Cooling Lian-Li PC1200-B

DemisE

Limp Gawd
It seems that I have encountered a cooling issue with my 1200B. While gaming if the side panel is on after approx 30min of gaming my screen will go black and get a sound loop. At first I thought this was a problem with the game but as it turns out if I take the side panel off I can play without incident.

Currently for cooling I have
2x 120mm Case fans.
Zalman Heatsink and Fan for CPU Cooling
Arctic Cooling NV5 Silencer Rev 2

My office has 4 Workstations in it and the temp stays around 78-82F in the summer time. What I am looking for is the best way to either cool my office or more specifically get my PC cool enough so I can keep the case panels on and game my little heart out. I know the cooling equipment should be sufficent for a non overclocked system but something is definatly amiss.

IMO the Zalmans (7xxx series I assume) are about quietude over a best aircooling solution, but should be more than adaquate for a non-oc'd setup. Is it running at its highest rated speed? Is it seated properly? AS5 (the right amount applied to the chip) is better than the white goop or factory paste. That case is zoned for heat and is top rated for aircooling. It would have to be pretty messy in there to interupt case flow with the 2x120's and that big 'ol Zalman. Personally I'd reseat everything, including the gfx cooler, with quality thermal compound to eliminate that issue and go from there.

From your sig, it looks like you've got the graphics card OC'd. If I remember correctly, the stock speed is 350/1000. Try setting the card back to stock speeds. Also, run the rthdribl demo and watch your card temperature settings (to do this, stretch the real time lighting demo window so that it is nearly maximized, with the temperature of your card showing underneath in the corner). Also monitor your CPU temp and make sure they're acceptable (or report them back here).

As Toonage recommended, reseating the components could help - but I'd check the temp sensors to verify your suspicions (about those two devices) first.

sadvocate said:
From your sig, it looks like you've got the graphics card OC'd. If I remember correctly, the stock speed is 350/1000. Try setting the card back to stock speeds. Also, run the rthdribl demo and watch your card temperature settings (to do this, stretch the real time lighting demo window so that it is nearly maximized, with the temperature of your card showing underneath in the corner). Also monitor your CPU temp and make sure they're acceptable (or report them back here).

As Toonage recommended, reseating the components could help - but I'd check the temp sensors to verify your suspicions (about those two devices) first.

The card has been at stock speeds since the problem started. I have replaced the cooling system on the GPU from the NV5 to the NV5 Rev2 to see if this would help. The CPU Heatsink has also been reseated a couple of times. Ambient temps are around 67c. I don't recall the load temps of the GPU though.

Back