Cool'n'quiet in vista?

metazoan

n00b
Has anybody been able to get cool'n'quiet working in vista? It was working in XP but I cannot seem to get it working in 5728. There is no "minimal power management" option and on power save mode it does not work. My mobo is a asus a8n-vm csm with the latest XP drivers.

thanks
andrew

Why do you want to use C'n'Q anyway? What's the point of buying a fast cpu if you are going to hobble it with C'n'Q?

For one who said he bought a "fast" CPU? Second why do you care about it? CnQ BARELY (1 fpsish ) lowers anything but the noise :p Maybe he bought an FX 62 and just wants stock speeds, so what.

To OP: Try setting it in your motherboard, that's where I can set mine..

It is only an Athlon 64 3000+, but it is being used on an htpc so I don't need speed. I tried setting it on mobo but that is not enough.

Gatticus said:
Why do you want to use C'n'Q anyway? What's the point of buying a fast cpu if you are going to hobble it with C'n'Q?

Gatticus said:

CnQ clocks down the CPU when you aren't using it.

OP: CnQ works for me, check that you have it enabled in your BIOS.

Tylerdurdened said:
For one who said he bought a "fast" CPU? Second why do you care about it? CnQ BARELY (1 fpsish ) lowers anything but the noise :p Maybe he bought an FX 62 and just wants stock speeds, so what.

Screw you mofo. :) CnQ slows down your cpu by 1000mhz. Again, why would you buy say a 2ghz cpu and then run it at 1ghz?

But he answered my question, it is for HTPC.

Gatticus said:
Screw you mofo. :) CnQ slows down your cpu by 1000mhz. Again, why would you buy say a 2ghz cpu and then run it at 1ghz?

But he answered my question, it is for HTPC.

Because it takes only a fraction of a ms to change back to 2000MHz, and it wastes less power and produces less heat, leading to longer CPU life and higher levels of stability?

Maybe mommy and daddy are paying for your power, but for the rest of us, we pay for hydro. Wasting resources is dumb. :p

Then you better turn off your PC every minute you are not using it seeing as you care so much about saving a few bucks a month on your hydro bill. CnQ can cause issues with some PC games, the CnQ doesn't always kick up to it's rated speed. How is that more stable? If your cpu isn't stable running at it's nominal speed then you've got other issues. Knowing that, why would I bother to use it to save my Mommy and Daddy a few bucks a month? They can afford it.

Gatticus said:
Then you better turn off your PC every minute you are not using it seeing as you care so much about saving a few bucks a month on your hydro bill. CnQ can cause issues with some PC games, the CnQ doesn't always kick up to it's rated speed. How is that more stable? If your cpu isn't stable running at it's nominal speed then you've got other issues. Knowing that, why would I bother to use it to save my Mommy and Daddy a few bucks a month? They can afford it.
I hope you have kids someday so they can say the same thing to you while you are paying the bills.

Gatticus said:
The longer you run a CPU at a higher voltage, the sooner it will become unstable, even at stock. Or, rather, the longer you run it at reduced voltage (ie, all the time you're not using it) the longer it will last.

metazoan said:
It is only an Athlon 64 3000+, but it is being used on an htpc so I don't need speed. I tried setting it on mobo but that is not enough.
Download the drivers from the AMD website as well

Why is someone stating that CnQ is worthless? i love the fact that my cpu runs cooler when im barely using it and i know it will go to full speed while playing games or using 100 percent cpu. Big deal there is like no FPS loss with it enabled since it changes right away

can anybody point me in the direction of the AMD vista drivers? I have tried the XP drivers but still no c'n'q. or do I need to wait for ASUS to have Vista drivers? Thanks in advance.

andrew

Tylerdurdened said:
Download the drivers from the AMD website as well

luke51087 said:
Why is someone stating that CnQ is worthless? i love the fact that my cpu runs cooler when im barely using it and i know it will go to full speed while playing games or using 100 percent cpu. Big deal there is like no FPS loss with it enabled since it changes right away
There's a thread around here about how it CnQ has really minimal (but still does) performance loss when enabled... quite a few people posted 3Dmark results with it on and off, but the scores were neglectible... something like a 100 point different in 3Dmark05. You can look it up if you want, I don't remember the name of it though
Edit: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1097297

Tylerdurdened said:
There's a thread around here about how it CnQ has really minimal (but still does) performance loss when enabled... quite a few people posted 3Dmark results with it on and off, but the scores were neglectible... something like a 100 point different in 3Dmark05. You can look it up if you want, I don't remember the name of it though
ROFL! I wouldn't tell the 3DMark zealots here that 100 points is insignificant -- in their eyes that 100 points could mean the difference between being a MAN and being a BOY. :p

I've never had a problem with CnQ on any machines that use it.

Running an AM2 3800+ X2 on Vista RC2. As long as I have the option turned on in the bios, CnQ works. You can even see the CPU frequency in the Resource Monitor (Reliability and Performance Monitor) and how it scales as CPU usage goes up and down.

Doesn't seem to be any problem.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
The longer you run a CPU at a higher voltage, the sooner it will become unstable, even at stock. Or, rather, the longer you run it at reduced voltage (ie, all the time you're not using it) the longer it will last.

I've never had a cpu fail on me or become "unstable" since 1989 so that is the least of my worries.

luke51087 said:

As I have already said, there have been a few cases in some games where it doesn't change speed when starting the game. Anyway, I paid for a 2.2ghz cpu, not a 1ghz cpu.

I've only ever encountered this when using RMClock to fiddle with CnQ manually, or if the app was broken with dual core anyway and I had to set affinity in Task Manager. Other than that, no problems.

The time that you need that 2.2 GHz is far less than the time when 1 GHz will suffice. Reading a forum? Your processor will cycle 2.2 billion times for each second you read, and each of those cycles will spent telling the CPU it has nothing to do. Most day-to-day tasks, in fact, can be accomplished at 1 GHz or one of the intermediate speed grades. The moment your processor needs 2.2 GHz, it's there.

Back