Countdown to Destruction Starts Again

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Large Hadron Collider (aka the doomsday machine) will be restarted today. Barring any more technical difficulties or hardware failures, the end of the world should come sometime later today.

The first proton beams of 2010 were circulated in the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) on Saturday, Cern said on Monday. The machine had been undergoing technical maintenance for 10 weeks. However, soon after the beams were circulated on Saturday, the beams had to be stopped to allow maintenance to cryogenic systems which help regulate the superconducting magnets, according to Cern.

Still not sure why people think this will be a doomsday device :p

The particles they are smashing together do not have enough mass to create a singularity with enough density to consume the earth. That's even in the off chance it DID create a singularity.

It's good for a laugh though, I guess!

BRING IT OOHHHNNN!!!

I want everything blasted into nothingness before 2012 hits.

Lemme go on the holiday with my gf in the easter first.. then you can blow up the earth, cause then i'll die happy :D

particles of the same density or higher hit the upper atmosphere at 100% speed of light every day, have been for millions of years....we're still here.

LHC is only doing it @ 99.999999998% (or whatever their official # is lol :p)

fact of the matter is(no pun intended) i dont think the thing will keep itself together long enough to get super high energy collisions. the complexity of the device is too high with current tech to be successful IMO.

Agreed, they can barely keep the thing running for a week before a bird jams a baguette in the works, or the staff lunch refrigerator/cryogenic cooling system gives up, bollocks I say, the world will end...WHEN IT"S FECKING READY!

particles of the same density or higher hit the upper atmosphere at 100% speed of light every day, have been for millions of years....we're still here.

fact of the matter is(no pun intended) i dont think the thing will keep itself together long enough to get super high energy collisions. the complexity of the device is too high with current tech to be successful IMO.
The difference is the particles are not being slammed into each other to create temperatures greater than that of anything in the current universe, temperatures that can only exist naturally a millionth of a second after the big bang.

I'm not worried about black holes because they would radiate away immediately anyways. You would have to form a black hole then continually feed it in order for it to become self sustaining, thus an earth eater.

Actually the earth was already destroyed the last time they started it up, but due the the time dilation effects of the black hole, we won't feel it for a couple more years :)

Ah well, 2012 is a long wait anyway, might as well get it over with now.

OK, I'm off to spend my life saving today! Can't take it with you!

My theory on asll the particle smashing is that , now here me out, a lot of UFO books refer to UFO's as anti-optical, to me this says that for something to rate as alien technology it must exist to serve a different purpose than what it is designed to be. Like the large hadron colider could be alien technology as what it does doesn't make sense now, but 20 years later you have your first newly discovered with mods, power system for interstellar travel as an exsample.

When they fire up the particle collider, the Vulcan will notice and land on our planet.

I haven't seen anything about it. But did they get it started ok? We are all still here so like every other time the earth didn't end if they did.

I haven't seen anything about it. But did they get it started ok? We are all still here so like every other time the earth didn't end if they did.
Did you notice that brief ripple? It already ended. You are now in the Matrix.

uh, you do realize that accelerating massive particles to 100% of the speed of light is impossible, right?

Your point, however, is valid. Comparably energetic collisions occur all the time.

Well, there are cosmic rays that hit the earth with 100000000 more energy than anything the LHC can produce, so I think we're fine.

We're still trying to figure out where those super high energy cosmic rays come from though.

Back