Corsair TX750W

Status
Not open for further replies.

S3th13

Gawd
I just ordered a Corsair TX750W from newegg for $99 (after MIR) due to the great recommendations from others on this board. I trusted their opinions, but I didn't think it would be a FANTASTIC psu for the price until I was researching it on ATI's website.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/crossfirex_components.aspx?p=3#ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 X2

The TX750W is 1 of 2 power supplies lower than 900W that can power 2x 4870X2s. That blew me away after several reviews showing the 4870X2 using ridiculous amounts of power at load.

I'm pretty excited knowing that I have that kind of upgrade-ability and quality.

Though I would share this with everyone. :D

There is a 850w model from the TX line-up now

There are more than 2 PSUs that can power 2X 4870 X2s

Antec SG850
Enermax Revolution 85+ 850w
PC P&C 750/860
Silverstone Decathlon/Olympia/Zues 850w

Just to name a few

All power requirement specs for video cards are grossly exaggerated, to make sure that people with cheap PSUs don't buy an expensive card and have their PSUs spontaneously combust ;).

As for the TX750 itself, I do like Corsair, but as far as good ~700-900W PSUs go, it's fairly middle-of-the-range. There are much better options out there, like the Seasonic M12 series, Antec's Signature 850W, Enermax's Revolution 850W, and several others. The TX750's strength is in its cost and its value, since it's one of the cheapest good-quality PSUs in its power range.

Agreed with Zero82z
Just a quick note for the OP, the amps on the rails & how they are regulated matter more than the total output wattage

Just a quick note for the OP, the amps on the rails & how they are regulated matter more than the total output wattage

That's not really am issue with most quality PSUs though, since they generally have >90% of their total output on the combined 12V rails.

There is a 850w model from the TX line-up now

There are more than 2 PSUs that can power 2X 4870 X2s

Antec SG850
Enermax Revolution 85+ 850w
PC P&C 750/860
Silverstone Decathlon/Olympia/Zues 850w

Just to name a few

I was merely going by what was stated on their website. What ATI "officially" recommends to power 2x 4870X2s... which would only include the 2 that I mentioned under 900W.

Agreed with Zero82z

Again, I was only noting that given ATIs list of mostly high end PSUs, the Corsair was 1 of the 2 lower output PSUs that could power both of those gpus.

I was merely going by what was stated on their website. What ATI "officially" recommends to power 2x 4870X2s... which would only include the 2 that I mentioned under 900W.

it's a good psu but it's not the only one out there. i mean if you knew that there were more than 2 psu's out there that could power 2 4870x2 that were under 900W then what is the point of this thread? Getting an "official" label from ATI is like "Vista" and "SLI" capable Ram, it doesn't mean much.

it's a good psu but it's not the only one out there. i mean if you knew that there were more than 2 psu's out there that could power 2 4870x2 that were under 900W then what is the point of this thread? Getting an "official" label from ATI is like "Vista" and "SLI" capable Ram, it doesn't mean much.

I never stated that I knew there were more than 2 PSUs under 900W that could power 2 4870x2s... which is why I created this thread. And no, I don't think that this is similar to the bullshit that was the Vista or SLI marketing. ATI created a list of power supplies, mostly all high quality, which they probably tested with their different combinations of graphics cards. They then certified each power supply as to whether or not it could run one combination. So either,

1. ATI doesn't test the power supplies, so they just randomly picked 2 power supplies that wouldn't seem to be able to power 2 4870x2s and said that they do or

2. ATI received some sort of compensation from Corsair and BFG to say that 1 of their lower end power supplies could run these graphics cards when they really couldn't, which I really doubt because if they couldn't run them then the problems would end up in ATI's hands or

3. Those lower wattage power supplies can power the 4870x2s... which is why that is stated in the chart

(Of course they're are other possibilities with similar combinations, but you get the point)

All this thread was trying to show was that 1 power supply of the 2 total power supplies can power 2x 4870x2s in crossfire while other brands with similar wattage could not. In turn showing that some part of that Corsair power supply must be higher quality than the rest in its same wattage class let it be capacitors, higher amp on +12V rails, etc.

My only point was this:

Corsair TX750W = 750W ======> Can run 2x 4870X2s
Brand XXXX = < 900W ====/===> Cannot run 2x 4870X2s

Which would lead one to believe that something inside the Corsair brand is higher quality, giving it the ability to run those graphics cards added to the fact that the Corsair is a great price.

So no matter what other rhetorical bs that can be said in this thread, that was my only point. A point that isn't made invalid by saying that power supply wattage isn't the most important thing to take into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back