was ok but empty in terms of story line....but this really isn't a classic style jrpg probably good none the less.

Star Ocean 4 was pretty good as well, a bit too bright, but the voice acting completely ruined the game for me. I got about half way through and the scene were they where they were about to blow up the earth.....the voice acting was so bad I just quit. Maybe the PS3 version will have Subtitles. I couldn't find the specific scene the drove me over the edge but here is a small taste of crap for your ears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

Disgaea 3 is on Vita so I'll be playing that on it. D4 will also likely go to vita.

Lost Odyssey was the only RPG have enjoyed on the current gen and given

BOOM I LOVE YOU

Lost Odyssey the most overlooked under rated game ever

its amazing and its the only current gen JRPG worthy of being called a JRPG.

It was made by Hironobu Sakaguchi who you might know from some of the games you listed like chrono trigger final fantasy 1-7 etc etc. he is a god.

eventually he left square enix and formed mistwalker and started making games for xbox and nintendo etc. which is crazy cause in japan xbox is a joke :)

anyways. Lost Odyssey is a must.

I guess to each his own. I'll take Last Story over Lost Odyssey. Star Ocean 4 did have some terrible voice acting. I was just tossing games out there for the most part.

Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 had a good story but does have a slow start. I've heard the PSP version improved some things but it had to scale a lot back since its the PSP.

This game everyone should be looking at-

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Gameplay Commentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ5rUC4S8kc

Last edited:
I guess to each his own. I'll take Last Story over Lost Odyssey. Star Ocean 4 did have some terrible voice acting. I was just tossing games out there for the most part.

Valkyria Chronicles on PS3 had a good story but does have a slow start. I've heard the PSP version improved some things but it had to scale a lot back since its the PSP.

To each his own for sure......and I think my own is dying.

Funny that Last Story and Lost Odyssey are made by the same people.

Ni no Kuni.......I normally dislike games where a little kid is the main character but I'll have to give it the benefit of the doubt as its made by Level-5 and they do fantastic work.....I might just have to over look a 13 year old protagonist.

Last edited:
I'm not too into RPGs, but I've played some good ones.

Tales of Vesperia --- have yet to finish it, and I'm reading that the PS3 version wasn't released outside of Japan. I like it so far.

Skies of Arcadia on Dreamcast --- if you can find a cheap used Dreamcast at a thrift store and buy the game on eBay (VMUs are dirt cheap too), you can probably play it without spending more than the cost of a new current game. It might be possible to emulate but I have never looked into that.

About FF13 --- I needed a new 360 and decided to get the FF13 bundle even though I've never played a Final Fantasy before. I played FF13 and made it to disc 2 of 3 in maybe 5 to 8 hours. I felt like I was playing just so I could watch the cutscenes and follow the story... The gameplay was meh. I didn't beat it, but I did remember how much I was hearing about Final Fantasy 7 so I figured I would try that instead. Dusted off the PS1 and got the game --- finding it to be easily one of the best games I've ever played. It took me 100 hours to make it to disc 2 (decided I would not consult a strategy guide under any circumstance and got stuck a few times).

The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles

I've heard great things about these games.

Demons/Dark Souls are rather good, but don't fit the type of jRPG's you're talking about, at all.

Demons/Dark Souls are rather good, but don't fit the type of jRPG's you're talking about, at all.

Lucky for me that came out on PC. While not a typical JRPG i liked it a lot.
I own a 360 (a gift/fixeruper) but not a PS3. I will probably buy a PS3 eventually but there are only 3 or 4 games I'd play on it as of now. I'd like at least a handful before I buy it.

Atlus is my new Square. I just wish games like Etrian Odyssey IV would get a PS3 release. Such a fan I usually buy 2 copies of their games 1 to open and play and 1 to keep sealed.

About FF13 --- I needed a new 360 and decided to get the FF13 bundle even though I've never played a Final Fantasy before. I played FF13 and made it to disc 2 of 3 in maybe 5 to 8 hours. I felt like I was playing just so I could watch the cutscenes and follow the story... The gameplay was meh. I didn't beat it, but I did remember how much I was hearing about Final Fantasy 7 so I figured I would try that instead. Dusted off the PS1 and got the game --- finding it to be easily one of the best games I've ever played. It took me 100 hours to make it to disc 2 (decided I would not consult a strategy guide under any circumstance and got stuck a few times).

