Consolidating my storage setup

The King of Pants

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been running my system since '05ish (pretty sure the only things that are original are the RAM, MoBo, case and mouse) It's still running well for me with the exception of my storage set up.

Right now I'm running a 74gb Raptor as the boot drive and a pair of 250gb (pretty sure a Hitachi and a WD) and a pair of Seagate 320gb. All of the drives are running solo, no raid or backup and that is what I'd like to fix. I'd like to have my music and backed up dvds on a RAID setup so I won't loose what has to be hundreds of hours of ripping and retagging to a single drive failure.

What is the most cost effecitve way for me to get this done? From what I've read so far there are 7200rpm drives out now that beat the pants of my raptor in terms of performance, so that'll be going away for sure.

Just to make sure we're on the same page: RAID is not backup. It guarantees uptime but is not a form of backup. External hard drives, NAS, SAN, DVDs, and other forms of easily disconnected and unconnected at all times external storage solutions are backup.

I say just pick up a large enough external hard drive to serve as backup.

Is this a desktop that use regularly or just a fileserver?

Yeah I vote with the WHS, or other external backup system (even just an external drive).

Back