cpu and gpu upgrade advice

o0akoni0o

[H]ard|Gawd
i'm currently running what is in my sig, e4300 @ 3ghz and evga 8800GT 512mb SC stock. i upgraded from a 19" screen to a nice 24" and obviously my gaming performance obviously took a hit. for the most part i play all types of games including the latest and greatest like crysis, but don't necesarily have to play at the highest settings. having said that, would i benefit from a cpu upgrade? upgrade my vid card? how about an sli mobo and another 8800gt? i'd like to use as much as i can from my current setup and would want to keep upgrades under $400.

The new nvidia 9600gt is looking like a winner at the moment. Check out hardocp's review here. There's one at clubit (MSI i think) for $175 shipped and that would leave you another $225 for a cpu.

What resolution are you gaming at? The 8800gt is better then the 9600gt. I wouldn't recommend an upgrade yet...wait for the 9800gt. Your system is pretty damn solid as it is.

If you absolutely must not drop settings pick up a SLI board and another 8800 GT. That said, I'd just wait. Your CPU is solid enough. Don't base performance on Crysis, as almost nothing runs it well.

yeah definitely pick up another 8800 when they drop soon and go sli , then game it up all you want

What resolution are you gaming at? The 8800gt is better then the 9600gt. I wouldn't recommend an upgrade yet...wait for the 9800gt. Your system is pretty damn solid as it is.
1920x1200 :eek:

well i guess i'll TRY to stay with what i have now, lol. any specific sli boards worth looking at?

1920x1200 :eek:

well i guess i'll TRY to stay with what i have now, lol. any specific sli boards worth looking at?

Not really. Most of the 780i mobos do have their quirks. Although I think Markyip1 recommends checking out the MSI P7N 780i chipset mobo. Seems to be the 780i mobo with the least amount of defects/quirks.

If you need something less expensive the 750i and 680i LT boards are worth considering too. You can find a 680i LT for around $100 AR, and the 750is tend to run $150 or so, though there aren't many around yet. The 780i is really only worth it if you're running GTXs or Ultras, something that can make use of Tri-SLI.

Back