Corsair 6400c4 memtest86+ failing

saan44

Gawd
I just put together a new C2D system with Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 modules. I plugged inthe specified settings for the RAM (4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v) in the bios and it booted up. However, I overclocked the computer - keeping the RAM at the stock 400MHz - pushing my e6400 to 3.2GHz. It did fine and went through 24 hours of Orthos small FFTs no problem. Then I ran memtest86+ and got a number of errors on assorted test (mostly 2, 3, and 6).

I figured it was probably due to the overclock giving insufficient power to the DIMMs or stressing the northbridge too much or something of that nature so I dropped everything back to stock and ran memtest again with the same results.

I'm currently exchanging messages with the Tech Support Express at Corsair to hopefully get an RMA approved, but it's rather inefficient. I was wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions on other things to try?

Specs of the rig are in my sig and based on both the bios monitor, speedfan, and coretemp none of the temperatures are particularly outrageous even when overclocked.

Have you disabled Legacy USB Support in the bios? ASUS MOBOs have a conflict with Memtest and Legacy USB Support must be disabled for the test to run properly.

Also, are you having stability issues or, is Memtest the only issue you have seen?

Have you disabled Legacy USB Support in the bios? ASUS MOBOs have a conflict with Memtest and Legacy USB Support must be disabled for the test to run properly.

Also, are you having stability issues or, is Memtest the only issue you have seen?
Yes, when I've run memtest, legacy support has been disabled.

The only stability issue I had was that the computer would shut itself off at random occasions. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it and would happen in situations ranging from gaming to simple file transfers or nothing at all, but oddly it never did it during stress testing. I can't duplicate the shutdowns and the only errors I've encountered were during Memtest runs. I didn't get anything with Orthos or 3DMark.

I am having the same problems with my memory sticks as well, I'm very dissappointed...

Same here.

I thought I had some weird stablity issue because the PC would reset after about 13 hours of Orthos.

I upped the voltage to 2.25v and it's stable since. 30 hours of Orthos with over 2000% memtest coverage.

I need some G.Skill HZ. Stupid me...

Yes, when I've run memtest, legacy support has been disabled.

The only stability issue I had was that the computer would shut itself off at random occasions. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it and would happen in situations ranging from gaming to simple file transfers or nothing at all, but oddly it never did it during stress testing. I can't duplicate the shutdowns and the only errors I've encountered were during Memtest runs. I didn't get anything with Orthos or 3DMark.

What specifically did it do when it "shut itself off"? Did it go from Windows to no power immediately, crash to desktop, BSOD, or what? I would guess power issue but you have plenty of power assuming it is not a bad PSU.

What specifically did it do when it "shut itself off"? Did it go from Windows to no power immediately, crash to desktop, BSOD, or what? I would guess power issue but you have plenty of power assuming it is not a bad PSU.
It simply shut off. No bsod, no power down, nothing. It was the same effect I would get if I pulled the plug from the back of the PSU. Just to verify and make sure I wasn't dreaming, I just ran memtest again at stock settings and I got two errors on test 3 on the first pass. I'm off to dinner with some friend and I'm going to try Orthos' blend test to see what it comes up with.

I just put together a new C2D system with Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 modules. I plugged inthe specified settings for the RAM (4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v) in the bios and it booted up. However, I overclocked the computer - keeping the RAM at the stock 400MHz - pushing my e6400 to 3.2GHz. It did fine and went through 24 hours of Orthos small FFTs no problem. Then I ran memtest86+ and got a number of errors on assorted test (mostly 2, 3, and 6).

Join the club. I RMA'ed my 6400C4 back to newegg for a full refund when they got memtest-86 errors at stock speeds & voltage with a known good mottherboard. Finally I have some decent memory arriving tomorrow -- and no, it is not a Corsair memory product.

And though they may tell you that the failure rate is 1% or similar crock there are a lot more than that of us just on this small little message board that have run into one or more sets of bad 6400C4 sticks. A lot more than 1%. Beware the man that is trying to sell you something.

Mine also simply shut off. Like I said, feeding it another 7% of voltage seemed to cure it up.

Should I RMA these? What's the warranty on them? BTW: Haters: don't say I voided the warranty by feeding it too much voltage. I HAD to.

Mine also simply shut off. Like I said, feeding it another 7% of voltage seemed to cure it up.

Should I RMA these? What's the warranty on them? BTW: Haters: don't say I voided the warranty by feeding it too much voltage. I HAD to.

Lifetime warranty at 2.1V, motherboards +/-5%, so you can't be exactly accurate. The 6400C4D should be warrantied up a little higher, especially since some boards run low. (ie - you set 2.2V in the BIOS and the actual rating is 2.13V or something)

If you want an RMA we'll gladly do it for you.

We guarantee it will perform to spec, we'll replace them if they don't.

Lifetime warranty at 2.1V, motherboards +/-5%, so you can't be exactly accurate. The 6400C4D should be warrantied up a little higher, especially since some boards run low. (ie - you set 2.2V in the BIOS and the actual rating is 2.13V or something)

If you want an RMA we'll gladly do it for you.

We guarantee it will perform to spec, we'll replace them if they don't.
Yeah, like I said on the first post, I'm in talks with tsx right now. I just didn't know if you guys had any tricks I'd overlooked considering you know more about your own products than I do. I bumped the voltage up a bit like kent suggested to see if that fixed the issue, but I still got memtest errors so I'm not sure what's going on. A friend and I built at the same time with the same parts and his set are fine so I think I may have just gotten a bum kit. :(

I'm going to be ordering my new rig soon... from these posts I'm thinking about getting G.Skill instead of Corsair.

I'm going to be ordering my new rig soon... from these posts I'm thinking about getting G.Skill instead of Corsair.

Dont fret, I have the same memory 6400C4 running in my 680i system.
It runs at 4-4-4-12 2T 400Mhz stock voltage (1.89v) and has been as steady as a rock.
I have an e6700 clocked to 3.4 Ghz.
I have Corsair in all my rigs and have never had a problem.:D

Back