Corsair HX620 enough for Crossfire 6970?

pookguy88

Gawd
Just wondering if I need to upgrade if I want to go crossfire with the rig in my sig?

Wouldn't recommend it. You'll probably be right on the ragged edge. I'd go with at least a 1000w PSU for that setup.

Wouldn't recommend it. You'll probably be right on the ragged edge. I'd go with at least a 1000w PSU for that setup.

Definitely not 1000, don't listen to this guy.

I would go for a 750 watt power supply, especially if you plan on overclocking. If you're not overclocking at all, then 620 watts would be fine.

For 2 6970s, I would recommend a little more power, but 1000W is a bit ridiculous unless you are doing watercooling and overclocking with a lot of fans, and even then it might still be overkill. 700-750W is a good range and still give enough room for overclocking. As long as you have a good quality stable PSU (which the Corsair HX620 should be), you should be fine.

I paid $100 for my Antec... A 1kw PSU really isn't an unreasonable recommendation. Leaves room for de-rating over time and new components.

I paid $100 for my Antec... A 1kw PSU really isn't an unreasonable recommendation. Leaves room for de-rating over time and new components.

If you can get a quality 1000w unit for $100, I would say yes, go for the 1000w. However, it's very hard to find a quality 1000w for under $150, much less $100. A 750 watt is much more sensible.

Back