Coolermaster GeminII

REPOST!

It looks like a great product. I'm curious how well it actually performs.

wow, guess size does matter, I dont like it,

Complete cooling solution cools CPU and its surrounding components (motherboard, memory, VRM, chipset and VGA cards)

Translation from marketing hype, blows hot air all over all your other components reducing their life in half, more in a case with bad airflow.

Flip those fans around and pull air thru the heatsink and exhaust it out the side of the pc ( where is my jigsaw ? ) would be highly interesting.

Strapping on HSFs this heavy cant be good for the m/board. Case makers should start making retention brackets to support the weight of these monsters.

Strapping on HSFs this heavy cant be good for the m/board. Case makers should start making retention brackets to support the wait of these monsters.

Just because it's large doesn't make it heavy. The Thermaltake Big Typhoon is rather large but is very light due to the use of aluminium fins. The heatpipes are copper, and they are the only things with substantial weight to them. Furthermore, The PCB's are tougher than you might think and the way the backplates are usually designed should leave very little if any stress on the actual board.

Just because it's large doesn't make it heavy. The Thermaltake Big Typhoon is rather large but is very light due to the use of aluminium fins. The heatpipes are copper, and they are the only things with substantial weight to them. Furthermore, The PCB's are tougher than you might think and the way the backplates are usually designed should leave very little if any stress on the actual board.

According to that hexus article the HSF weighs 847g. Now things might have changed, but my socket 478 is rated to handle something like 400g. I know that you can now get HSFs weighing up to 1 kg, but my point is that these are generally beyond the rated specification for any given motherboard.

Its probably not so much a problem if you dont move your case, but I have read horror stories where sockets have been ripped out due to the sheer weight of a massive HSF. This is the reason why alot of the bigger HSFs come with a disclaimer stating that they are not liable for damage arising from their use.

I know I would be pretty pissed if my m/board was fucked up due to a heavy HSF.

According to that hexus article the HSF weighs 847g. Now things might have changed, but my socket 478 is rated to handle something like 400g. I know that you can now get HSFs weighing up to 1 kg, but my point is that these are generally beyond the rated specification for any given motherboard.

Its probably not so much a problem if you dont move your case, but I have read horror stories where sockets have been ripped out due to the sheer weight of a massive HSF. This is the reason why alot of the bigger HSFs come with a disclaimer stating that they are not liable for damage arising from their use.

I know I would be pretty pissed if my m/board was fucked up due to a heavy HSF.

This is true, but the backplates take all the stress. The PCB isn't likely to bend or crack given the way the mounting holds and the weight are distributed. The biggest fear I would have is crushing the CPU itself. With LGA775 I can see some potential risk for damaging the socket itself. Even so, the engineers of the heatsink and fan units no doubt test for that before they sell this stuff. They don't want to end up getting sued because their product damages 90% of the boards they are installed on. Another point I'd like to make is that since we are all (at least almost all of us) are using tower cases, the full weight of these solutions does not sit on the CPU. Thus minimizing the risk of crushing the CPU while in operation.

That thing is just insane. One downside I could see is it could prevent the installation of exhaust fans just above the IO Plate because of how long it is.

Hmmmm would like to see a review on this.....might hold off on getting a zalman 9700. Being able to strap 2x120mm fans to a CPU HSF is just insane

It weighs less than my Zalman 7700 Cu. I have not ever had a socket ripped out. The only difference I see is that its center of gravity it away from the board quite a bit. As far as the reviewer on the other forum stated, it was the best at cooling. It also beat all the others on Northbridge cooling. The board was in open air and not in a case, so I have no idea what impact this will have. Cooler Master states it will be out later this month. This looks to be a very promising cooling solution.

This is true, but the backplates take all the stress. The PCB isn't likely to bend or crack given the way the mounting holds and the weight are distributed.

