Corsair HX620, buzz not squeal

Hey guys, I just got a HX620, and I'm getting a buzzing/whining on startup. If I tap / hit it, it goes away (if also goes away if I ignore it for couple of minutes). If this's just a minor thing I'll keep it, and it's a great PSU otherwise. But if it's going to get worse I need to return it.

Ideas?

They all do it, search buzz on the corsair forums or here.

I did a search here, that's how I found this thread. That said, if you're saying that it's not going to get worse, then it's good news, and I'll keep it.

I was going to get this PSU for my new i7 build but now reading this I am not so sure. Are all of them like this or just a select few?

If so, are there any other brands I should look at? I wanted this one mainly because of the modular design and relatively low price.

I guess I can bump up my budget a notch or two if it means a more reliable PSU.

Well, some people I ran into said that their HX620 squealed when they stuck a HD4870 in their rig, I just put a HD4870 in mine and there's no squeal from my 620.. There's sort of an electrical sound which is audible if I stick my ear to the PSU, but I'm not going to be sitting with my ear to it while I use my rig so when I'm in front of the computer I hear nothing. I guess it's because a lot of people have bought Corsairs in the past, so you're more bound to run into people that have trouble. I mean, I've run into people with OCZ, PCP&C and Enermax units that also have squealed. So I dunno, every brand is prone to it from time to time.

My HX620W doesn't squeal, but my HD4870 does, when benchmarking or stress testing that results in excessively high FPS results. No big deal. Everything running off of the PSU is perfectly stable, which is all that matters to me...

my cooler master real power pro 750 makes a buzzing noise when its on. at idle its very low, and under high loads the buzz gets louder. i RMA'd it, and the new one did the exact same thing, so i just took the new one and its been fine for 4 months.

my 620HX squeals, just got it from ZZF. i'm using an HD4870X2 and it's the only card I have so I can't really test it. Mine squeals even when idle. While the noise doesn't bother me a ton I'd rather not have a squeal so I'm still deciding what to do with it.

my 620HX squeals, just got it from ZZF. i'm using an HD4870X2 and it's the only card I have so I can't really test it. Mine squeals even when idle. While the noise doesn't bother me a ton I'd rather not have a squeal so I'm still deciding what to do with it.

RMA it back to us, we'll replace it. Only a small percentage of units have an audible squeal.

I did a search here, that's how I found this thread. That said, if you're saying that it's not going to get worse, then it's good news, and I'll keep it.
Oops for some reason I thought this was a new thread. When I clicked on the thread, I was taken directly to page 3.

I started hearing loud buzzing noises with my new Corsair HX1000w soon after I bought it. For some reason whenever the lights in one room downstairs in my house were on it would buzz so I just leave them off and it hasn't made any noises since they have been kept off. And I know that it is the only those lights that cause it because as soon as they are turned on, it starts to buzz again.

I have an older 620 that has been silent so far. maybe a batch issue with the newer stuff who knows. Mines powering a q6600, a 4870 and an 8800gtx for a second monitor so its not like it has an easy life lol.

I had an original HX620w as well. I payed about $200 for it when they first came out. It's been under call kinds of GPU's 8800's, 9800's. 4800's. It's also been under different CPU's E8400, Q9450 and a E4400. Everything was overclocked and I never had the buzzing issue.

I sold it to a friend of mine and he's running it with a Q6600, Gigabyte P45, and a 4870 512mb and I've seen it in person and never experienced any buzzing out of the unit at all.

It could be something with the newer units, a newer revision like after they started shipping with 8pin PCI-Express.

I've had this same problem for 2 days now. Just built a computer and bought the Tagan BZ 800w unit and its running the eVGA GTX 285 OCC and it makes the strange buzzing/hiss sound. The sound changes when the camera is moved in a game for instance. I've also found that its directly linked to vSync. If you turn ON vSync the sound goes away. So far tried Fallout 3, Crysis and Crysis Warhead, Warhammer Online and Oblivion. In some cases you have to force the vSync in the geforce control panel.

