Correct VCore voltage for amd 4400?

Antonius

Limp Gawd
I was curious if I should have a higher VCore voltage on my 4400. It is showing at 1.296 in Asus probe and am wondering if it should be higher (I have not changed anything..that is what it is defaulting to) and if it SHOULD be higher, than maybe could that be causing BSODs?

the processors have variable voltages so it fluctuates...thats prolly why its reading...although ive never seen mine read below like 1.35

Why raise it if it's stable?

I can run 1.024v at stock 1.6ghz... and only 1.4v at 2.2ghz

Antonius said:
I was curious if I should have a higher VCore voltage on my 4400. It is showing at 1.296 in Asus probe and am wondering if it should be higher (I have not changed anything..that is what it is defaulting to) and if it SHOULD be higher, than maybe could that be causing BSODs?

What is it set to in the BIOS? Asus probe isn't going to be perfectly accurate. The voltage will usually droop when the system isn't under load in software monitors.

serbiaNem said:
Ouch, the master not reading the post... Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. ;)
typical of me ;)

and reading his post, he doesn't directly say that he's getting bsods, just wondering if low voltage could be causing them. :p

Antonius, you should be able to run stock speeds with that much voltage.. one thing i want you to try before messing with the cpu voltage.. bump up ram voltage (vdimm) to 2.7v

I do not have cool and quiet enabled. I tried to raise the voltage to 2.85 as corsair says to if you are running 4 sticks of the XL ram on this board. Nothing. Still get crashes. I finally tried changing the ram to 333 (which is the speed that the old AMD 64 runs ddr400 at if you have 4 sticks) and latency of 2.5 3 3 5 and it seems stable now. However, I KNOW people are running the Asus A8N-SLI deluxe board, the amd 4400 dual core with the toledo core and 4 sticks of the Corsair 3200XL ram at 400mhz and 2225...so what gives? I did not get an AMD 4400 and 2gb of extra low latency ram to run it at 2.5 3 3 5 and ddr333 speed.

go ahead and bump the vcore to see if it eliminates the problem, but from my experience undervolting these chips isn't a very big deal, and it should still be stable at that vcore, though cooling/temp info would be helpful as well.

I am running it at 2T. Never even TRIED 1t hehe. This is related to the info I posted in another thread, so I will repost the contents of that in here to further aid any help. The thing is running pretty stable at DDR333 but that is GROSSLY unacceptable as a solution hehe. I didn't pay almost $400 for extra Low latency ddr400 that is supposed to work on this processor in sets of 4 sticks at 2-2-2-5. Other people are doing it too..so I know it can be done.

Cut and pasted from thread http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=927551 just in case you don't feel like opening another browser.

I recently built a new system and have had repeated random crashing and BSODs. I have tried everything I can think of and still nothing. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to share as I am at the end of my rope. It crashes randomly anywhere from a few minutes after being on to a day later. While it is just sitting there. Temperatures are all normal by the way (monitoring at several points). MB stays around 37-39 and CPU from 34-51 when I play a game.

First of all..specs.

AMD 4400+
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Bios 1011
2gb (4x512mb) Corsair 3200XL 2-2-2-5 ram
Seagate 200gb 7200.8
Enermax 600w SLI ps
7800 GTX BFG OC x2
CPU cooler is a Hyper 48 (Good LAWD Thats a lot of copper!)

Second, what I have done so far...
I have updated EVERY Driver to the newest and latest, including all the motherboard drivers.
I have installed windows twice with 2 different install CDs, to insure that they are good CDs. Once I tried SP1 and the other time, SP2..both gave same results.
I have run every hard drive utility from Seagate including all the deep scanning tests...nothing showing bad on HD.
I have loosened the timings on the RAM but kept it at ddr400(even though it is supposed to be guaranteed at 2225) and still random crashes.
I have used the default voltage on the RAM and the higher voltage of 2.85 as recommended by Corsair.

Third, what I have found in errors.

After using Windbg and reading the last few minidumps..it says that it seems to be a memory issue.
So I tested the memory with Memtest86 and Microsofts Memory tester and found errors in the memory after running both tests with all 4 sticks installed. So, I tested the sticks then in matched pairs only (took out one pair at a time), and ran both sets of tests on each pair individually, then took each pair and moved them to the other channel on the board and tested again with both tests, and then tested each stick individually...and NOTHING. No errors at all this time. I let each test run for hours so to have several passes.
I then put all four sticks back in and tested again (the same way I had them in before and found errors with both tests) and ran both tests. Nothing this time. No errors even after multiple passes. I then checked with Corsair and that is when I adjusted the voltage and STILL got the random BSODs.
The BSODs I have gotten include PFN list corrupt, Memory Management,
IRQ not equal to (or whatever that error says...something like that), Bad pool header and some other error (basically if it is a blue screen message, I have seen it). I am out of ideas since I was pretty sure it was a bad piece of ram at one point and now I can find no errors..so I do not know what to think. I was also thinking it might be one or more of the ram slots on the MB, but testing the sticks in various configurations across various slots has revealed nothing. Help? Nothing worse than a very high end machine I can't use.