The backplate itself on my Abit AN832-SLi (one of the metal ones) literally snapped after installing a stock Opty heatsink. I was running Orthos and watching the temps with my case lying open on its side, and heard a loud 'snap' from the floor. Looked around, didn't see anything amiss, looked at CoreTemp and saw my temps skyrocketing... the metal standoff that the mounting bracket screws thread into separated from the rest of the backplate. Had my case been vertical, the heatsink itself might have dropped and taken out my video card or something. :p

It pretty much shattered my faith in mounting a heavy heatsink, haha. Bolt-through ftw!

just tie the hsf to the top of your case, problem solved in seconds!:D

According to CoolerMaster's spec sheet this thing at full load on a X6800 gets 47c after 30mins. I've not used there loading program but I'd be willing to beat that Orthos or TAT would give you even higher temps.
Not sure that those temps would justify my mounting a radiator from old Yugo in my case, but thats just me.

I'm looking forward to seeing your results. Do you have anything to compare it to?

I have a tuniq tower 120 and a zalman 9500, so i can compare the results with those two, lets see how everything goes... for $50, this isn't a bad deal.. if it really works...

will this badass fit in a antec 900?

In the HEXUS article that the OP posted, it says:
Hexus said:
Stating the obvious, with the Cooler Master GeminII space in your case is key. Cooler Master's literature shows it installed in the 830 Stacker as well as a Centurion 534 chassis, so there is no doubt the two most popular Cooler Master chassis are up to the task. Brief testing highlighted that it installed comfortably inside the Akasa Eclipse 62, Antec 900 and Thermaltake Eureka chassis, as well.
so yes, i think it will. I have that same case too (for my next build)! This looks amazing though, although, i could see were turning the fans the other way (pointing outside the case) might be an issue.

I wonder how well it will fit in an Antec P180. I need to measure when I get home.

fuck its OOS at newegg. goddamit! anyone kind enough to measure the antec 900 for me? :)

Well, with 2x 12cm fans blowing 3.5" from the proc, it's going to cool something off. Then with the enormous wingspan of the fins you know it's gotta be pretty good.

Any one got their grubby mits on one yet? I see that it is back in stock at Newegg.

Any one got their grubby mits on one yet? I see that it is back in stock at Newegg.

My GeminII came March 8th. I tried mounting it on my Striker Extreme last weekend. I'm still trying to get it attached to my MB. Cooler Master's mounting solution for Intel CPUs SUCKS!!

You get four plastic washers and four nuts for the back of the motherboard, no reinforcing plate. When I start to tighten the nuts the motherboard bows. When I tighten the heat sink fully the motherboard bows to the point that the heat sink on the motherboard next to the CPU separates from the components it's supposed to cool. I sent an email to Cooler Master's customer service over the weekend but haven't gotten a response yet. I then sent a message to their tech support on Monday, still haven't gotten a response yet. I finally called customer service on Wednesday and requested one of their "X" shaped plates, which may or may not work, when ever I finally get it.

Anyone else have an experience with GeminII??

I've read in the Asus Striker Extreme forum that mobo started to bend when installing this massive GeminII. I don't know if he did something wrong, but he saw the heatsink loosening from the chipsets while installing it.

Maybe bigger isn't always better.

For me personally. I like to go sometimes to a LAN. I don't want to worry each time I put my rig down, I will hear a *Boink* and seeing a cpu-cooler laying on the bottom of my case, with also a big nice cpu shaped hole in the mobo.

At the end, the E-Penis can become to big and it will hurt the...;)

I've read in the Asus Striker Extreme forum that mobo started to bend when installing this massive GeminII. I don't know if he did something wrong, but he saw the heatsink loosening from the chipsets while installing it.

That is most likely my post.

When i was installing this, i didn't experience any bending or anything..

to me this seems that this heatsink is lighter then a tuniq 120, but harder to install...

but as for temps..

stock temps (from core temp) at idle:

Core 1 28C
Core 2 27C

i'll update later with some overclocking...

to me this seems that this heatsink is lighter then a tuniq 120, but harder to install...

but as for temps..

Core 1 28C
Core 2 27C

Can you also tell us then what system you are running. (You can add this in your signature like many do), also what software you are using for measurement. Also of course we are more interested in full load temperatures. You can use Prime95 with the small FFT test for this.

Thank you

would i be better off getting this or using the aquagate mini coolermaster R120 water cooling thats in my pc now?

but as for temps..

Core 1 28C
Core 2 27C

As Kibosh suggested, your system specs would help. I would like to know just how noisy that sucker is.

Back