Core i7 2600K Dead?

Sean

[H] for Life
Hey,

I am just suprised that this processor died. I was working in my system adding and SSD, powered it all down, did everything I should. I powered it back up and wouldn't post. Removed the video cards, all the drives, etc still wouldn't post. Took out all the ram, no errors, changed to stock cooler, no post. Replaced the board and with the new board it doesn't post either. The red Processor error LED is still on, Checked all the pins, all good, looked at the processor no scortching or any damage.

Anyone just have a processor up and die? This is usually a rare occurance.

I have seen one i5 3470 that arrived DOA. It happens, but it's really, really rare.

I've had a socket A Athlon die a sudden death. Was browsing, everything locked up and never posted again until I replaced the CPU.

Anyway, that's why I always remove power to my PC when working inside it, even if it's something as anemic as adding an SSD. Never know when something might contact something it shouldn't and send power to a place power shouldn't be.

I can't answer the vCore, but I didn't adjust it, it was at 4.0 GHZ when it died. It wasn't even a hard push, it was tested at Prime 95 almost 6 to 8 months ago, and I have had it up and running flawlessly since Oct 1st 2011.

This may sound redundant, but have you tried clearing the cmos on both boards?

Yep, both. The second board powers up, then shuts down and restarts. The first board did nothing just started and sat there. I think what ever happened, the board killed the processor or the processor killed the board. I have no idea. The chip is on it's way to intel and a replacement will be coming back. I'll post my finding in a week or so when the new chip arrives.

You probably destroyed the first board and CPU together with electro-static discharge. Unless you had grounded wristband when working, you wont find out that you for sure didn't kill it not intentionally.

Yep, both. The second board powers up, then shuts down and restarts. The first board did nothing just started and sat there. I think what ever happened, the board killed the processor or the processor killed the board. I have no idea. The chip is on it's way to intel and a replacement will be coming back. I'll post my finding in a week or so when the new chip arrives.

I have a feeling that the issue is the PSU, not the cpu itself..It would be quite strange for the system to POST if the cpu where bad..I would invest in a new PSU or borrow one from a friend when you get the cpu back and test it before trying your current one..

If it powers up with a different PSU, do not risk trying your old PSU again..There is a good chance you could actually end up killing the new MB and cpu for good..

Post the rest of your system specs and we can help you find a good deal on a decent PSU that doesn't cost a ton of money..There is a great Antec 400Wish PSU that NE sells for under $40, and it is actually made by Sea Sonic, and is a great buy..

I have had a PSU power a system for many weeks without turning off. Then when I powered it back on it failed to turn on. PSU was bad the whole time. Was just weird. I bet your PSU is fragged.

I have a feeling that the issue is the PSU, not the cpu itself..It would be quite strange for the system to POST if the cpu where bad..I would invest in a new PSU or borrow one from a friend when you get the cpu back and test it before trying your current one..

If it powers up with a different PSU, do not risk trying your old PSU again..There is a good chance you could actually end up killing the new MB and cpu for good..

Post the rest of your system specs and we can help you find a good deal on a decent PSU that doesn't cost a ton of money..There is a great Antec 400Wish PSU that NE sells for under $40, and it is actually made by Sea Sonic, and is a great buy..

As far as I am aware, you do not need a cpu installed for a mobo to post, it would be pissed off and tell ya about it, but it should post, but just not boot.

PSU's can do weird shit, I had an HTPC PC going playing games fine and suddenly my breaker tripped. Weird.. so I go outside and reset it and go back inside and play more games on the HTPC. 45 minutes later I hear a pop and the HTPC dies, PSU cap exploded. :|

As far as I am aware, you do not need a cpu installed for a mobo to post, it would be pissed off and tell ya about it, but it should post, but just not boot.

Not really sure where you got that information, but I have never had a system power on without a cpu in place, let alone "POST"....:confused:

Some newer boards will let you go as far as doing a BIOS update without a CPU (or so i've read) but yeah, I've never had a board POST without a CPU either.

I had a Core i7 2600K die on me about a year ago I had to send into RMA. I've had two bad processors in 5 years. The other one a Pentium D I purchased used.

Just got my 2600K back from intel (Fast as hell, and a brand new one arrived).

It was the processor. Installed the new one and it powered right up.

As for electro-static, sure but I had a wrist band! I am still baffled.

A wrist band is only as good as the place you connect it to, I always find a good ground for it (1 ohm on a meter is a good ground). It dosent sound like that was the case but I have seen people connect the strap to a wooden table so I figured I would leave this here.

Just got my 2600K back from intel (Fast as hell, and a brand new one arrived).

It was the processor. Installed the new one and it powered right up.

As for electro-static, sure but I had a wrist band! I am still baffled.

lol that is strange for sure although it really shouldn't be given my own experience. I find most of the time my hardware dies isn't while in mid-use, rather when powered down and powered back on. It's how I had a video card randomly die as well as my own fricken monitor which still baffles me to this day.

At least they took care of you good and proper :p

Yes,

Get this. Was getting strange issues with the PC, just didn't seem stable. It was a display port cable that was shorting the board out! I had rebooted during a windows update and bam, wouldn't post. Removed the display port cable and BAM it booted.

I have since removed it and gone DVI. HELLS!

Theres a big fight going on over whats better between dvi and displayport over in the display section in the acheiva shimian thread. You should post this over there :D

Back