Court Rejects Webcasters' Plea For Relief

HardOCP News

[H] News
A federal appeals court has declined to grant a petition by Webcasters to delay the new royalty fees for internet radio stations. The payment increases, some as much as 1200% higher than before, will go into effect on Sunday.

In a one-page order filed late Wednesday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia said the opponents of the fees "have not satisfied the stringent standards required for a stay pending court review" and rejected their request for an emergency stay.

One little piece at a time... everything is taken away one... little... piece... at... a... time... until there's nothing left except books. Then they'll burn the books.

It happened once, what makes people think it can't happen again?

Very disappointing to say the least. I love internet radio and one of my favorite stations has already gone bye bye because of this. Sad.

One little piece at a time... everything is taken away one... little... piece... at... a... time... until there's nothing left except books. Then they'll burn the books.

When did they do this prior?

Too bad, I'm sure the music I'm listening to right now will be gone on Sunday.

It's always about money. Oh well, I'll have to dig up the old FM radio I guess.:mad:

Absolutely sickening that this was allowed to happen.

I guess I can kiss my internet radio goodbye. Thank you very much, greedy bastards.

so true.
piece by piece they take away everything.
the same thing is happening to net nutrality, in a different way.
www.savetheinternet.com

They keep screwing people over. Sooner or later, there won't be anymore people to screw. Then, they'll be left with nothing.

People will keep giving in... just like they always do.
Those in power will continue to abuse it... just like they always do.
The way its always been... the way its always going to be.

Sheeple... not People.

There is a bill currently in congress to help internet radio but it is stalled in some committee. Its called the Internet radio equality act or something like that. Call your congresspeople and tell them to move their ass rather than just saying oh well the site i listen to is gone nothing i can do and bitch about it being gone.

Don't be naive. One thing will solve this. MONEY. That is it. It is that simple.

The side with the most money wins.

Right now...the record labels are tossing money at every congressman involved. Count on it.

He's might be talking about when Nazi Germany burned books.

It has happened alot really....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_burning

Re-Read his post.

Nazi's burned books that they didn't like, they didn't take EVERYTHING away. Also, Germany is a powerhouse in todays economy and you can buy any book and everything was given back.

Just feelin like being nitpicky as some feel like the world is about to end.

If the recording industry can't control it, they will destroy it. I absolutely cannot wait for from-the-artist digital distribution to neuter the recording industry.

These greedy arses just don't know when to quit.

Internet radio is an excellent source for more then just the big name stars to get their music heard.

Now the greedy execs are going to take away one of the better avenues available to small recording artists.

You know what, I would love to see the recording industry get audited. I bet dollars to donuts they have some very creative accounting practices going on.

I pledge Allegiance to the dollar
of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it sells,
one nation under God, to the highest bidder,
with greed and paid Justice for all.

You know what, I would love to see the recording industry get audited. I bet dollars to donuts they have some very creative accounting practices going on.

Havnt you heard? You dont GET audited when you have that much money.

I used to listen to a USA based dance/trance station (www.DI.fm) that was supported by commercial advertisements, and paid their royalty fees as a US station. But now if they close I have no choice but to listen to Pirate shoutcast stations that wont pay artists a dime.

F--- You U.S. Copyright Royalty Board! :mad:

The ruling can still be dismissed after today, but it will be too late for many great broadcasters.

I used to listen to a USA based dance/trance station (www.DI.fm) that was supported by commercial advertisements, and paid their royalty fees as a US station. But now if they close I have no choice but to listen to Pirate shoutcast stations that wont pay artists a dime.

F--- You U.S. Copyright Royalty Board! :mad:

The ruling can still be dismissed after today, but it will be too late for many great broadcasters.

That is exactly what is going to happen. People will turn back to shoutcast style solutions... benefiting no one in this case.

Well I don't see how anybody expected any other outcome, since the U.S. courts are now pretty much corporate owned.

Well I don't see how anybody expected any other outcome, since the U.S. courts are now pretty much corporate owned.

Pretty much owned? They ARE owned.

Enough money will buy you whatever kind of justice you seek.

So internet radio stations shutdown who cant pay the new fee, artists music are not played on said shutdown stations, artists music isnt heard by the mass populace, album sales drop, to recoup the loss they increase the fees, So internet radio stations shutdown who cant pay the new fee... Its a vicious cycle. Its just a matter of time that they do it to FM radio stations.

Its just like the RIAA. Lets say i have 1000 mp3s that i got from iTunes at a $1 a piece so ive spent $1000 into their industry. Joe Schmo over here has illegally downloaded 1000 the RIAA finds him sues him and settles out of court for $4000. Which was more profitable for them? And they didnt even have to produce good music or give any of that $$$ to the artists.

Why should it be up to the courts to fix the mess that the lawmakers have created?

Amen.

Absolutely DISGUSTING that it is allowed to take place.

But you have to ask yourself this question: If it were YOU that was sitting back in your easy chair collecting millions... would you care if it were right or wrong?

Amen.

