Corsair Gaming Series

JustinSane

2[H]4U
Anyone have any experience with the GS power supplies? In need of a power supply today and Best Buy has these. Been having boot problems with a pc and I'm pretty positive it's power related. Read some bad things about the Gaming Series and I just wanted to see if anyone here has any experience with them.

check and see if your BB has this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Thermal...id=1218649716510&skuId=5438543&st=thermaltake 850w&cp=1&lp=5

i have it running an i7 980x @ 4.0ghz, 2 6850's and other stuff, plus it's modular and has decent reviews (better than the gs series). it was on sale over the holiday for $98, but it went back up to $140. i recommend it as it's kept my system up while using F@H 100% cpu and 100% gt 430 usage for the past 2 weeks.

Eh, both the GS and the TT Smart series are the same PUQ B design from CWT. I'm running a GS600 damn near max with my GTX480 and OC'ed C2Q.

Eh, both the GS and the TT Smart series are the same PUQ B design from CWT. I'm running a GS600 damn near max with my GTX480 and OC'ed C2Q.

Yes, currently shipping versions of the GS series PSUs are CWT PUQ-B based. However, some Best Buy stores still have leftover stock of the older PSH-II based GX series PSUs still in their inventory, so you have to be careful.

Yes, currently shipping versions of the GS series PSUs are CWT PUQ-B based. However, some Best Buy stores still have leftover stock of the older PSH-II based GX series PSUs still in their inventory, so you have to be careful.

How can you tell the difference?

I have 2 GS800 units, one first generation and one second. You can see what they are powering in my sig. The second gen (latest) unit while is supposed to be better is quite a bit louder when the fan starts spinning. The fan only spins when needed, but is very loud when spinning up. Other than that, great PSU for the price/availability.

The visual difference of the box:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have not looked into these in person, but Best Buy is one of the worst places to purchase a PSU to begin with: For the most part, their selection consists of overpriced, underperformance units, and their sales turnover is very low. Hence, most of what you see at Best Buy with regards to the GS series is the original version of the GS series, based on a now-EOL PSH-II platform.

I have not looked into these in person, but Best Buy is one of the worst places to purchase a PSU to begin with: For the most part, their selection consists of overpriced, underperformance units (for example, they sell a PSU that barely handles even 250W without exploding into flames for nearly as much money as a good 400-500W PSU that can handle their full rated wattage normally sells for), and their sales turnover is very low. Hence, most of what you see at Best Buy with regards to the GS series is the original version of the GS series, based on a now-EOL PSH-II platform.

^^^Um...I am not sure what all that means but I bought a first gen GS800 a few years ago when my OZC went out. I needed a PSU in a pinch and ever since installing it, I have never had any issues. Its been good to me so far.

Even the first gen is a solid PSU. The platform might be a bit old, but it's by no means a slouch. I'd also take Corsair support over most brands.

If you need a PSU in a pinch and wanna grab it from best buy, the GS line is solid throughout. It's certainly not top of the line, and it's overpriced at best buy, but it works, and frankly, it works well.

Back