Corsair Announces Availability of High-Capacity Force Series GT SSDs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Corsair®, a worldwide designer and supplier of high-performance components to the PC gaming hardware market, today announced worldwide retail availability of 180GB and 240GB Force Series™ GT SSDs. The new high-capacity 180GB and 240GB models join the 60GB and 120GB Force Series GT models already on the market.

Force Series GT is designed for enthusiasts who demand the fastest performance available. It uses the SandForce SF-2280 SSD Processor, with native support for SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3), combined with ONFI synchronous flash memory. Force Series GT SSD upgrades deliver outstanding read/write performance and significantly faster system response, boot times, and application load times than SATA 2 solid-state drives, with out-of-box performance of up to 85K Random Write IOPS, read speeds of up to 555 MB/s, and write speeds of up to 525 MB/s. The use of synchronous flash memory makes the Force GT Series particularly adept at reading and writing non-compressible data, such as video and music files.

I'm not saying choice is not great but it's kind of sad at what passes for "high capacity" in the SSD arena. Then again, the price for anything higher is usually a deterrent for most. I hope they make some more progress on both.

they have to be suckin their customers dry while they can get away with it. Those ssd drives have to be much cheaper to build than a regular hd with all those moving parts. I will stick to my 4tb(1tbx4) raid 0 for now. It is fast enough (faster than some ssd) and enough room for everything. Yeah I know those 4 drives cost the same money as a ssd but I dont have to worry about filling it up all the time and everything is faster not just what is on the ssd.

they have to be suckin their customers dry while they can get away with it. Those ssd drives have to be much cheaper to build than a regular hd with all those moving parts.

I don't think they are raking money in quite as you describe. Check out this recent article on SSDs - most of the first page is dedicated to talking about the costs involved:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4604/...rsair-patriot-ocz-owc-memoright-ssds-compared

It is still a new technology, compared to hard drives which have been around for decades. I'd love to see prices drop, and they have been coming down steadily, but it will be a while yet before large SSDs are affordable.

180 GB sounds like an odd number, but that's actually the perfect compromise for an OS drive.
120 GB is just too small to include all apps and user profile data, and 240 GB would be overkill.
I might start making OS image backups with such a small drive. Yeah, definitely not "high capacity" for me.
I just wish there were more competition in the NAND die market to drive production upward and prices downward.

Do these drives suffer from the instability reported on the SandForce controller? I could find nothing about the controller on the product website.

180 GB sounds like an odd number, but that's actually the perfect compromise for an OS drive.
120 GB is just too small to include all apps and user profile data, and 240 GB would be overkill.
I might start making OS image backups with such a small drive. Yeah, definitely not "high capacity" for me.
I just wish there were more competition in the NAND die market to drive production upward and prices downward.

I'm using a 120GB for an OS drive, fit's everything just fine with 32 gig to spare. Games go on the WD Blacks.

Back