Constant Reboots

N H O

2[H]4U
hello all, i am having trouble fixing a friend's computer that reboots constantly. I have replaced the power supply and also replaced the cpu cooler and im quite sure that the problem now lies with the video drivers, but i am not sure how to fix it.

specs:

Compaq 6415cl
AXP 2000+
768mb ddr266 (512+256)
FIC AM37
gainward ti 4200
powmax 400watt psu

before i replaced the 300watt hipro with the powmax, the system would boot maybe 1 out of 10 times. now it boots but randomly reboots at unexpected times. any help is appreciated. thanks.

Its possible that windows or the driver is corrupt as you suspect.
Reinstall the graphics driver and the chipset drivers.

If the problem still happens...

Is anything overclocked? (gotta ask)
If you haven't reset the CMOS yet, do that. I imagine you've had to reset it from previous crashes.

What are are the cpu temps?
Is the graphics card hot while idle (check on the back of the card behind the GPU)?

Right click "my computer" then click on manage, then goto event viewer.
Under the application and system tabs, check if there are any errors or warnings near the time of reboot.

Let us know what you find.

Try unsetting and resetting everything and blow it all out.

My PC BSOD a ton before I took a can of air to the RAM slots.

Right click "my computer" then click on manage, then goto event viewer.
Under the application and system tabs, check if there are any errors or warnings near the time of reboot.

Let us know what you find.
i tried this, and found nothing so far.

Turn off auto restart so you can get the BSOD error code.

http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.php

Use driver cleaner pro to clean our your drivers before reinstalling new ones.
i've tried to do this, but it is pretty challenging with the computer constantly rebooting.

Its possible that windows or the driver is corrupt as you suspect.
Reinstall the graphics driver and the chipset drivers.

If the problem still happens...

Is anything overclocked? (gotta ask)
If you haven't reset the CMOS yet, do that. I imagine you've had to reset it from previous crashes.

What are are the cpu temps?
Is the graphics card hot while idle (check on the back of the card behind the GPU)?

everything is at stock. cpu idles in the high 40's and load in the mid 50's. gpu seems to be normal, not overheating or anything.

flipflopsnowman made a good suggestion as it could be a bad connection.
Unplug any cards and memory, blow any dust away, clean the connectors on the cards/memory and put them back in.

One way to start checking is it hardware or software is download and run Memtest86+ either off a floppy or a CD.
If it spits out a load of memory errors or reboots then your probably looking at a hardware problem.
If you can run over 3 loops or 3-4 hours without any errors start to think software.

Luck .......... :D

flipflopsnowman made a good suggestion as it could be a bad connection.
Unplug any cards and memory, blow any dust away, clean the connectors on the cards/memory and put them back in.
I've done this, cleared the CMOS and even tried a different video card (radeon 7000) with no luck :(

One way to start checking is it hardware or software is download and run Memtest86+ either off a floppy or a CD.
If it spits out a load of memory errors or reboots then your probably looking at a hardware problem.
If you can run over 3 loops or 3-4 hours without any errors start to think software.

Luck .......... :D
I cant seem to run memtest too long before it freezes or the comp reboots :confused:

...you replaced a Hipro. With a Powmax.

Wow.

what can i say? thats all that i have laying around. I'm currently trying to get a hold of decent powersupply though.

If you hold down F8 before the windows boot screen comes up, you can get to the safe mode menu. There should be an option to disable auto-restart and boot into safemode. If not, boot into safemode and try turning it off there.

Back