Convince me to change

AuxNuke

Gawd
As I seem to require more and more things of my computer, I've finally decided to jump over to a nice dual core X2. So far, I've decided on a 4400+ with 2mb (2 x 1mb) cache, 2GB of Ballistix PC4000, and I'm going to hold onto the X850 XT for a little while longer until the next mindblowing game comes along :-D

Anywho, I've been an "Abit Guy" for years sinnce the BX133-Raid and BP6. Ever since then, I've bought nothing but Abit and, on the most part, have been a very happy customer. I've had great luck with their boards through the year and still to this day (see sig) use their products.

I've already decided on snatching up an Nforce SLI-32X board for my next rig but, for the first time, I'm dying to be different. I dont know if its the mood I'm in, I've had to much PBR, or I've just lost my mind but something is telling me to be "adventerous" this time. I found a sweet Asus A8N-32X in my searches and, from the look of it, it seems to be some serious competition to my beloved Abit products.

I guess what I'm asking is:
1) Does anyone have any experience with this board?
2) Is there any reason I should switch to Asus (or any other company for that matter)?

Mebe I just need a swift kick in the nuts from someone to tell me, "HELL NO, Abit pwns joooo" or "Hey asshole, Abit is the Yugo of computers." Either way, I'd love to hear your opinions on the topic.

Thanx in advance,
~Aux

Well, I've used both the A8N-SLI Deluxe and the Abit AN8-SLI (I realize neither ones are the boards you're talking about specifically :D). The Abit was much better. I have personally had better luck with Abit boards over Asus, but I'd use either one.

Some Many moons ago I used Lots of Abit boards. Both Intel and AMD and over many different models and platform changes.. They were the tops!!! The absolute best!! BUT...... Over the years their product has shown a major decline in craftmanship and quality. The customer service or the lack therefore has become quite unbearable. Ever since they lost People Like Oskar and others to companies like DFI and MSI They have made very poor products with average to below average performance and reliabillity,It shows in all the finacial trouble they have become to be in. They have to Market a Kid whos fame of gamming name has been attached to their product becoming a cheezy cover/ploy to try to gain back some respect and customers but yet only get laughed at in their face,, After many issues with their products Over and over and over in a course of a years period of time I gave up and would highly recomend MSI or DFI or ASUS well over anything that ABit makes.. But thats my experince and my opinion. Take it for what its worth to you..

That's odd I didn't care for the BP6 or the Abit variants using the BX chipsets. I always found Abit's to be lacking mainly in stability and flexibility. I would go Asus personally and have had nothing but problems with Abit even back in the solid BX chipset days <shudder>.

MSI I don't have a whole lot of experience with some but not much and they seem OK.

AuxNuke said:
As I seem to require more and more things of my computer, I've finally decided to jump over to a nice dual core X2. So far, I've decided on a 4400+ with 2mb (2 x 1mb) cache, 2GB of Ballistix PC4000, and I'm going to hold onto the X850 XT for a little while longer until the next mindblowing game comes along :-D

Anywho, I've been an "Abit Guy" for years sinnce the BX133-Raid and BP6. Ever since then, I've bought nothing but Abit and, on the most part, have been a very happy customer. I've had great luck with their boards through the year and still to this day (see sig) use their products.

I've already decided on snatching up an Nforce SLI-32X board for my next rig but, for the first time, I'm dying to be different. I dont know if its the mood I'm in, I've had to much PBR, or I've just lost my mind but something is telling me to be "adventerous" this time. I found a sweet Asus A8N-32X in my searches and, from the look of it, it seems to be some serious competition to my beloved Abit products.

I guess what I'm asking is:
1) Does anyone have any experience with this board?
2) Is there any reason I should switch to Asus (or any other company for that matter)?

Mebe I just need a swift kick in the nuts from someone to tell me, "HELL NO, Abit pwns joooo" or "Hey asshole, Abit is the Yugo of computers." Either way, I'd love to hear your opinions on the topic.

Thanx in advance,
~Aux

Are you planning on doing any overclocking?

