cord hanging

vamp

Limp Gawd
A friend of mine is a mini-disc fanatic, and he hangs his earbud-style headphones on the wall when he's not using them so the cords will stay straight. Does having squished or tangled cords really damage and degrade the quality of audio in earphones at a noticeble level, if any? I used to use a set of sony's that at one time had a little exposed wiring, but they worked just fine.

The actual wires are so small that I doubt anything noticeable could result, unless of course it's cut. Now if we were talking 1/4" cables for guitars, mics, etc., then you want to at least gently coil them and not wrap them like a fireman wraps a firehose around his elbow and hand.

It's not like they come in the box all nice and straight. They come coiled in some fashion.

its an earbud thing, some folks like their wires to lay flat, and not bunch up, so they come up with ways to keep the wire from coiling up, etc.

myself, I think it's too much trouble.

i thought i was the only one who stored their earbuds like that :rolleyes: . i do this for a reason, while bending the wires probably isnt good (try bending a paperclip back and forth, youll find it will eventually break). i doubt that coiling it will affect the sound. i hang mine like that so that the wire has no memory, it lays flat against my chest.

ah, they won't break on you that quickly, copper wire is amazingly flexible, and also being coated with insulation also works as a support to minimize sharp bends, which will wear a wire out.

Think about this, fiber optic line is GLASS...not plastic, not polymer...GLASS...and it bends around jsut fine because it's sheathed in a material that allows it to bend while being supported enough that it doesn't snap.....same concept applies to cables.

Oh, and don't go cuttting fiber optic cables to prove it, the exposed filament is considered hazardous materials, since it can go into the skin and be a real pain to get out. Just making a point that if it works for glass, it will work for the far more flexible copper ;)

Back