Counter-Strike: Source and 4850

Mr. Miyagi

2[H]4U
Hello,

I am having a problem with CS:S and the 4850. On multiple levels, they are dark from this "fog". I don't know how to fix it. I've tried reinstalling the drivers and reformatting. Both did not fix it. Here are some screen shots to help show what I'm having. I know other 4850/4870 owners have this problems but is anyone else on this board experiencing this? I've tried to mess with gamma but can not find a setting to fix it. I did not have this problem with my 8800GT. This happens on different areas of the maps but here is an example.

But when I drop down, it appears to be fine.

I know this is irrelevant to your initial problem but I thought I'd pass a little extra knowledge along. I found this command to increase your frame rate in half-life based games by about 20-40fps by enabling dual core for the game.

mat_queue_mode 2

Sorry I can't help you with your problem.

sure thats not just hdr?

You can enable or disable the lighting effects in the counter strike control panel.

its a problem for alot of people. usually changing drivers helps.

not sure why valve has not fixed the problem yet.

I know this is irrelevant to your initial problem but I thought I'd pass a little extra knowledge along. I found this command to increase your frame rate in half-life based games by about 20-40fps by enabling dual core for the game.

mat_queue_mode 2

Sorry I can't help you with your problem.

That command is only in orange box engine games and it is very unstable for most people.

That's what its supposed to be. I've been playing CS:S on 8/9 series cards since they came out and its always been like that. Dust2 has this feature: its dust.

That's what its supposed to be. I've been playing CS:S on 8/9 series cards since they came out and its always been like that. Dust2 has this feature: its dust.

No, it's not dust and it's not just on D2, but on other levels as well. Train, Contra and Nuke all have this fog problem. I thought this issue was fixed a while ago for the 8800 series as my 8800GT did not have this problem.

This is part of the game.. the "fog" helps reduce the processing needed by blurring some of the level... since you only run around on the ground, there is no need for extra and unneeded processing from up in the air. I see this same thing on my Radeon 9600XT AGP and on my X1950GT PCIe

Its always been like that for me. Nvidia or ati cards and I've been playing it since it came out.

Isn't that an effect? I haven't played in a long time, but for whatever reason I seem to recall the game just being like that.

My only recommendation is to disable Custom Filter Anti-Aliasing. I've seen a lot of screenshots where CFAA in the Source engine causes everything to be washed out.

It looks like that on my 8600M GS, FireGL v5200, 7900GT, 7950GT and 4850. I'm pretty sure the game is supposed to look like that.

Back