Corsair Powers the Maximum PC Dream Machine 2010

HardOCP News

[H] News
Corsair, a worldwide designer and supplier of high-performance components to the PC gaming hardware market, today announced that the Corsair Professional Series™ Gold AX1200 PSU has been selected by Maximum PC magazine to power their Dream Machine 2010. Maximum PC also selected Corsair Dominator® memory for this “best of the best” enthusiast computer system.

I love my HX1000. :)

It's quite as can be and I can toss in almost anything on it.

That link does go to the PR page but that story isn't even listed there yet, oddly...

this news article isn't a blatant advertisement or anything... [/sarcasm]

The really sad thing about these "Dream Machines" they do every year is most of us enthusiasts could build machines that would eat theirs alive and do it for roughly 1/2 the cost.

Only 24GB of RAM... in a "Dream Machine"? Only 4.4TB of storage? That's ludicrous... I'd call it more a "Daytime Daydream" machine than anything else... ;)

They just threw together a bunch of exspensive shit and called it a dream machine. It won't game any better than my rig and no 3D support. Not saying that this isn't super awesome rig but those 3 480s powering those 3 30" displays gaming simply isn't enough and one of the reasons I didn't do with 3 30" monitors myself, that and 3D support.

This is just BS:

We briefly considered going with an obnoxious-sounding four GTX 480 cards, but nixed it. While decadent, we weren’t sure anything would scale to four GPUs. And it’s not like the tri-SLI cards were in danger of being overwhelmed.

Yeah, 3 2650x1600 monitors at native resolution will put a hurtin' on even 3 480s in a lot of modern games.

The really sad thing about these "Dream Machines" they do every year is most of us enthusiasts could build machines that would eat theirs alive and do it for roughly 1/2 the cost.

Only 24GB of RAM... in a "Dream Machine"? Only 4.4TB of storage? That's ludicrous... I'd call it more a "Daytime Daydream" machine than anything else... ;)

At what point do you stop. Can you name anything other than massive scientific calculations that would need more than 24GB of ram. I don't call dual hex-core xeons a "daydream machine". Only 4.4TB? This isn't a file server. Why would you ever need more than 400GB SSD and 4TB of HDD space? Yea, they could build a machine with 128GB of ram and 100TB of HDD space, but why? This isn't "spend as much as you can regardless of anything else machine".

At what point do you stop.

Well, I suppose MaximumPC's PC designers just don't have the imagination that many of us do. :D

My "Dream Machine" would have at least 96GB of RAM in it and Windows would run from a virtual machine hosted entirely inside a 64GB RAMdisk and mirrored on SSDs (probably but more likely good old platters). Talk about fast...

Their "Dream Machine" never quite gives me the impression that they're totally dreaming but, that's just me I suppose. I don't see the purpose in designing a machine that's possible when you can design one that completely leaves people speechless and is entirely possible just the same.

Big dreams, not little ones...

to the average consumer it is a dream machine for sure... we're just spoiled little bitc[H]es.. ;)

and yeah on the 3x 480 not sweating driving 3x 30" displays.. in surround mode they would for shit sure have their hands full if not be overwhelmed at times.. dep IQ settings and on the 3d app..

Well, I suppose MaximumPC's PC designers just don't have the imagination that many of us do. :D

My "Dream Machine" would have at least 96GB of RAM in it and Windows would run from a virtual machine hosted entirely inside a 64GB RAMdisk and mirrored on SSDs (probably but more likely good old platters). Talk about fast...

Their "Dream Machine" never quite gives me the impression that they're totally dreaming but, that's just me I suppose. I don't see the purpose in designing a machine that's possible when you can design one that completely leaves people speechless and is entirely possible just the same.

Big dreams, not little ones...

LOL, put like a true [H]ardforum member :p

My dream machine would be a deathbot as tall as a skyscraper with frikkin lasers and a 24u blade server with quad xeon 9000s powering the guidence and 22.2 surround in the command module. Eat that whatever website.

Anyway these are the failiing!

ONLY liquid cooling!? Get some phase change, liquid carbon or at least some peltiers... Get them xeons to a measily 5 or I call shenanigans.
Where is the RAID 12!? Even a OCZSSDPX-ZD2P882T (1.4gb/s w/r) would be better than them two cheapass things. Why no 12 of them RAIDed. Slow ass!
And RAID 12 for the drives too.
Auzentech X-Fi Forte...Why not something with more than 8 channels...Mine has 24 and was only twice the price. I don't think anyone dreams of having 7.1 anymore...Also them speakers be tiny.
It looks shittay. Color coordination, look it up.
No 120h/z monitors, though they are 30bit.

These are the good points;

Corsair
Danger Den.
HP monitors. 30bit, (but no 120h/z)

My laser robot would still kick it's ass though.

2qb82a9.jpg

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/home/dream_machine_2010

My dream machine would be a deathbot as tall as a skyscraper with frikkin lasers and a 24u blade server with quad xeon 9000s powering the guidence and 22.2 surround in the command module. Eat that whatever website.

Anyway these are the failiing!

ONLY liquid cooling!? Get some phase change, liquid carbon or at least some peltiers... Get them xeons to a measily 5 or I call shenanigans.
Where is the RAID 12!? Even a OCZSSDPX-ZD2P882T (1.4gb/s w/r) would be better than them two cheapass things. Why no 12 of them RAIDed. Slow ass!
And RAID 12 for the drives too.
Auzentech X-Fi Forte...Why not something with more than 8 channels...Mine has 24 and was only twice the price. I don't think anyone dreams of having 7.1 anymore...Also them speakers be tiny.
It looks shittay. Color coordination, look it up.
No 120h/z monitors, though they are 30bit.

These are the good points;

Corsair
Danger Den.
HP monitors. 30bit, (but no 120h/z)

My laser robot would still kick it's ass though.

lol.. I was thinking more along the lines of the intersect 2.0, but this is cool also. ;)

Fun to see how they advertised their PSUs and RAM as some revolutionary products whereas almost all of them perform the same. Kudos to Corsair!

Back