Corsair Announces First Shipments of Hydro Series H60

HardOCP News

[H] News
Corsair®, a worldwide designer and supplier of high-performance components to the PC gaming hardware market, today announced shipments of the new Hydro Series™ H60 High-Performance Liquid CPU Cooler. The Hydro Series H60 brings remarkable new technologies to the CPU cooling market at an affordable price point. New features include:

* A low-profile, light-weight cooling unit that reduces clutter around the CPU
* A redesigned microchannel cold plate with a new fin design that dramatically increases the surface area of copper available for heat absorption
* A new split-flow manifold that delivers coolant directly to the center of the cold plate — the warmest area of the CPU — significantly improving cooling efficiency
* A custom-designed 120mm fan with very high static pressure, which allows for more cold air to be drawn through the radiator to vent heat from the cooling liquid
* Compatibility with the recently announced Corsair Link™ system for monitoring and control

So is this supposed to be better than the H50, but not as good as the H70. :confused:

Wow be nice if they made it bigger than i could of used it for my proc and switched my custom for my video cards setup :(

Does this offer better performance than the Corsair H50? Or is it on par, but with a sleeker design?

Yeah, Corsair doesn't do a very good job of explaining the differences between the models.

It looks like an update to the h50.

The new H60 has a 27mm radiator, which is about the same (it looks similar) to the radiator on the h50. The cold plate has a new design and so does the fan (being higher CFM and 30dB), the pump is lower profile, and it has the rotating nozzles like the h70 (so easier to install?)

I'm guessing they made it inferior to the H50, so that there can be actual differentiation between the performance of the H70 and whatever comes below it.

I believe the H60 is based on CoolIT's closed loop designs, not Asetek's.

Not sure why Corsair went this way, as it seems the CoolIT stuff is considerably less reliable.

I believe the H60 is based on CoolIT's closed loop designs, not Asetek's.

Not sure why Corsair went this way, as it seems the CoolIT stuff is considerably less reliable.

The H60 is CoolIT based and it's not any less reliable - we use the same tubing and barbs as we use on the H50, so the problems CoolIT had with the Domino originally have been long fixed.

The performance of H60 is a bit better than H50 due to the new split flow manifold and micro-channel coldplate design, as well as the new, custom high static-pressure fan.

Redbeard's post ^^^ got me thinking, could using Silverstone AP 120mm fans do the trick for Corsair's H line?

The performance of H60 is a bit better than H50 due to the new split flow manifold and micro-channel coldplate design, as well as the new, custom high static-pressure fan.

Can you confirm on the thickness of the radiator compared to the H50? I'm looking to use it in a SFF system and was going to go with the H50 with a slim fan (wouldn't fit with stock). I'd like to go with more performance, but it can only be about a mm bigger.

Redbeard's post ^^^ got me thinking, could using Silverstone AP 120mm fans do the trick for Corsair's H line?

The Air Penetrator fans direct airflow more centrally, but that doesn't necessarily equate to high static pressure.

The H60 is CoolIT based and it's not any less reliable - we use the same tubing and barbs as we use on the H50, so the problems CoolIT had with the Domino originally have been long fixed.

As a fairly happy owner of the h50, is there any reason for me to get this h60? The phrasing of it being a "bit" better isn't selling me enough. 5 degrees better on a stock/not overclocked i7? Although, I do like the smaller profile....

Can you confirm on the thickness of the radiator compared to the H50? I'm looking to use it in a SFF system and was going to go with the H50 with a slim fan (wouldn't fit with stock). I'd like to go with more performance, but it can only be about a mm bigger.

the radiator measurements are listed under the tech specs

Radiator Dimensions:120mm x 152mm x 27mm

Wow be nice if they made it bigger than i could of used it for my proc and switched my custom for my video cards setup :(

So you mean if it was more like the H70 you would mount it to your I7 and move the H50 you currently have to your vid card? Can you clarify?

hates off to corsair, now that's the design i like better than old once, none the less old design (on H50) is rather simple once you get it working, this one will be more work if you want to change CPU

The Air Penetrator fans direct airflow more centrally, but that doesn't necessarily equate to high static pressure.

