Corsair 520HX and HD 6850 Crossfire?

exlink

Supreme [H]ardness
I was wondering if an overclocked Q9550 on an H50 and 2 HD 6850's running on crossfire could be run on a Corsair 520HX? I only have 1 hard drive, 1 optical and 3x120mm fans as additional hardware (excluding other obvious core parts).

No. I think you've basically gone over at that point.

No. I think you've basically gone over at that point.

I agree. While the HX520 can handle an overclocked i7-920, it cannot handle both an overclocked i7-920 and more than one single mid-range GPU at the same time. I have two hard drives, that 920 overclocked to 3.4GHz and a 1GB DDR5 GT 240 on my auxiliary editing rig with that HX520 - and even with some capacitor aging that setup needed only a 350W PSU (or more appropriately, one whose capacity is effectively 350W or greater). But two HD 6850s with an overclocked LGA 775 CPU of any type (or any OC'd LGA 1366 or 1156 CPU, for that matter)? Fuhgeddaboudit. Go with at least a 650W PSU (or better still, a good-quality 750W PSU).

I would not be so categorical. But you will certainly be cutting close. Depends a lot on the overclock as well.

the two Readeons will go around 270W and the CPU with overclock will go over 100W easy, so you will be looking at close to 400W, not taking all the rest of the build in account. Plus that is all on 12v rail, which maxes at 460W?

If you keep all at stock then you should be able to pull it of in my opinion.

I would not be so categorical. But you will certainly be cutting close. Depends a lot on the overclock as well.

the two Readeons will go around 270W and the CPU with overclock will go over 100W easy, so you will be looking at close to 400W, not taking all the rest of the build in account. Plus that is all on 12v rail, which maxes at 460W?

If you keep all at stock then you should be able to pull it of in my opinion.

Nominally, the total +12V capacity of the HX520 is 480W (40A). However, with capacitor aging, it's closer to 420W (35A).

you could possibly boot/run with that PS but you would be running it at such a limit that longevity would be severely limited, also you chance that when the PS fails it taking the rest of the system with it(even though that chance is low being a Corsair). I would upgrade to a 700+

Nominally, the total +12V capacity of the HX520 is 480W (40A). However, with capacitor aging, it's closer to 420W (35A).

I don't know when people started referencing cap degradation, however if a (recently) high end power supply like the hx is losing almost 15% of its power in two years, we are all doomed.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Last edited:
LOL I'm running an AMD B55 X4 at 3.8ghz and a 4870X2 on an HX520 and its running fine. Also have two HDD's one optical and 5 120mm fans.

Using a Kill-a-Watt (i know not the most reliable) its maxing at 510w under both furmark and prime95.

I think it will handle those two cards just fine.

I have to agree, I think it would handle that setup fine. The real question is just about how much cushion you want. Most people running that kind of hardware opt for a bigger cushion running a higher output psu.

While I think this is too close to the max official limit of the psu, I think too many people instantly think a computer uses a ton of power. I think this will definitely work, but it'll be on the high side of your psu's max.

Gonna hijack this thread a bit.

I have the HX520 and a Q9550 as well but my question is will the performance of the GTX 470 be degraded due to the power supply?

The 9550 is overclocked to 3.4 and the GTX 470 is overclocked to 800 core.

-Flake

Back