Corsair Hx1050 vs ax850 acoustics and other things.

avddreamr

Gawd
Since I haven't' been able to find reliable acoustic data from the same source under the same conditions for both of these psus, and they have a similar price.. I was wondering what anyone thought of comparing these two units.

I currently have an hx850 that's going to be switched out for one of these two units in the next few days. I have already placed the order for the ax850, but I am not sure if I made the right choice. I imagine that I could place a call and change my order tomorrow, if i hurry.

My current load on the wall is about 450w ([email protected]+5870+lots of hdds fans and watercooling). So, we are looking at around 400w load on the powersupply.

However, I expect to go sli or crossfireX this year when I switch to surround gaming.

Currently... an 850w can power a gtx 480sli rig and a sandy bridge overclocked to where I'm at. I'm assuming that new gear should fit under the same power envelope.

btw my definition of quiet ... is well ap-15's running at or under 1000 rpm.

So my question is as follows would I be better off with getting the hx1050w? Even if more than likely my next upgrade will be under 700w.

I am concerned with acoustics, power quality, and reliability. I have to do the psu switch...now. I just want to know I made the right choice.

To those that have the ax850, does the psu at around 450-500w...do you hear strange noises coming from the fan. San Aces are wonderful... But they don't do that great when undervolted.

I know that if I switch to the 1050 it has lower power quality, but is the power quality as good or close to the ax 850 at around 850w... and then degrades thereafter.

It's hard to say... and I'm simply not sure... so any advice... would be great.

Last edited:
Simply put, the X850 beside being semifanless is also more efficient(at any load) than the HX1050.. as so, at any load the HX1050 puts out more heat which translates in to a higher revving fan.. there's your short answer, for the long one you would need to compare both fans and controllers..
The only PSU available in NA at the moment which has a fan but it pretty much never starts spinning till you hit ~550W draw(around 600W at the wall) is the Kingwin Platinum 550W, but that would limit your options as far as SLI/CFX is concerned, even though that PSU will deliver in excess of 650W while keeping Gold efficiency levels:)

Profumo... you're right, it's so obvious. I made the right choice for my application.

Thank you.

My AX850 is basically inaudible, I would fully recommend it. The odd occasion that the fan does run, it is still very quiet. I don't have the most demanding load situation going on, but it is quieter than the stock 775 cooler anyway. I also think you made the right choice :)

Back