Had the same problem with only 1 gtx. Been running fine for almost 3 days now after setting ram to 333 mhz and 2.5 3 3 5. What gives.

you shouldn't have to do this, but does tightening up the timings to stock help anything?

i dont know the first thing about voltages and timings and stuff. but does it seem like the 4Xdimm slots is the problem. when i was looking to buy my RAM, i was told that for gaming purposes 2X1 gig would be better than 4X512 mb because the 4 slots being used would overload the memory settings or something like that. please excuse my ignorance!

Athlon 64 X2 4400@ 2.6 Ghz
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
BFG 7800GTX OC
2X 1 gig CRUCIAL BALLISTIX PC4000
Silverstone Zeus 650 Watt PSU
Yada Yada Yada

My advice is to return the 4x512 and get 2x1gb to get rid of those problems. Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for, the 4 memory slot glitch is a pain... :rolleyes:

Well I would..but I really want low latency ram..and there is no ram at 1gb sticks that work with 2225 timings.

With your current setup, I doubt there is any ram that would do 2225 with 1T and 400mhz either :(

I do not want 1T..it would be nice..but i would be happy with 2225 and 400 at 2t

Antonius said:
I do not want 1T..it would be nice..but i would be happy with 2225 and 400 at 2t

You would get better performance with 2x1GB @2.5-2-2-5 and 1T than you would with 2225 and 2T

hmm..i am going to try screwing with it some more..but those 1g modules may be a good choice. i might just exchange the xl i have for 2 1g modules of that other stuff and see if i cant get 2.5 2 3 6 at 400 and 1t...wouldnt 2225 but..after this much hassle i will take it.

My Ballistix 2x1gb easily do 2225 in my pentium box I won't be able to test them in my new AN8-sli premium w/4400+ for a couple of weeks i'm afraid. Just ask others the pc4000 ballistix easily do 2225 or at least 2325. Mine do it up to ~210-215 on my ic7-max3.

if anything, the ballistix will probably need the cas raised to 2.5 before trcd rasied to 3 ;)

Precisely.... ;) just testing you. But they do run 2225 easy, and I personally cannot get any higher by dropping to 2325 or 2235. I always get the two middle numbers messed up is it 2235 that all the other "high performance" 2x1gb are rated at? I was just saying.... anyway :p

Hey not to highjack this thread but, Eclipse do you reccomend breaking in the crucial memory. I know you are very pro Crucial do you do it on yours? If so, should you do it when it is brand new? the reason i ask is because i'm using it in my p4 rig right now while it's memory is out to RMA with Geil. It'll eventually go into my AMD system when i finish it and i would prefer not to mess with it to much until then. the ic7-max3 has a problem with voltage over 2.8.

Thanks

your crucial probably won't need more than 2.8v.. i seem to have the only stick that likes lots of voltage.. curiously enough. haha. mine definitly did seem to do much better after using it at 2.8v for a while

and i've seen 1gb sticks at 2-3-2 (patriot) and 2-3-3/2.5-3-3 (corsair)

any thoughts on OCZs titanium series? they have a matched pair of 2 1g sticks rated at 2-3-2-5 at 400mhz.. i am thinking i should eaisly be able to get 2gb at 400 mhz using the 2 sticks instead of 4 and get 2-3-2-5 and 1T...thoughts?

the corsair cost me 190 per gb...so 380 total..the ocz titanium pair costs 331..hell it is cheaper.

on another note...when i install only 1 pair of the corsair xl..the bios autodetects the ram at 2.5-3-3-5 at 400mhz...not 2-2-2-5 like it should. what gives?

that happens.. some boards misread, some sticks misreport. *shrug*

that's a sick amount of money for ram though. i can get 2gb for 160

yeah..that is what i get for trying to buy the 'best'. going to try putting all 4 back in and setting voltage to 2.95 and see what happens as a last ditch since corsair says you can set it up that high without hurting anything. 2.85 did nothing to help stability.

well.. what voltages have you tried? tccd typically doesn't like that much voltage

well 2.95 made the system not boot properly. crashed and locked up as soon as i got into windows. trying 2.85 again after resetting the settings. running 2-2-2-5 with 2t and htt 5x at 2.85 and waiting for the crash. i am sure it will crash by tomorrow morning.

Antonius said:
well 2.95 made the system not boot properly. crashed and locked up as soon as i got into windows. trying 2.85 again after resetting the settings. running 2-2-2-5 with 2t and htt 5x at 2.85 and waiting for the crash. i am sure it will crash by tomorrow morning.

wait, are you running TCCD or winbond? TCCD likes higher latencies (3s or 4s) and higher frequencies, while winbond likes high voltage, tight timings, and lower frequency.

and trying to clock it at winbond latencies won't exactly make for a huge OC either...

problem is..i refuse to run ram that i specifically spent all that money for that is rated for 2225 at anything else. fundamentally wrong (not to mention a waste of $) to run it at slower speed. and of course Monarch will not help me out with an exchange

Back