Can you recommend fans available at retail that will improve the H50 at load? For both single and dual fan setups.

Only thing I wish the H50 came with was slightly longer lines so that the radiator could be mounted below my ATX board at the bottom intake fan behind the bottom-mounted PSU, with an optional pull fan on top of the radiator. Since they don't, I may try mounting it in the forward top exhaust fan position instead.

Ahh..so according to the link, you can see plain as day what the differences are.

My H70's are great. However, they are quite a chore to install. Not that its rocket science, but I had to install, and back out, and install, until I had a good understanding the mounting process.

The Radiator isnt...heavy...per se...but its not light either. In addition, the Rampage Extreme III's have CPU power plugs between the IO interface and the CPU socket - which this monster covers. SO...lesson learned - install the PSU first and connect CPU power cables, THEN install the radiator/fan combination.

The only way I'd see the H60 being "better" is the smaller profile, even if you add a 2nd fan for Push/Pull

Why buy the H50, H60, or H70? In every review they're only on par with the aftermarket coolers? I'm a fan of WC builds, but in function (cooling, noise, etc), I've never seen the objective advantage of the series. Just buy a Thor's Hammer or TR 120 Ultra & be done with it.

Am I missing something? :confused:

Why buy the H50, H60, or H70? In every review they're only on par with the aftermarket coolers? I'm a fan of WC builds, but in function (cooling, noise, etc), I've never seen the objective advantage of the series. Just buy a Thor's Hammer or TR 120 Ultra & be done with it.

Well for me, building a SFF system I have to cool something in about 3 inches of space with crappy airflow, so going for one of these giant towers of aluminium isn't exactly doable. But using one of these I can transport the cooler from the low profile pump on the CPU socket to the top of the case where there is more room. One advantage is the transportation of heat. I'm my example, the transportation of the heat from the heart of the case to the edges will also hopefully mean lower case tempretures around the socket/center too, and will also mean that airflow over the CPU socket wont have to be so great a concern (and I suppose airflow in general), just needing a little airflow for the ram/chipset heatsinks, rather than vast volumes of air to a hard to reach spot (meaning less fans = less noise even though the coolers are identical, which is also something that these benchmarks usually fail to accomodate. Added to the fact some HSF benchmarks i've seen have been done in an open space, where the radiator on the edge of the case wouldn't have an advantage over the centrally mounted HSF as they all have a direct abundant supply of cool air rather than real life senarios).

Plus it looks a load better than a giant monolith of aluminium :p

Sure is a LOT easier to work inside the case . . . right now I have nothing of the cooler covering the motherboard except the pump on top of the CPU and the hoses to the radiator.

It runs a few degrees cooler than a cheaper air cooler, and is quieter than the last air cooler I had because the single instead of dual fan almost never runs at max. As I type the cpu fan is running 1095 and the case fan is at 709 with cpu and motherboard temps just over ambient temp (case has 5 120s which are always moving air over hard disks and venting case).

Price was comparable to a top rated cooler (save for the 212 which has been only 1/2 to 1/3 of the price lately). The water cooler also seems to bring cpu temps much faster than the air cooler when voltage drops, though I've never seen this tested.

The only way I'd see the H60 being "better" is the smaller profile, even if you add a 2nd fan for Push/Pull

^^ this

I would really appreciate if [H] is going to review the h60 that in their apples to apples comparison they include the h50,h60,and h70 all in push/pull : ) im quite sick of other sites reviewing h70 and talking about how h70>h50 yet they are testing h50 with one fan and h70 in push/pull...all reviews of h60 I have read are doing the same. I actually think the h60 with better waterblock design may outperform h70 with push/pull...what do you guys think? ; )

The h70 does have a significantly thicker radiator, i'm not too sure about comparitive fin density but if they are significantly different the results will be off too (higher density is more resistant so needs a higher static pressure fan(s) etc). As the radiator is the cooling element of a WC loop, this is where the major difference will lie.

