Convince Me to Keep My 360

The PS3 is heading towards obsolescence also, but at least it has a hard drive, and its optical drive is a generation ahead of the 360.

So what? The XBox uses compression on textures. And guess what, my XBox has a hard drive too! Gasp!

I'm not comparing it to a PC. The average lifespan of a console generation is 5 years. It's been that way for awhile now, and the 360's time is up. It should have replaced last year. It's old and out of date even by console standards. .

Sony and MS have said the consoles were going to last longer than 5 years. Again, I don't give a damn about a new console. It does what I want. I'd rather not spend more money.

Graphics matter to most people, no matter what they say, otherwise everyone would still be playing the PS2. It had the largest user base, and the best selection of games.

Your GTX 580 says otherwise.

My GTX580 says that game developers push graphics all the time; it says that they don't write efficient code (Crysis vs Warhead...) and that I wanted to play with 3D eventually...and so needed a lot of power. It says I game at 1080p where I need more power if I want to enable AA. And it also says I might want surround if I ever decide to invest in it (unlikely at this point.)

It also says I want to play with direct compute and writing my own apps for my own uses.

Lastly, it says that I'm HAPPY to be away from my old 5970...

Stop making bad assumptions about why I do things. You don't know me, and you don't know my motivations.

but I don't think I'll be seeing any 3-D HD-DVD titles in the near future..

You don't think? There isn't a snowballs chance in hell of seeing 3D on HD-DVD.......

I saw one of the 360 drives the other day dirt cheap but didn't see the point, can't remember the last time I saw one of the movies for sale.

You don't think? There isn't a snowballs chance in hell of seeing 3D on HD-DVD.......

I saw one of the 360 drives the other day dirt cheap but didn't see the point, can't remember the last time I saw one of the movies for sale.

I will however point out that the XBox is HDMI 1.2(?)...

I will however point out that the XBox is HDMI 1.2(?)...

Kinda goes with the snowballs chance in hell thing ;)

tbh this whole you need 1.4 compliant hdmi everything for 3d is bullshit anyway. I'm using a 2 year old 1.3 hdmi cable on my PS3 and 3d is fine.

I'd say at least 50% of the reason I keep my 360 along with my PS3/PC is that the vast majority of my friends with a console have one as well, but very few have PS3's. If that isn't a factor, then i dunno...ESPN3 is pretty cool.

Kinda goes with the snowballs chance in hell thing ;)

tbh this whole you need 1.4 compliant hdmi everything for 3d is bullshit anyway. I'm using a 2 year old 1.3 hdmi cable on my PS3 and 3d is fine.

You don't. You need 1.3. Heck, even 1.2 can do it.

It was never made clear what the slim 360 has HDMI wise. It might have 1.3 - who knows.

I'd say at least 50% of the reason I keep my 360 along with my PS3/PC is that the vast majority of my friends with a console have one as well, but very few have PS3's. If that isn't a factor, then i dunno...ESPN3 is pretty cool.

My friends are all PC elitists, which is what I'm slowly becoming. I watched the Rose Bowl on ESPN3, and the Badgers lost, so never again! :(

gee ...yuh think? :p

I see HD-DVD's for sale alot .. and the HD-DVD add ons make for great external dvd drives :)

Last edited:
gee ...yuh think? :p

I see HD-DVD's for sale alot .. and the HD-DVD add ons make for great external dvd drives :)

The new 360 drives are quieter I find though :)

But I still have some HD DVDs....(Serenity and Planet Earth I care about the most :-p)

My ps3 whispers sweet nothings into my ear, while my pc makes the best onion soup, my 360 likes to pick its nose and fling the snot at the wall when I'm not looking, and my wii just sits there and cries all day long.

I traded my Xbox360 to my buddy for some labor on my motorcycle. Not even upset I did it. I never played that thing.

I've had a (six) 360's since launch. It was the only interesting and affordable system for the longest time. I've since bought a PS3 and a Wii and built a pretty decent PC. As such, my 360's been more of a dust magnet than a gaming system lately.

I find that I've no real interest in any of its more recent exclusives. I beat most of the older ones, Crackdown, Dead Rising, Fable II, Gears of War, etc., but the recent exclusives are just... meh. I can't even think of any aside from Gears of War 2, Halo: Reach, and Alan Wake, none of which really interest me. Crackdown 2 and Fable III were big letdowns, and Dead Rising 2 is multi-platform.

So, what does the 360's future look like? Any good exclusives coming this year? Or should I sell it while I can and stick with PC/PS3?

You've got Gears of War 3 coming out in September and Forza 4 coming out sometime this year. That's it. Exclusives on the 360 have definitely dried up.

It's worth noting that COD is essentially a 360-exclusive now, given how bad Black Ops is on the PS3, Modern Warfare 2 and COD4 are hacked to all buggery, and the 360 gets timed-exclusive DLC. Most multi-platforms are better on the 360 as well...not because the system has by any means superior hardware, but because most of them are designed for the 360 first and then ported to the other systems.

Back