Could this be a PSU issue?

Slider19

Gawd
My PSU (Corsair HX520) on a new build fires up the fans and mb lights, but I get nothing on the screen. I've tried two video cards and monitors, but same thing.

The thing is my older build had a very similar issue where the mb would try to boot up but end up with a error code in the test LEDs - nothing came on the screen.

Except for one hard drive and case, my PSU is the only component I'm reusing in the new build. So, could this really be a PSU issue, since I thought PSU's either work or just die?

And the Corsair is no cheapo PSU. Should I buy a Corsair HX620 to test this out or any other recommendations for a solid efficient, quiet PSU?

It could be a PSU issue, but it could also be a motherboard issue. Do you have any other PCs you can test the PSU in or any other PSUs that you can test in your PC?

No other PSU. :(

I guess I have to decide what to RMA first, the PSU or motherboard.

No other PSU. :(

I guess I have to decide what to RMA first, the PSU or motherboard.

This is why I always keep an old, but known working PS around.

First check the Doh! things like checking the wiring and making sure the +12v line from the PS for CPU power is plugged into the MB. Check to see if anything on the MB is shorting to the case. (Lay everything out on a piece of cardboard with nothing mounted in the case.

Do you have a speaker plugged into the MB? Beep codes are always useful. I would start trouble shooting by using 1 stick of memory and trying it in different slots. You can also check to makes sure that the CPU is properly seated and no contacts in the CPU socket are bent out of alignment.

If you can narrow things down being sure it's either the MB or PS is bad, I would RMA the MB first, since the PS was working before.

First check the Doh! things like checking the wiring and making sure the +12v line from the PS for CPU power is plugged into the MB.

:eek: I have done this before myself and it causes this exact problem, so I suggest checking that connection first. Make sure the wires are in good condition all the way down through the connectors on the plug too.

I've checked the connections and they all seem solid. I'll take the mb out of the case and test it that way when I get home.

Only thing that is making me lean towards the PSU is that my previous computer had a very similar issue which is what made me build a new one in the first place. I might just to go to best buy and get a new PSU to check that out.

If you can afford a new PSU it wouldn't hurt to get one then RMA the HX520 to Corsair if thats the problem. Then you have a back-up for a new build, second computer, etc. Not having two computers really sucks when you are having problems (more difficult to research the problem) so I always try and keep my older one when I upgrade.

I'm thinking of that, what's a good efficient modular not quiet PSU that's future proof. I could just get the HX620, unless there's a better Corsair or other product out there. Cost is not a big issue. I never skimp on the PSU and 2 years ago the HX520 was almost top of the line.

I'm thinking of that, what's a good efficient modular not quiet PSU that's future proof. I could just get the HX620, unless there's a better Corsair or other product out there. Cost is not a big issue. I never skimp on the PSU and 2 years ago the HX520 was almost top of the line.
How much are you looking to spend and how much power do you want?

Well, Corsair made an awesome 850 watt PSU, you can get one for 200 bucks (check out the OCP review here), and there are others for the same price like the XFX 850 (also 200 bucks). If you dont mind rebates there are some quality 1000 watt models that are 200 bucks after rebate like the Corsair 1000HX.

Hmm, I don't really want to go by wattage so much as efficiency, ripple control, solid amps on the 12v rail. I prefer Corsair's Seasonic models, but at the same time Corsair has better warranty service than Seasonic OEM.

Edit: but that 850W Corsair does look good based on the review.

Hmm, I don't really want to go by wattage so much as efficiency, ripple control, solid amps on the 12v rail. I prefer Corsair's Seasonic models, but at the same time Corsair has better warranty service than Seasonic OEM.

Edit: but that 850W Corsair does look good based on the review.
If you want the best of the best, get the Seasonic X series 750W.

OK, good discussion, but LOL at myself.

I guess I didn't do rigorous enough testing yesterday but I switched the RAM from the blue slots to the white slots on the P55 UD4p and it's booting fine now. Go figure.

Time to put in the 5850 and see what happens.

when the mobos giving you a post error code chances are its useful. You only really need to go into serious troubleshooting mode when you've got nothing to go on.

Always look up that stuff first!

I know that, but the screen wouldn't turn on and the mb has no diagnostic LEDs and I had no internal PC speaker to connect to the mb for beep codes.

Every mb should have diagnostic LEDs, they're very useful IMO.

Back