Good for you not letting XIII ruin the series for you. PSN has almost the whole FF series. If you liked VII you may like VIII. Combat had to grow on me but the story is good. I liked IX alot since it goes more old school. X is great also.

Persona 3 is the only Persona I played but it was awesome. I wish I had a Vita to play part 4.

Last edited:
Valkyria Chronicles is a split between a really well done, very personal story with some pretty solid Anime-isms sprinkled on top once get a few hours into the game.

The graphics and combat are both really cool-------but some negatives that bring the whole experience down are more than a couple of missions where it appears that you have some options for playing the mission a few different ways or at least sort of making your own choices. When in reality, said missions must be played almost exactly how the devs want you to. Through trial and error of figuring that out, I wasted a couple of hours on some of these missions.

I'd still recommend the game, though.

If you never played Persona 4 (PS2), get that on your PSP/Vita or something. Its the best JRPG in a long time, and has been for a few years now as well.

Good for you not letting XIII ruin the series for you. PSN has almost the whole FF series. If you liked VII you may like VIII. Combat had to grow on me but the story is good. I liked IX alot since it goes more old school. X is great also.

X is great. I loved it. Played it passed it several times. Sphere grid is so well done is makes a slow and steady increase until BAM your a complete bad ass.

However FFX introduced much of what IMO is killing final fantasy. The first and biggest thing is the world. Its no longer a world. Its Specific Maps. You go to a dot on a map click it then go into a map. This means no more flying around in an airship. No more running around the world in a chocobo.

Reduced Inventory. I like gear. I like finding shoulders, weapon, gloves, rings, amulets, socks, shoes, laces, earnings. In my opinion you would really have to try to have too much gear. FFVII and VIII also had some pretty limited gear not not this bad.

There were a few other points on this but the time has passed and I have forgotten. But much of what I didn't like about FFX moved on into FFXIII, and FFXIII retained little of what I did like about FFX.

If you never played Persona 4 (PS2), get that on your PSP/Vita or something. Its the best JRPG in a long time, and has been for a few years now as well.

Persona 4 is Golden.....get it.

I'm buying a PSP vita and Persona 4 on the same day at the same time. I want there to be a connection between vita sales and Persona 4

But there is no problem with the RPG content on handHelds. DS and PSP were both great. 3DS and Vita are looking to be fantastic avenues for RPG's as well. Its the main Line PS3 and 360 that lacks the content. I'm partly bringing this up because I saw some PS4 specs and thought how much I don't care because PS3 and 360 have dropped the rpg department so I don't expect anything better next gen.

For the love of all that is good and just, please tell me you played Chrono Trigger! :p

I started with Phantasy Star and hit pretty much every RPG since.....so yeah I played Chrono Trigger....in fact just passed it on my iPhone a couple of weeks ago.

Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of The Moon and Infinite Space. Infinite Space in particular will suck you in and not let go. Nearly 80 hours later, I still haven't finished it. It's a slow burn.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Been eyeballing jrpgs from afar since pretty much ffX.
Things just ain't what they used to be.

I am however now playing Tales of Vesperia after watching the anime and it's genuinely fun. A million times lighter than my last rpg, witcher 2. But the characters are likeable, especially if you're into anime.
The writing as well is well done. I lol'ed a few times. Not the FF7/xenogears type profound rpg but enjoyable.

The Suikoden games had a pretty fun formula and production values as well. Definitely check those out.
I don't think they make jrpgs that make you re-evaluate your beliefs and continue to think about years away anymore. :/

Sidenote:
Witcher 1/2 are probably the best games I've played in a long time.

Have you played any of the previous Tales games? I'd highly recommend Symphonia, easily my favourite game of last gen.

everything I have seen about White Knight Chronicles says avoid it. So I will.

I have played the Tales series they are pretty good. First one I played was Tales of Destiny and the last one I have played was Tales of the Abyss. Xillia and Vesperia are 2 games I wouldn't mind playing on PS3.....one isn't out yet though.

Back