Check out this video:

Tagan BZ800w Buzzing, YouTube

VSync doesn't affect my squealing as far as I can tell. It's interesting that your non-Corsair PSU squeals. Makes it seem like it's my video card. Some people have claimed that using a different PSU makes the buzzing go away.

Still at a loss. I've been living with it.

Actually, your setup is shockingly close to mine. Expect the PSU.

I've contacted my computer store and he hadn't heard of the issue. So I pressed he should try and plug a new Tagan BZ into a decent system, with a recent graphics card, 8800gt or newer and run 3DMark. He agreed. He just called me back and told me his Tagan BZ1000w unit makes the same buzzing sound with 2x GTX260 216 SLi, Q9650. He is looking further into it as we speak. He is also going to try an OCz PSU too. He also agreed to replace my PSU, I'll pick it up after work, in an hour or so.

I'll keep you posted.

I had an original HX620w as well. I payed about $200 for it when they first came out. It's been under call kinds of GPU's 8800's, 9800's. 4800's. It's also been under different CPU's E8400, Q9450 and a E4400. Everything was overclocked and I never had the buzzing issue.

I sold it to a friend of mine and he's running it with a Q6600, Gigabyte P45, and a 4870 512mb and I've seen it in person and never experienced any buzzing out of the unit at all.

It could be something with the newer units, a newer revision like after they started shipping with 8pin PCI-Express.
Corsair sent me a 520 & 620 when they first came out & no squealing ever & have used the HX620 on everything, at all power levels.

The Corsair HX620W is a GREAT PSU, rated at 50C & can take on just about anything!.

Good Luck running down the noise.
Dave

That's nice of him, but I'm pretty sure the video card is the actual culprit. I don't think the squealing is harmful. Just irritating.

Some video cards are fine, while others, like mine, have something slightly off. Coil resonance or something. Maybe my GTX 260 has a voltage regulation oddity, or maybe my power supply has coils not wrapped tightly enough. Hard to pinpoint which component is the culprit, but with different makes of power supplies still buzzing with the video card being the constant, it leads me to blame the video card.

I would've RMA'd my PSU if it didn't cost so much to ship. Plus computer downtime. And I figured I'd get another PSU that would squeal anyway.

That's nice of him, but I'm pretty sure the video card is the actual culprit. I don't think the squealing is harmful. Just irritating.

Some video cards are fine, while others, like mine, have something slightly off. Coil resonance or something. Maybe my GTX 260 has a voltage regulation oddity, or maybe my power supply has coils not wrapped tightly enough. Hard to pinpoint which component is the culprit, but with different makes of power supplies still buzzing with the video card being the constant, it leads me to blame the video card.

I would've RMA'd my PSU if it didn't cost so much to ship. Plus computer downtime. And I figured I'd get another PSU that would squeal anyway.

Aye, thats as much as the guy figured. I told him about your problems, and a few others I found on the interwebs. We'll see what the new PSU will do.

So I got the new PSU. Guess what... It didn't change anything. This new Tagan BZ 900w unit is exactly the same, sorry to say. So I'm leaning on the vidcard is the criminal here. I'll do some tests.

This issue has been confirmed to be an issue with the VRMs on the GPU creating feedback on the rail, causing among other things coil whine in certain PSUs.

This issue has been confirmed to be an issue with the VRMs on the GPU creating feedback on the rail, causing among other things coil whine in certain PSUs.
I would have to say "causing among other things coil whine in MOST PSUs."

I'm gonna contact Corsair for a RMA. I got the squeal in the same system with a 4870 and my current GTX260. Do they have an option to ship first? I really don't want to go without my workstation for like 2-? weeks. I dont have any PSUs kicking around that are good enough for that system.

I'm gonna contact Corsair for a RMA. I got the squeal in the same system with a 4870 and my current GTX260. Do they have an option to ship first? I really don't want to go without my workstation for like 2-? weeks. I dont have any PSUs kicking around that are good enough for that system.

If you have any problems obtaining an advance replacement RMA, PM me here and I'll see what I can do.

