Corsair Announces New 256GB High-Performance

HardOCP News

[H] News
Corsair® a worldwide leader in high-performance computer and flash memory products, today announced the launch of the Corsair Storage Solutions P256 high-performance 256GB solid-state drive (SSD). The Corsair Storage Solutions P256 has been designed using cutting-edge technology to deliver the highest performance and compatibility, in a capacity that is big enough to replace conventional storage solutions in a high-performance PC. The P256 uses specially selected Samsung MLC flash memory and a sophisticated Samsung Controller IC, coupled with 128MB of super-fast cache memory and Native Command Queuing (NCQ) support for blistering, stutter-free performance, delivering read speeds of up to 220MB/sec and write speeds of up to 200MB/sec.

Hmmm..

2.5" 256GB SSD

I can fit 48 in a stacker case, that's 12TB of SSD storage in a single tower.

What is the point of these so called "large" SSD's? 128Gb is the sweet spot on these until they figure out hot to make 2TB drives that cost little more than a conventional HDD.

What we REALLY need, is affordable 120Gb SSD's.

It's nice to see that SSD prices have actually GONE UP over the last 6 weeks, rather than down!

List price of $330 for this one.

WOW! Is this true???

So that makes it cheaper than OCZ's 120Gb SSD? That is selling for a "tiny" £400+ in the UK!!!

If this price is true, and it's performance matches the OCZ Vertex, then well, I will eat my previous post!

WOW! Is this true???

So that makes it cheaper than OCZ's 120Gb SSD? That is selling for a "tiny" £400+ in the UK!!!

If this price is true, and it's performance matches the OCZ Vertex, then well, I will eat my previous post!

Oh well, no eating of posts today!!!

This thing is over $650, oh well, move along, nothing affordable to see here...

Ignore my previous post, I need to go back to Kindergarden to learn how to read. Its actually around $700.

my last post... Just found this "review" over on newegg...

My Lenovo is now a Porshe, thanx to my P256!
Reviewed By: 2L82XlR8 on 5/11/2009 Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 day to 1 week
This user purchased this item from Newegg
Pros: My old HDD on My Lenovo T400 took ages to start, now my Notebook blazes to my start screen in no time. Improved Program speeds and reliability. I surf the web at the speeds I expect, now that my SSD precesses the Data faster. Quick and easy install, no hiccups at all. Windows Vista 64Bit OS, 4GB DDR3 8500 Ram...Windows experience upgraded my Hard disk scores to maximum 5.9...My Battery also got a 45 minute boost in ower savings!

Defrag, virus scans no longer take over an hour...

My Porshe, I mean, my Notebook, has awakened!!!
Cons: At this point, the only issue I had was keeping my blood pressure down from the excitement of seeing my T400 go from chump to champ!
Other Thoughts: HD Tach measured an impressive 230MB read, 185MB write speeds (256kb - 8MB settings)...Im thinking about making a server with 20 of these Drives in Raid 5. Im expecting to see a crazy fast server!!!

Do you think this guy works for Corsair or Newegg??? Gotta be one or the other! jeez!

Ouch. So much for looking at SSDs for a potential new build in the fall. Seems like they haven't hit affordable territory yet.

Nice release, much cheaper than I would have thought. Anticipated to see some good reviews.

WTB: SSD drives that don't rape my wallet. Get to it SSD companies!

FYI the 128GB drive is NOT the same controller. S128 is the older, much much slower samsung controller and the P256 uses the newer faster controller. I have one of these in my laptop..great drive. No trim support but corsair (rebadged samsung really) may add it in the future, when win7 comes out. hoping apple adds trim support to snow leopard as well, but i doubt they will..

The SSD companies (and retail outlets) need to start listing the random read and write speeds. That's what really matters.

And for those asking what 256gigs is for... it's for your OS drive. You don't need a terabyte drive for your OS and applications... no one has that much space just for applications. But 120 gigs might not be enough if you install a lot of games or want to have space for editing video or a lot of photos.

So... please, bring on more SSDs and let's see those prices drop down to something reasonable. When I can get a 256 gig SSD (with high random read/write speeds) for $250, I'm totally putting one in every computer I own.

Do you think this guy works for Corsair or Newegg??? Gotta be one or the other! jeez!

Most of our employees can spell "Porsche".

I hope.

For those of you guys who want a way to differentiate:

Pxxx drives are Performance (the fast controller)
Sxxx drives are Standard (the much less expensive slightly slower controller)

Can't wait to see how they compare with Intel's SSDs. I want an SSD in my next build so badly but I can't justify going with something 128GB or smaller.

Back