Cool'n'Quite Problem >.<

TeeJay

Gawd
Hi guys...I had this problem since I built this PC but never had the time to talk about it, anyway, here it is:

Specs:

CPU: PhII 965 C3
MoBo: Crosshair III
CnQ is enabled in the BIOS.

My windows is up to date, downloaded all the latest drivers from ASUS\AMD and Win 7 took care of the rest.

Anyway, whenever I turn on C'n'Q, it would do what it's supposed to do which is lower the multiplier and voltage of the CPU...But when I throw in only about 15% of CPU usage the PC would crash...

I remember when I had my Phenom 9950 it used to work fine even with 100% load, no crash or anything.

Does anyone know anything about this? I really need a fix for it, because the CPU gets too hot without the A\C blasting. It would idle at 50c.

Thanks in advance,

Tj

50c at idle it's too high IMO with a PII 965 C3, are you using the stock HSF or OC'ing ?
Do you have at least the 1003 BIOS ?
According to AMD that CPU has a max operating temperature of 62*C.

I have to agree a 50C idle is a serious issue and needs to be corrected in hardware first. My 965 with a stock heatsink in a Skeleton case was only running 28C without CnQ at 3.8 GHz.

I'm using an ASUS LionSquare HSF.I have the latest BIOS...

The problem is not with the HSF. I mentioned that without the A\C working in my room, my room's temp gets 35-40c. It's hot where I live so it doesn't help unless the A\C is on. With the A\C working, things are perfect, it idles at 26 or even lower most of the times...

And yes I've applied the thermal paste correctly...The problem is the weather in my country, so I have to fix C'n'Q...

Thanks for the replies though

Cool and Quiet only kicks in when the CPU is idling. Once you start using up 50% or more of one core (not sure on these numbers), it will come out of Cool and Quiet mode, and increase the multiplier and voltage to handle the increased load.

The problem you're describing seems to either be a faulty CPU, motherboard, or RAM. Run memtest and prime95 to try and see where the problem is, if you can, swap out the motherboard for a different one.

Cool and Quiet only kicks in when the CPU is idling. Once you start using up 50% or more of one core (not sure on these numbers), it will come out of Cool and Quiet mode, and increase the multiplier and voltage to handle the increased load.

The problem you're describing seems to either be a faulty CPU, motherboard, or RAM. Run memtest and prime95 to try and see where the problem is, if you can, swap out the motherboard for a different one.

I doubt that, I've been using this setup for almost 6 months now, not even a single problem...

Try using PhenomMsrTweaker. It'll allow you to disable CnQ in the BIOS, but still enjoy the benefits of lower speed/voltage/temps. As a big plus, it's fully customizable. I had my X4 idle at 1.5Ghz at only .0985V. Temps were only a couple of degrees higher than ambient.

I doubt that, I've been using this setup for almost 6 months now, not even a single problem...

I wouldn't doubt it on the spot. Maybe something gave out like one of your memory sticks or maybe one of the cache on the CPU. Who knows but I would test anyway.

I had quality motherboards like an ASUS P5Q Pro just randomly die one day after owning it a year. Just a fluke.

Back