Corsair 650W: be enough for this i7 920 built?

Goat_187

Limp Gawd
I was running some PSU calculators and its telling me I need a PSU in the middle 800s :eek:

CASE: Antec P182
CPU: i7 920
HEATSINK: Prolimatech Megahalems (x2 Scythe Slip Stream)
MB: EVGA 132-BL-E758-TR
RAM: OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600 (7-7-7-24)
PSU: Corsair 650W
DRIVE: LG Black LG Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB
VC: EVGA 9600GT Overclocked (from old build)

I plan to OC at least 1ghz and maybe upgrade my vid card when I get the gaming bug.
Will 650W be enough?

Its actually not a problem if it wont since my PSU from my past build just died (550W) and I can just used this new Corsair 650W inside my old built (will be a server now) and just buy a PSU with more watts for this new built.

Thanks.

It will be just fine for that build. It will even allow for a future video card upgrade. However, if you plan on running 2 cards in SLI or CF, then you'll need more watts.

It will work 100% perfectly. Take no notice of online calculators, load of bollocks (probably sponsored by PSU manufacturers!)

I'd say is enough as long as you don't OC the cpu over 3.8 Ghz, My corsair TX750 ran like ass when over 3.6ghz and needed lots of voltage. With a better unit i am able to run higher clocks at lower voltages. However a mild oc will be just fine such as 3.6 which is the magic number of efficiency and performance with a mild OC of the video card. Well i had bunch of other stuff such as raid card with bunch of sas and sata drives. Your machine looks pretty lean so you are in the safe zone.

I'd say is enough as long as you don't OC the cpu over 3.8 Ghz, My corsair TX750 ran like ass when over 3.6ghz and needed lots of voltage. With a better unit i am able to run higher clocks at lower voltages. However a mild oc will be just fine such as 3.6 which is the magic number of efficiency and performance with a mild OC of the video card. Well i had bunch of other stuff such as raid card with bunch of sas and sata drives. Your machine looks pretty lean so you are in the safe zone.

Corsair TX750 and TX650 are two completely different PSUs. Your OC experience really isn't any indication of what his might be.

My corsair TX750 ran like ass when over 3.6ghz and needed lots of voltage. With a better unit i am able to run higher clocks at lower voltages. However a mild oc will be just fine such as 3.6 which is the magic number of efficiency and performance with a mild OC of the video card. Well i had bunch of other stuff such as raid card with bunch of sas and sata drives. Your machine looks pretty lean so you are in the safe zone.

That's quite strange. 750W should be more than enough for an overclocked i7 with a high-end GPU and several drives.

Back