I would only disagree slightly in that while yes the radiator is obviously where the cooling happens nearly every component contributes to better temps. im no WC expert but better water block means its pickin up more heat...means good. if the water blink can't pick up heat effectively what good is the radiator. also the faster the water is moving the better it will cool im certain with diminishing returns. the pump and hose play into this but as you said as well radiator density. I would really like to see the h60 buttheads with the h70 as I found in my own research that adding push/pull nearly halfed the gap between the h50 and h70. with the h60 biting the h70's heels with one fan, I wanna see two! : D lower profile is always a plus too...no bulky radiator

^^ this

I would really appreciate if [H] is going to review the h60 that in their apples to apples comparison they include the h50,h60,and h70 all in push/pull : ) im quite sick of other sites reviewing h70 and talking about how h70>h50 yet they are testing h50 with one fan and h70 in push/pull...all reviews of h60 I have read are doing the same. I actually think the h60 with better waterblock design may outperform h70 with push/pull...what do you guys think? ; )

I'd guess the H70 could still hold lower temps on the same OC load (say 5.0G) even if both have the same fans just because of more cooling surface. I was a bit disappointed that the website didn't have cooling information as is on there for the H50. Would love to see them in a test both as they are shipped, then equalized with respect to fans, and then finally as optimized by somebody who can demonstrate what fan improvement can or cannot do for them. Would also like to see average temps vs. air cooled over the course of varied usage . . to demonstrate whether faster cooling recovery has a significant effect or not . . intuitively, lower average temps is important to overall cpu life.

What price range is this going to be in? I'm curious. I think the H70 is over priced, but I need the low profile block/pump...

Is the H60 going to have software fan control? CoolIT promised that the Vantage would have a wireless fan control software called Maestro that NEVER materialized. Now that they have partnered with Corsair I wonder if they are finally going to use that software. Oh well at least my Vantage has a great LCD display on it. :)

I would only disagree slightly in that while yes the radiator is obviously where the cooling happens nearly every component contributes to better temps. im no WC expert but better water block means its pickin up more heat...means good. if the water blink can't pick up heat effectively what good is the radiator. also the faster the water is moving the better it will cool im certain with diminishing returns. the pump and hose play into this but as you said as well radiator density. I would really like to see the h60 buttheads with the h70 as I found in my own research that adding push/pull nearly halfed the gap between the h50 and h70. with the h60 biting the h70's heels with one fan, I wanna see two! : D lower profile is always a plus too...no bulky radiator

Tempretures in loops tend to equalize, so the pump speed (and loop order) don't matter so much.

This is hard to explain for some reason, but, think about it, theres a flow of jellybeans going past on a conveyor belt. It can sell 1 jellybean every second. It doesn't matter about the speed of jellybeans flowing past, it's still going to only be selling one per second as thats the amount it can sell to the air that eats the beans. Like radiators have a heat disspation rate, the heat its not selling will just go into sotck and go round for another go, (and raise the average energy of the water in the loop tempreture is the average evergy of the particles). So pushing the energy (jellybeans) past, means it just gets to go round a few more times before you can sell them, but letting it stick around will mean more will get eaten that pass, so speed it largely irrelevent.

Im distracted now and want jellybeans...

Jelly Belly Buttered Popcorn FTW!

That one makes me gag. Tastes right, but the texture... makes me feel like I'm eating a grubby nasty soggy chewy piece of popcorn from the floor of a low rate theater... But other than that, yay FTW! :D

As a fairly happy owner of the h50, is there any reason for me to get this h60? The phrasing of it being a "bit" better isn't selling me enough. 5 degrees better on a stock/not overclocked i7? Although, I do like the smaller profile....

If you already have an H50, spending another $70-$80 on an H60 isn't going to really hit you in the sweet price/performance spot.

If you don't have one yet and are thinking about buying either H50 or H60, buy the H60.

Back