control a computer over ip

d3fc0n5

Limp Gawd
hey guys i want to know if there is a way i can conect to a box in another room w/o going to it
im runing xp home on my rig. and the other one is going to be runing suse proly 9.1. so dose anyone know of a prog that can do that. thanks

If both boxes were Windows boxes you can use Remote Desktop Connection. That is how I administer my servers.

Though if one of them is going to be running suse like the OP said then remote desktop is out of the question. Though I believe there might actually be a linux remote desktop client, but it wouldn't help in this case anyway since he is wanting to connect to a suse box. I have used VNC, though, and it works quite well, especially when it's just running over a local network. Just set up a VNC server on the suse box and use the VNC client on your windows box to connect to it. If you just need shell access to it then you can just use SSH. Alternatively, if you want to use X but don't want to use VNC then you can run an X server on your windows box and use that to remotely run X programs from the suse box. Though that tends to take a bit more to set up than just dropping VNC in and using that.

btw, to the OP: your sig is too long. The limit is 10 lines at 800x600.

jpmkm said:
Though if one of them is going to be running suse like the OP said then remote desktop is out of the question. Though I believe there might actually be a linux remote desktop client, but it wouldn't help in this case anyway since he is wanting to connect to a suse box. I have used VNC, though, and it works quite well, especially when it's just running over a local network. Just set up a VNC server on the suse box and use the VNC client on your windows box to connect to it. If you just need shell access to it then you can just use SSH. Alternatively, if you want to use X but don't want to use VNC then you can run an X server on your windows box and use that to remotely run X programs from the suse box. Though that tends to take a bit more to set up than just dropping VNC in and using that.

btw, to the OP: your sig is too long. The limit is 10 lines at 800x600.
crap about the sig i didnt know
and would i have to setup a VNC sever on each suse box i have i have more then 1

d3fc0n5 said:
crap about the sig i didnt know
and would i have to setup a VNC sever on each suse box i have i have more then 1
Well with anything you use you will have to set it up on each box you want to connect to, so yes you will need to set up a vnc server on each box.

Back