Captin Insano said:
Some Many moons ago I used Lots of Abit boards. Both Intel and AMD and over many different models and platform changes.. They were the tops!!! The absolute best!! BUT...... Over the years their product has shown a major decline in craftmanship and quality. The customer service or the lack therefore has become quite unbearable. Ever since they lost People Like Oskar and others to companies like DFI and MSI They have made very poor products with average to below average performance and reliabillity,It shows in all the finacial trouble they have become to be in. They have to Market a Kid whos fame of gamming name has been attached to their product becoming a cheezy cover/ploy to try to gain back some respect and customers but yet only get laughed at in their face,, After many issues with their products Over and over and over in a course of a years period of time I gave up and would highly recomend MSI or DFI or ASUS well over anything that ABit makes.. But thats my experince and my opinion. Take it for what its worth to you..
It's weird how so many people can buy the same exact same product and have such a different experience with it. I've had great luck with recent Abit boards: AA8XE, IC7-Max3, IC7-G, even the TH7-II Raid was fantastic. Just my luck I guess. That's why I've stayed with Abit for so long!

D3v01D said:
Are you planning on doing any overclocking?
Of course! I'm hoping, at minimum, to get 4800+ speeds (2.2 to 2.4) out of the 4400+ I wouldn't be here at the [H] asking questions if I was just gonna keep it stock :)

AuxNuke said:
It's weird how so many people can buy the same exact same product and have such a different experience with it. I've had great luck with recent Abit boards: AA8XE, IC7-Max3, IC7-G, even the TH7-II Raid was fantastic. Just my luck I guess. That's why I've stayed with Abit for so long!

Of course! I'm hoping, at minimum, to get 4800+ speeds (2.2 to 2.4) out of the 4400+ I wouldn't be here at the [H] asking questions if I was just gonna keep it stock :)

that was my goal too....until i hit 2.625GHz ;)

Although Asus is the No1 MoBo maker for as long as I can remember, lately I have seen them slip in their quality. My house has 3 computer guys and 8 computers. all the new ones are Asus'. All have had a major design flaw.
1. ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe ( Chipset fan died, other than that excellent board )
2. Roommates A8N-SLI Deluxe ( same issue)
3. Other Roomates A8N-E Nforce 4 Ultra (Same issue)
4. P5AD2 Prem. ( Fan worked great, too bad a pin came out of the 775 Socket, Dead Board)
5. My Brand new A8N-VM CSM 6150 IG( No Chipset fan!, Passive cooled Way too hot for my standard and not even a heatsink on the southbridge, but you could boil an egg on it!)

So if you know what you are doing after some weeks of work you get a good board, but beginners who dont check to see if your bridge cooler has stopped spinning, be afraid!

p.s. Got my X2 4400+ up to 2.625ghz on air cooled with temps under 50C. Good Proc. Choice.

Some of the OC's you guys are getting on that proc sound great! Thats very encouraging. Knowing that, it still seems that everyone has mixed views about Abit and Asus... which is good! That means that Abit still competes and the mighty Asus has some bad apples.

Either way, thanks to all who replied... anyone else have some insight?

Abit made one of the best Socket A (NF7 v2) and Socket 478 (IC7, IC7-G) boards but they seem to have fallen behind lately.

coupld of years ago (during nforce2 Skt A, Skt 478 days), it was Abit everywhere and they made great boards too. Hopefully, they will come up with decent boards next time but they seem to have lost out on the S754/S939 boards.

Abit in the BX days was known as the overclockers board and was for awhile. I just didn't have any luck with them compared to others but then again I wanted more of a workstation stable yet full featured board at that time and still do ;p.

I've dealt with (owned or built for people) quite a few Abit boards:
BE-6 II, IC-7, IS-7, and some other 815 slot 1 board

and I think only 2 Asus boards:
P5GD2-X & P4S333

from my experience, the Abit boards were easier to overclock. Both were stable, well besides the P4S333 which was a crappy Sis645 chipset mobo, with no AGP/PCI lock.

I personally prefer Abit, but Asus is definitely right up there with them and is my second choice all things equal.

Well I guess I should go ahead with my instinct and try this Asus board. From what everyone has said (and after looking at some reviews and other threads) it seems as though this board should suit my needs well. The only thing that is gonna throw me off is how different the BIOS is. I am SOOOOO used to Abits uGuru and SoftMenu3 applications, its going to be difficult for me to get used to whatever Asus uses.

~Aux

Back