CoolerMaster Centurion 541 (mATX) build / need help!!!

IronChefMorimoto

Limp Gawd
Well -- I finally bought a CoolerMaster Centurion 541 case and related hardware to migrate from my Shuttle SN85G4V3.

Here's what's going in:
  • Athlon64 3400+ (Socket 754)
  • Asus K8N-VM Nvidia 6100+410 mATX motherboard
  • 1GB (2x512MB) Kingston DDR PC3200
  • eVGA 7900GS 256MB PCI-E video card
  • 200GB Maxtor SATA-I DiamondMax 9 hard drive
  • 20X Lite-On DVD burner w/ Lightscribe
  • Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W modular PSU

Items in RED are parts from the Shuttle I replaced; items in YELLOW are new.

Would that SATA-I drive NOT work with the SATA-II ports on the Asus motherboard? I got a 120GB SATA-I drive that I had to work, but I could not get the 200GB mentioned above to work. Dead? Capacity issue with BIOS? I have the next to the latest BIOS, and the latest version only adds C'n'Q support for a processor model. Would the SATA-II ports on the board have issues with the SATA-I drive? If so, I would think that would affect BOTH the 200GB and the 120GB drives.

Anyway I'll post photos, if anyone's interested (???). For now, here's my comments on the case:

• Tool-less is nice - Just pop off the front panel (from the bottom), and then slide in your floppy/card reader and/or DVD/CD burner and lock them into place.
  • Tool-less is bad - If you have a fan controller (I was gonna use my 5.25" Vantec Nexus to control the fans (see below)), you're gonna need to get one that has long rails. The Vantec I have is short -- about 2". It's not long enough to set down on the tool-less railing, so, when you lock it in, it flops down on one side where it's not secure. Can't mount it without modding the case. I think this would be an issue for short card readers in the 3.5" bay too.
  • BTX layout makes wiring hell - I'm not a great wiring guy with my computers, so this may be my lack of experience (and being spoiled by a pre-wired Shuttle for 2+ years). Because this is a half-BTX layout, you work from the opposite side of the case with the motherboard flipped around. CPU is at the bottom away from 5.25" bays and PSU at the top. I think it will help cooling, but...on my motherboard, the power connections are all very close to the CPU, so I've got a huge main connection coming down on top of everything. And, the wiring for the power switch, SATA ports, and front audio panel all have to go from the bottom of the case to the top edge of the motherboard.
  • Not everything tool-less - Unlike the Centurion 5 ATX case, you still have to screw in the expansion cards to the bracket. No tool-less mounting here with the little plastic clips (which looked real flimsy on the Centurion 5 ATX anyway).
  • Asus mobo only has 1 chassis fan header - This was my mistake -- I didn't look to see if there were enough headers on the board to accommodate 1 120mm intake and 2 80mm exhaust fans. Hence, my attempted use of a Vantec fan controller. I'll probably get some cheap-o Zalman fanmates to mount internally if I can't get "by default" quiet fans.
  • No fans included - If you get this case, you'll be buying $30+ worth of fans. It's cool, 'cause you get to pick your fans, but you're also being charged $50 for this case -- and for that price, the Centurion 5 ATX model comes with 2 very quiet fans in the box.

Again, if anyone can chime in on the SATA-I drive issue, I'd appreciate it. When I get photos posted, I'd like some wiring recommendations. ;)

IronChefMorimoto

Nice setup. I bought the uATX Centurion and some Scythe silent fans as a gift for my sister and brother in law this past christmas. I was highly impressed with the build quality and accessibility. They both loved the looks and the lack of noise (old case was a chincy Compaq case with a very loud 92mm fan).

As for the SATA issue... that's very odd. HDD size limitations in BIOS shouldn't be a factor at all, so maybe the drive is bad.

Nice setup. I bought the uATX Centurion and some Scythe silent fans as a gift for my sister and brother in law this past christmas. I was highly impressed with the build quality and accessibility. They both loved the looks and the lack of noise (old case was a chincy Compaq case with a very loud 92mm fan).

