Couple of simple questions

Raxxath

Limp Gawd
I want to control my fans through a fan controller, while still monitoring the RPMs of each fan through the motherboard. Would separating the yellow wire from a 3-pin extension(as shown in the picture) and connecting it to the motherboard do the trick? I'd try it, but I want to make sure I don't fry anything.

Also, do RPMs scale the same as voltage? For example, will a 2000RPM 12v fan run at 1000RPM at 6v? Or is it different with each fan?

7.jpg

Yes you can separate the yellow wire and connect it to the motherboard with no problems. Just make sure you connect it to the right pin.

The fan RPMs may or may not scale linearly with voltage. It depends on the design of the fan. You'll have to test your fans and see what they end up doing.

Thanks, it worked very nicely. Its making me question my fan controller, though. I can only really change the speed in a few large increments. I'm wondering if there isn't a better way to control my fans.

Well, depending on what fan controller, you might have more or less granular control over your fan speeds. In general, I think users probably don't need more than a few settings--low speed when just doing light usage, medium if you're doing something a bit more strenuous like video playback, and full speed when doing heavy gaming. But that's just me. Another alternative would be to just make your own fan controller. There are plenty of threads in this subforum about doing just that.

FWIW, with some boards or fan combinations you may need to connect the ground to the fan header on the mobo to get RPM as well.

Back