Continued Worklog: Old Crappy Server!

Grizzy

Gawd
For those of you who remember my old black "server" - good, because I don't have the old pics anymore
For those of you who don't remember or never saw it, it is a InWin case like this one.

When I got it, it has several different colors of paint on it already, in various stages of coming off and looking crappy in general

I then bondo'd up the groove in the front of the case where the buttons and LED's went, and started planning my next mod....

THE WICKED FRESH INTAKE, YO!

It started out as just a 80mm hole in the plastic bezel, with the fan mounted in the case as normal, with the gay looking grill built in to the case

That all changed yesterday, as I was out with my friend getting new subs in his car - He got rid of his old box, which had a 3" port on it! Needless to say, I snatched that before we got rid of the box.

I took it home, shoved it in the hole in the bezel, and it was almost a perfect fit! I superglued it in place, and started with the bondo

It took me 3 coats, and a few hours of hand sanding it down until it was perfect

I then cut the gay looking metal grill from the front of the case and stuck a blue 80mm LED fan in to see how it looks

This is the final result (before paint, that is another day)

fanmod1.jpg

Now I need to get the rest of the paint off the body of the case, and paint

I was thinking the same color as my main computer (see link in sig) or just plain flat black (so I don't have to worry about scratches in the finish) What do you guys think? What color?

I will be painting it in a week or so, I have a lot of other stuff to do until then

no, I did the modding in my garage, but set the computer up in my bedroom because thats where my spare power supply is (test table just out of view to the right)

Still trying to figure out what color I want to paint it, and what kind of finish I am looking for

paint it a nice, soothing, mood-enhancing color with a flat finish.

like this one or this one or even like something from austin powers!

j/k.:D white (gloss) or a flat red would look cool. i saw a really really sweet looking flat red finish on a guitar today that would look awesome on a case. i'd get a pic, but my method of taking pictures takes too long to be worth it (and the color would get screwed up anyway)

I was actually thinking a flat finish, a bright deep red on the front, turning into bright orange and yellow flames fading to flat black in the back of the case

you mod on your bed?.... interesting... theres sleep talking, sleep walking, and now sleep modding!!!

Ha, No, I mod on my porch or in my garage, I just put everything there to take pics

Right now, I have 2.5 computers worth of parts laying on my bed (2 whole old computers, and various spare parts, lots of them :D )

I am in the process of sanding all the paint off the case and getting ready to paint it, I filled in the gap at the bottom of the front bezel and that bondo work still needs another layer and some more sanding, but it will be ready to paint in about a week (I have 2 other computers that need to be fixed up and worked in my spare time as well)

As for the paint, I am thinking flame job but am undecided on what colors to use

I would have really liked chameleon flames with a flat black case, but good chameleon paint is really really expensive and the spray can stuff looks like crap... Any other suggestions on colors? anything at all is cool for now, I just need ideas :p

Grizzy said:
Ha, No, I mod on my porch or in my garage, I just put everything there to take pics

Right now, I have 2.5 computers worth of parts laying on my bed (2 whole old computers, and various spare parts, lots of them :D )

I am in the process of sanding all the paint off the case and getting ready to paint it, I filled in the gap at the bottom of the front bezel and that bondo work still needs another layer and some more sanding, but it will be ready to paint in about a week (I have 2 other computers that need to be fixed up and worked in my spare time as well)

As for the paint, I am thinking flame job but am undecided on what colors to use

I would have really liked chameleon flames with a flat black case, but good chameleon paint is really really expensive and the spray can stuff looks like crap... Any other suggestions on colors? anything at all is cool for now, I just need ideas :p
orange, BRIGHT ORANGE!!!... heheh

I decided to get off my lazy ass today and finish the bondo work so I can primer/paint it whenever I decide on a color/combo

Here is the final bondo work:
server3.jpg

My painting skills arent very 1337 yet, but I can do a single color no problem, maybe some flames if I take my time... So considering that, what kind of paint job should I try? Try to keep it simple.... :p

LOL

I might paint a little tiny section plaid just to amuse you :p

Edit: Send me $15 to cover paint cost and I will paint it plaid :D

I was think of fiberglassing some old plad sheets to the sides of an old case. using surfboard fiberglass, it would turn out sweet, very glossy :D

Back