Corsair TX vs HX 950

edifyingkarma

[H]ard|Gawd
I have to purchase a new power supply because my current one is not powering my setup properly.

Specs:
Q6600 @ 3.3 1.42 vc
4870x2
4 HDDs
Some led lighting and extra fans.

Newegg currently has the Corsair TX 950 on sale for 140 AR. I realize that 950w is way more than my actual necessity but I intend to use this PSU in my build a year or so from now which I anticipate will use most of the power. According to this article http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3413&p=3 , My system, though not using near the 950w range, still uses enough power idle and load to remain efficient. I am looking for a future proofing option here in case I do in fact get zealous enough to go all out on my next rig.

I am looking for opinions on the Corsair TX line apposed to the HX line of PSUs. Are the TX models pretty decent or should i think about another brand even. I really don't want to spend more than about 160 on a psu however.

Thanks

There's no HX950, but there's an HX850. The HX850 should be plenty for your needs. The TX series is Corsairs middle ground lineup, and the HXs are their high end products. The TX series is still very good though, the TX950 came out very well in testing.

The TX950 is a very good PSU. The main advantages of the HX850 over it are improved efficiency, better noise characteristics, modular cables, and slightly better performance overall. If you can live without those things, then the TX950 will be fine for you.

Should be OK with the TX, but there are many people with problems. Head over to the Corsair forums and read about possible incompatibility issues with some motherboards and cases.

Are there any other brand recommendations?

Antec, Seasonic, Corsair - stick to those for simplicity. There are good units from other brands scattered around (XFX makes one, Silverstone makes a couple etc), but you'll have to do some model by model research.

I decided just to go with the Corsair 850hx. At most I figure that ill run 3way SLI or CF in the future but a more realistic projection would be CF or SLI. It was only 10 bux more with free shipping and I have hear awesome things about the HX line. Thanks for stopping by

I own the HX850w. Great unit, great Corsair quality (it comes nestled in a soft fabric bag like high end bookshelf speakers hehe). Modular, good cables (some sleeved). 80Plus Gold standard and crazy good efficiency. Excellent choice. 850w will be total overkill on all but the most demanding multi-card configs.

Last edited:
I own the HX850w. Great unit, great Corsair quality (it comes nestled in a soft fabric bag like high end bookshelf speakers hehe). Modular, good cables (some sleeved). 80Plus Gold standard and crazy good efficiency. Excellent choice. 850w will be total overkill on all but the most demanding multi-card configs.

the HX850W is only 80Plus Silver...not that there's a huge difference...

I have to purchase a new power supply because my current one is not powering my setup properly.

Specs:
Q6600 @ 3.3 1.42 vc
4870x2
4 HDDs
Some led lighting and extra fans.

Newegg currently has the Corsair TX 950 on sale for 140 AR. I realize that 950w is way more than my actual necessity but I intend to use this PSU in my build a year or so from now which I anticipate will use most of the power. According to this article http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3413&p=3 , My system, though not using near the 950w range, still uses enough power idle and load to remain efficient. I am looking for a future proofing option here in case I do in fact get zealous enough to go all out on my next rig.

I am looking for opinions on the Corsair TX line apposed to the HX line of PSUs. Are the TX models pretty decent or should i think about another brand even. I really don't want to spend more than about 160 on a psu however.

Thanks

What motherboard are you running? The TX950W is a very nice powersupply but it has issues with Asus motherboards.

What motherboard are you running? The TX950W is a very nice powersupply but it has issues with Asus motherboards.

I actually went ahead and bought the HX850w as I decided that would be significant enough wattage. I also liked the fact that It is modular, more efficient, and has an absolute sterling reputations for being a fabulous power supply.

it was the unit they sent tested as gold but Corsair didnt think every unit sold would be as good so they sell it as silver

80plus got Gold numbers yes. But 80plus tests at 23C room temperature, which is why efficiency was so high. Normally you won't find those temperatures in the average computer.

Back