Okay, I need to choose RAM for the following setup:

FSP Group FX700-GLN Epsilon PSU
Abit AN8 32x motherboard
x2 3800+ CPU, xp-120 heatsink paired with Yate Loon 120mm fan
2 x HDDs
3 x 120mm fans

Choices are either:

OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Gold GX XTC 2GB
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_3200_gold_gx_xtc_2gb_dual_channel

or

Corsair XMS Platinum PC3200 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145575

I'm planning to overclock the system quite a bit once said parts are all part together. In general, which RAM offers me greater overclocking flexibility, potential, and stability? Other thoughts?

Thanks!
-JP :)

Out of the 7 or so gaming rigs i've built since entering the high end market, i've never had a problem with OCZ ram (platinum, titanium or Nvidia Sli series)...only had one that ran ok with Corsair in it though (includes xms and dominator series).

I've heard that OCZ EL PC3200 Gold RAM doesnt overclock at all

In my experience, OCZ hasn't failed me, and I've heard the same results from friends who use them. I'd go with that.

Not to be picky or anything, but this really wasn't supposed to be a "Which brand do you like best" thread ... the original post is asking if any of you have had experience with either set listed, and if anyone knows which would be better in my situation. Just curious.

I do, however, appreciate the input on Corsair / OCZ in general.

Thanks,
JP :)

JaYp146 said:
Not to be picky or anything, but this really wasn't supposed to be a "Which brand do you like best" thread ... the original post is asking if any of you have had experience with either set listed, and if anyone knows which would be better in my situation. Just curious.

I do, however, appreciate the input on Corsair / OCZ in general.

Thanks,
JP :)

Corsair XMS is good shit so get it as it will be overclock friendly

Obligatory third party recommendation

GO MUSHKIN!

Ok, I'm just being an ass :D

I have the Corsair kit you're considering, and I am quite satisfied. I also have the 1GB version in my second machine. I have not tried to tighten the timings down more, as I may be jacking up the FSB further, but we'll see. Both kits have done 450MHz 3-4-4-8. My gut is it can do tighter timings but I just haven't spent the time to fine tune it.

Either kit would work fine, but the Corsair has better specifications.

OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K is on sale at Newegg too, it might suit your needs best.

Back