Core i7 @ 4ghz on air - Temps OK?

RandysWay

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello everybody,

I'm running a Core i7 at 4ghz on air (Ultra 120 Extreme), with a 190 BCLK (x21 Multiplier, Turbo Mode..). I'm running at 1.30 volt and it seems to be completely stable with Prime 95. Temps are around 80-85 c at load. Is it too hot or will it be fine?

Specs in my sig.

Thank you,
-R

those are the kind of temps i am getting, a little higher bclk and vcore tho. i was wondering the same thing. i am seeing a very wide range of temps from arouind the same vcore, hs/f, clock speed. some guys are getting around 34c idle, i am getting 50c. my prime95 temps are around 80c, but real life i dont go over 65c or so. this is with ht enabled and disabled, with a true black w/ high speed fan.

those are the kind of temps i am getting, a little higher bclk and vcore tho. i was wondering the same thing. i am seeing a very wide range of temps from arouind the same vcore, hs/f, clock speed. some guys are getting around 34c idle, i am getting 50c. my prime95 temps are around 80c, but real life i dont go over 65c or so. this is with ht enabled and disabled, with a true black w/ high speed fan.

Thanks for the reply! As far as idle temps, I am idling at about 40c. I'm the same as you - while I see around 85c with Prime 95, I usually don't go over 65c in real world conditions, as nothing truly stresses my CPU as much as Prime 95 yet. The only things I have changed in the bios is the DIMM Voltage (1.64 volts), BCLK (190) and VCORE (1.30).

Thanks,
-R

These kinds of temperatures seem to be pretty commonplace with the i7 chips, so I wouldn't worry about anything. Considering they get around this hot at stock speeds using the stock cooler, it shouldn't be a problem.

He has turbo enabled on his motherboard. You can manually select up to 20 in the BIOS, but turbo mode allows you to take advantage of the 21x multi.

hmm I have same mb, where is the turbo setting, not seeing it in the bios.

Thanks for the reply! As far as idle temps, I am idling at about 40c. I'm the same as you - while I see around 85c with Prime 95, I usually don't go over 65c in real world conditions, as nothing truly stresses my CPU as much as Prime 95 yet. The only things I have changed in the bios is the DIMM Voltage (1.64 volts), BCLK (190) and VCORE (1.30).

Thanks,
-R

If you want to really stress your CPU give this a try

I bet you hit 100° within seconds

If you have Winamp you can also use AVS to stress the cpu also. You need a higher resolution monitor to really stress it though. Graphics are calculated on the cpu only and with higher res means more calculations. Plus it is really frickin. cool. Not really a bench so to say unless you use the same AVS preset and res as it will display FPS.

With a newer processor and HDTV this stuff would look killer. I have a X2 and a 1440x900 monitor and If I don't do pixel doubling then the FPS drop to around 10-20 depending on the preset. Can't wait to see what a quad will do for it. No pixel doubling needed !!

Back