Core I7 Air Coolers?

a5i2c

Weaksauce
Is it just me or are there very few options at the moment for a core I7 cpu heatsink and fan?
I know of the Thermalright but what about the other main players like Zalman?

I would think everyone would be on the ball with this new release. It's been known for some time now that it was coming out.
Is there anything else out there?

the TRUE120 eXtreme 1366 kits are shipping (read: backordered) now, along with the 1366 brackets that you can get (readily available) seperately.

Thermalright and Noctua both have coolers out, with Xigmatek also coming out with an LGA1366 bracket soon (I believe it's supposed to be released this month). Zalman is also coming out with their CNPS9900 which will come ready to be mounted to an LGA1366 socket, but I doubt it'll perform as well as the other top coolers. I think Coolermaster is also coming out with one or more i7 heatsinks. Expect many more to become available as time goes on.

Cooler Master also have the V8 on the market at frozen cpu, currently out of stock but is on the list of possibilties.

TRUE Copper Extreme or the black edition. Both come with 1366 mounts and the Copper one also comes with the 1366 reinforcement bracket in some deals/packages.

based on the heat generated in the i7 overclocking video here on [H]...i'd be running nothing less than a TRUE and i'd probably setup a push/pull fan setup for piece of mind...

any serious clocks with i7 look like they'll be done on water after looking at that...82c temps? yikes...

the coolermaster v8 gets my 920 to 3.4ghz and generates 63'c of heat prime loaded.

Correction the temperature is 63C at full load. Degrees C isn't a measure of heat produced. One has to understand that the Core i7 produces quite a bit more heat than the average CPU because A. they have four CPUs on one die and B. they have a TDP of 130 in comparison to a TDP of 95 for most of the Core 2 Quads (with exception to the extremes). So that's 130 watts of each at stock volts and clock that need to be dumped, any significant increase in clock or vcore will add additional energy that the cooler must dissipate. So point blank if you are using stock cooling you won't be doing much overclocking, and if you are using air you are probably not going to get very far either. Anyways that is just my take on the Core i7.

Hey if i run stock cooler for now its not too hard to remove it & add another one as more coolers come on the market?

the coolermaster v8 gets my 920 to 3.4ghz and generates 63'c of heat prime loaded.

I'm getting around 65c @ 3.4ghz on stock cooling according to my evga eleet temp monitor. Forking the money over for the V8 based on what you have said doesn't seem worthwhile.

You sure that thing is seated correctly? What is your ambient temp?

Hey if i run stock cooler for now its not too hard to remove it & add another one as more coolers come on the market?

Depends on the cooler. But most of them will require to remove the motherboard, to add backplate under it. That's why when I got my parts yesterday I was waiting for assembling a system till tomorrow I got my Noctua - didn't want to screw the mobo into chassis to have it removed next day :)

I'm getting around 65c @ 3.4ghz on stock cooling according to my evga eleet temp monitor. Forking the money over for the V8 based on what you have said doesn't seem worthwhile.

You sure that thing is seated correctly? What is your ambient temp?

i pulled the cooler off after first installing it to see if i was getting adequate coverage, and i was. i'm dumping an additional .03v into the chip for prime stability and when i checked on it the next morning, core temp read the hottest core at 63'c. the system monitoring software that came with the mobo read 49'c but it didn't seem right to me so i went with what core temp displays.

Back