Absolutely DISGUSTING that it is allowed to take place.

But you have to ask yourself this question: If it were YOU that was sitting back in your easy chair collecting millions... would you care if it were right or wrong?

Fully agreed. I know -I- wouldn't care, and it's not like I'm likely to go sue 90 year old ladies.
And I can't follow how the hell this became a rallying point for the bleeding liberal segment of the forums. The government is now taking away all of our rights and reading material because royalty rates for the internet now equal rates for terrestrial-based radio? Granted, they're now BOTH too high, but geez. Get over yourselves already.

Fully agreed. I know -I- wouldn't care, and it's not like I'm likely to go sue 90 year old ladies.
And I can't follow how the hell this became a rallying point for the bleeding liberal segment of the forums. The government is now taking away all of our rights and reading material because royalty rates for the internet now equal rates for terrestrial-based radio? Granted, they're now BOTH too high, but geez. Get over yourselves already.
I thought hating government intrusion was part of small government, as in conservative. Shrug I guess whatever happens in a republican government that's hated is auto liberal..

Either way its not equal to terrestrial. Its a complete lack of understanding of the issue, and more than that its the dim witted people being paid to make decisions. You bet your ass lobbying had something to do with it. Regardless, internet radio is based on SEPARATE stations, with many choices of types of music. Satellite fees are like that, but then again people have to pay for that.. but they can listen to it anywhere. Internet radio is a totally different model, it takes understanding how it works to make fair changes to the royalty system.

This isn't the end of internet radio, as far as I can see. It may be a hindrance to US-based internet radio stations. Check into European ones or elsewhere. But, I will say, if pandora or other sites go offline, and they blame royalty fees, I'll be much less inclined to purchase music in the future.

Why should it be up to the courts to fix the mess that the lawmakers have created?

becouse its there FUCKING JOB gb2highschool
did you even pay attention in govt. class

the Judicial branch is there to make sure the Legislative branch does its job and doesn't pass laws/bills that would be bad the nation

becouse its there FUCKING JOB gb2highschool
did you even pay attention in govt. class

the Judicial branch is there to make sure the Legislative branch does its job and doesn't pass laws/bills that would be bad the nation

hmmm

Grade A+ pwn?

Anyways, If pandora or DI goes down, I'm gonna own shoatcast on mah WinAMP.

Fuck stupid bills. <3 Europe

The RIAA and music industry in general make public enemies out of themselves and then when sales fall they blame it all on piracy, not on their public image.

Don't worry about it. It won't be long before they are out of jobs, what do they do anyway? They don't make the music, all they do is package it and take a 90% cut. Artists hate them, customers hate them, they won't last.

I thought Oil Companies were powerful. They are whimps compared to the Music Industry I guess!

Maybe their checks clear easier.

All I have to say is good luck trying to collect from a european or asian based DI and somafm. The new rates will drive internet radio out of the United States, they will not eliminate legitimate internet radio.

I thought hating government intrusion was part of small government, as in conservative. Shrug I guess whatever happens in a republican government that's hated is auto liberal.

There is a wide difference between a conservative watching of the government and hating it. All you ever seem to hear around here is how this or that legislation or court move signals the end of all free living. Knee-jerk relex, that's all it is by now. And they have the gall to call everyone else senseless for not "seeing the truth" when their own reactions are equally if not more vapid.

All I have to say is good luck trying to collect from a european or asian based DI and somafm. The new rates will drive internet radio out of the United States, they will not eliminate legitimate internet radio.

well good luck with that unless the owners move too just moving your server wont save you

There is a wide difference between a conservative watching of the government and hating it. All you ever seem to hear around here is how this or that legislation or court move signals the end of all free living. Knee-jerk relex, that's all it is by now. And they have the gall to call everyone else senseless for not "seeing the truth" when their own reactions are equally if not more vapid.

Sounds like a comunist to me. Perhaps you'd be happier in china.

Call it knee jerk if you want... but real americans do not like having their freedoms stripped away. I didn't get camo'd up and pickup a gun because I thought it was fun... I did it because I believed in protecting our FREEDOM.

So you are sick of reading about people bitching everytime someone takes a freedom away? STOP READING then. Because as long as there are people like me around... we will continue to fight for our freedoms... so people like you still have the right to BITCH about us.

Sounds like a comunist to me. Perhaps you'd be happier in china.

Call it knee jerk if you want... but real americans do not like having their freedoms stripped away. I didn't get camo'd up and pickup a gun because I thought it was fun... I did it because I believed in protecting our FREEDOM.

So you are sick of reading about people bitching everytime someone takes a freedom away? STOP READING then. Because as long as there are people like me around... we will continue to fight for our freedoms... so people like you still have the right to BITCH about us.

Of course. Because I don't think people should cry about every little thing they read, I'm obviously part of the Red Menace. Way to keep that objectivity handy. How could I possibly not appreciate my own freedoms just because I decide that I'd rather trust my government more than you? Apparently, once you were done with that rifle you just jammed it up your backside.

Back