Cooler for an Opteron 175

Spankbot-5000

Weaksauce
I just recently bought an Opteron 175 for my new system, and had a question about cooling. I have an opportunity to get a free Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, but AC's page doesn't list Opty's as compatible with the Freezer 64 Pro. On the other hand, I've seen a few builds listed here that show the Freezer 64 Pro on an Opteron, but every build was a lower processor like the Opterons in the 140 range.

My question is if the Freezer 64 Pro can be successfully mounted on an Opteron 175, or only lesser Opterons(physical revisions of the chip on newer models?).

The AC Freezer64 Pro is indeed compatible with the Opteron 175. It isn't CPU compatibility, but more of motherboard compatibility, in which this heatsink fits pretty much everything out there.

Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure the chip size wasn't something to worry about, but I thought there could be a chance the chip was physically thicker and so the retention clip on the Freezer 64 Pro might not reach down far enough to the mobo.

Oh well, now my fears are allayed. Now to get this puppy built in time to play Elder Scrolls: Oblivion!

Back