cooling a router?

Ladicius

Limp Gawd
I have the d-link 624 wifi router and it keeps rebooting everytime I overload it with lots of wifi downloading and uploading. I have searched the internet a bit and people are saying that the wireless chipset is overheating and is restarting the router as a result. So I have tried the recommended "sitting it on it's side" and it still has the same problem. Is there anyway to cool this chipset without cutting a hole in the bottom of the router and super gluing a fan to it? Has anyone seen mods like this?

isnt this the same type verizon was sending out for their fios? I dont think it has much to do with it overheating, but rather just being crap quality.. I had an actiontec or something like that from them, it would basically reset itself after about 1 minute of uploading/downloading php files to my website(like when uploading a new install of phpbb or something). I changed over to a linksys and havent had any issues since

well, I can upload/download fine with a single connection, but if you use more than that (htpc and laptop) it becomes overloaded and will reset every 15 to 30 minutes. If the case is of it overheating, there has to be a simple cooling solution, if not simple then cut the bottom to pieces and slap on an 80mm fan.

Anyone have an idea of how to power an 80mm fan on a router?

a quick check of their website reveals a 5V power source for your router. Graba nice fan that spins up at 5V, solder it in where the power connection comes into the circuit board, chop hole, voila! quiet and cool router!:D

I don't know how much time its going to cost you to do this mod, but the DI 624 is plagued with problems as it is. I don't know about superglue, but I have thermal paste + epoxy that should be the correct thing to use. And if you don't have it already its probably gonna run you like maybe $10-$12 shipped. That and the heatsink, maybe you can dig around some old hardware like video cards, HSF's etc and find one that fits, but really this is gonna use up a lot of your time.

Here is my plan:
- Take of the casing around the router.
- Find out where the wireless chip is
- match it up with the case
- cut a nice hole in the case (dremel)
- adhere an 80mm fan to the case
- solder fan leads onto pcb

Hopefully it works at the end and if it doesn't, no loss, it's a pos anyways.

Still looking for ideas on how to cool it without doing all those steps though, any advice is appreciated.

Or spend $50 and get a better router. The DI-624 is a joke. I had one and went to the DGL-4300.

why would I spend 50 bucks on a new router when I can fix this one for free? and the DGL-4300 is 126 bucks :p

The 80mm fan is probably the cheapest way to fix this. However, I agree about getting the better version...when it comes to my network gear I usually don't skimp in the least and try to get the best quality equipment I can to ensure a good stable connection without any problems.

Back