I just spent $20 to have my brand new HX620 RMA'd. It was doing the same sqealing as others have mentioned. I have a GTX260, but I tried booting into safe mode and the squeal was still there (even more prevalent), so I don't think it is the video card causing it.

I don't get what the deal is here......this is NOT a cheap power supply so why are so many people having these problems. For those that claim it is the video card causing it, why doesn't everyone who has a GTX260 have this problem? I really hope my replacement PSU doesn't have the same problem or I don't know what I'll do.

I really hope my replacement doesn't have the same issue, my roommates 620 does the exact same thing. :( I don't mind spending whatever it costs to ship my unit to corsair from Canada once, but if i have to get a re-replacement I'll be pissed. Haven't dealt with their tech support yet but I hear good things.

If the issue is with GPU's VRMs introducing feedback onto the rails, I wonder why no one has apparently contacted the GPU manufacturers yet, or tried to figure out what's the matter with these VRMs...

Well, I have a different PSU I can try at work to see if it squeals with the same set-up. If it does, my work also has another GTX260 I can try to see if it persists when changing to another card of the exact same type. I probably should have done these tests before I RMA'd my HX620, but oh well.

My gut tells me it is the PSU however.

My HX620 never had any noise running 2x 4850 in CF. My new HX1000 has no problems with my XFX 4870x2

I did some tests today and I believe I found the solution to my problem. I tried a Xigmatek 650W PSU we had laying around at work. I got the exact same squeal, reproducable in the exact same way I did with the HX620, but about 6dB down in volume. I had another GTX260, so I switched it out with mine and the noise was still there.

Finally, I tried the suggestion found here http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=75330 to disable C1E and EIST in the BIOS. It worked! No more buzzing/squealing at all. I tried all of the scenarios that had produced the squeal before and no more squeal. I guess I wasted $20 in RMAing my Corsair PSU, but hopefully this fix will work with my new one when I get it.

What are C1E and EIST, what do they do, and does disabling them have any other consequences?

I'll try it as soon as I get home. Using VSync doesn't help anything in any game.

This may be specific to the Core i7 processors, but not sure. Look for it under Advanced CPU Settings. As far as what C1E and EIST do........I have no idea.

After some quick Googling, it seems Core 2 Duo chips have C1E and EIST, and that the settings can be accessed on a P5Q Pro. I'll post once I get home and check.

This may be specific to the Core i7 processors, but not sure. Look for it under Advanced CPU Settings. As far as what C1E and EIST do........I have no idea.

Intel said:
Certain boxed Intel desktop processors have support for Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® technology. Consult the Processor Spec Finder to see which processors support Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology. First delivered in Intel mobile and server platforms, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology can provide average power savings depending on system usage and design.

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology allows the system to dynamically adjust processor voltage and core frequency, which can result in decreased average power consumption and decreased average heat production. By decreasing power and heat on Desktop PCs, system builders can (depending on system configurations) potentially lower acoustics, and even develop more innovative small form factor designs. Additionally, this feature can help address power concerns in companies with sites approaching the limits of bounded electrical infrastructures. Combined with existing power saving features, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep technology can provide an excellent balance between providing power when you need it and conserving it when you don’t

C1E has a similar effect to lower power and voltages but I'm not exactly sure what it does.

Lol doubt that will fix the issue - I've had those settings off since I got my DFI board. Most overclockers turn it off anyway.

I have the same issue with my HX850 and GTX260 SC. I get the 'whine' when running ATI 3D tool and when it is not running I get a small 'buzzing' sound from my PSU whether it is powered on or not (meaning just getting juice from the wall). I just got a replacement PSU (Brand new from Corsair--You guys rock!!) but the issue still remains. I tend to agree with Elledan, that there is something about the VRMs on the GTX260 that cause this issue. If anyone can try using a different video card, perhaps one that does not need PCIe power connectors to see if that solves these issues, that would be ideal.

But your PSU hums with just wall power? Mine only makes noise during graphic load. Absolutely no noise otherwise.

Back