I actually got a Vantec Stealth 120mm for the front intake, and it's LOUD. It's vibrating badly, even though it's tight in the mount. Either the fan is bad, or it's 2-3mm far enough away from the intake grill that there's some air causing the "noise."

I like the build quality of the case -- just wish the tool-less design was more flexible. I need a lesson in wiring too. I'm going to redo everything again tonight, I think. Barring any additional SATA issues.

As for the SATA issue... that's very odd. HDD size limitations in BIOS shouldn't be a factor at all, so maybe the drive is bad.

I'm going to pull the 2nd 200GB Maxtor from my Shuttle (I've used both before in a RAID 0 when I first got both drives) and see if it has the same problem. I may just have a dead drive, as you noted.

IronChefMorimoto

SATA II ports are backward compatible to SATA I.

I've built the 541 several times now and thought the ability to wire was above average. Also, I've used PSU's with 120mm fan in the bottom and no case fans with 4200+ X2's and E6300 C2D's I've built with Zalman HSF's. The run quiet and cool.

My 541 is running very cool. Having major issues with the SATA-I hard drive that I'm using getting hammered during BF2, though. Audio seems to make everything choppy. Not sure what it is...
  • 1GB only of DDR?
  • NForce4 IDE drivers? I've switched over to Windows IDE drivers for now.
  • SoundMax audio on the board going wonky? I've disabled the front ports on the 541 at the recommendation of a friend.

Anyone?

IronChefMorimoto

OK -- update on my build. After removing the front panel audio header from the motherboard, I'm not having as many audio issues. I think I'm going to get SATA2 drives to replace my SATA1 drives. I just can't justify spending $150 on PC3200 DDR which I won't ever use again in another upgrade. Hopefully, it'll speed up my system a little with texture heavy games like BF2.

On a cooling note -- the Vantec Stealth and my Panaflos are loud. I posted a separate listing asking about Scythe fans -- I think I'm going to replace my Vantec and Panaflos with a combination of Scythe low RPM fluid dynamic bearing and double-ball bearing fans.

I cannot remember - is ANYONE using a Zalman CNPS7700 CPU cooler in their Centurion 541? My motherboard is not listed as incompatible or compatible -- just curious.

Thanks,
IronChefMorimoto

I cannot remember - is ANYONE using a Zalman CNPS7700 CPU cooler in their Centurion 541? My motherboard is not listed as incompatible or compatible -- just curious.

Thanks,
IronChefMorimoto

I have one on my Biostar TForce 6100-939 in a Centurion 541. Not only fits but lines up perfect with the duct.

Opteron 144 (1.8Ghz o/c to 2.7Ghz.) Idles at 31°C Load at 44°C.

I have one on my Biostar TForce 6100-939 in a Centurion 541. Not only fits but lines up perfect with the duct.

Opteron 144 (1.8Ghz o/c to 2.7Ghz.) Idles at 31°C Load at 44°C.

Here are some pics of the inside of my case -- take a look and see if you notice any potential conflicts with this ASUS K8N-VM motherboard and the Zalman CNPS7700 cooler. If I don't hear from you (or anyone else, for that matter), I'll order one tomorrow and hope for the best.

Angle #1 looking at CPU from front of case
coolermaster_1.png

Angle #2 looking at CPU from front of case
coolermaster_2.png

Direct view of CPU from side of case
coolermaster_3.png

View of rat's nest due to BTX inverted PSU and motherboard configuration
coolermaster_4.png

Thanks for chiming in!

IronChefMorimoto

Looks like your CPU is located in the same place as mine.
One thing I like about this case is the floppy cage is removable, giving you some extra room in the case. (If you dont use a floppy that is.)

Looks like your CPU is located in the same place as mine.
One thing I like about this case is the floppy cage is removable, giving you some extra room in the case. (If you dont use a floppy that is.)

I may be putting a card reader (digital photography) in the 3.5" bay, so that'll have to stay.

Curious -- are my memory slots closer to the CPU than those on your TForce? Sadly, I'm going to have to remove the friggin' mobo to get the cooler on it. Should've waited to build this until I could get the 7700 (it was out of stock on Newegg.com when I bought the parts last week).

Thanks!

IronChefMorimoto

Back