Cooling recommendations for 7800GTX 256 SLI please

tenjuna

Limp Gawd
hello all...I have a pair of bfg oc 7800gtx cards in sli, and I am seeing mid 80s for temps while playing games, which is a bitt too high for my taste.

I am looking for some recommendations for replacement of the stock cooling for both cards. using an Asus A8N Premium mobo.

I have plenty of room, but I cannot have full length cooling solutions (such as the Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 Rev. 3 VGA Cooler). the slot below the bottom card is available as well.

my first thought was to do water cooling, but so far all the info I can find is very confusing. I will consider suggestions, but only if they are noob-friendly. I have no desire to hack apart my case to make it work.

I am currently leaning towards the ARCTIC COOLING ACCELERO X1 NVIDIA 6800, 7800, AND 7800GTX VGA COOLER.

I would like to see some suggestions...thanks for your help!

I wouldn't worry about those temps too much as it won't affect your performance, but for piece of mind, the Zalman VF900 might lower them a little. Of course you might void your warranty on the card so be wary.

not concerned about warranty at all. I got these off ebay for dirt cheap.

my conern is the temps seem pretty high to me, and since its relatively cheap to fix that, it's worth it for the peace of mind.

edit: anyway from other posts I have made it seems the X1 or the zalman 900...does anyone have any opinions on which one is better, or is it just pick one and go?

I'm thinking of picking up a pair of X1's myself.
To me the Zalman is way to expensive.

I just found out something about the Accelero that has changed my mind.
The screws for removing the plastic shroud are on the bottom of the heatsink. So in order to clean the dust out of the heatsink fins you have to remove the cooler from your vid card. :(

Linky On the second page.

I went ahead and purchased 2 of the zalman 900s, hopefully that will take care of my problems.

thanks for the replies!

Back