CPU Comparison Question

Xeruan

Weaksauce
I am building a new computer in about a month though have a question, should I go with the Venice 3800+ or the San Diego 3700+. .2GHz or 512KB L2 Cache, which is more important and which would be faster for a gamer. Thank you

If you can afford the SD go for the SD. I think difference will be minimal, but it's the better processor. Don't know how well the SD clocks tho? I know the Venice clocks very, very well in some instances. :cool:

Venice 3800+ is 2.4 GHz with 512KB L2 Cache
San Diego 3700+ is 2.2GHz with 1MB L2 Cache

does 512 KB L2 cache make more of a difference in speed or does .2 GHz

Cache doe not help much unless you are doing some heavy apps. For a pleasure rig the speed is what you want.

Xeruan said:
.2GHz or 512KB L2 Cache, which is more important and which would be faster for a gamer. Thank you
For a gamer, the 512k vs 1mb cache will be pretty transparent to the user. Makes almost no difference. A larger cache is important for running memory intensive applications, where a larger full speed buffer (aka cache) can feed the data to the cpu at a faster rate than the system RAM. That's why server (especially network hosting servers) cpu's generally have larger caches, because the amount of continuous data the processor(s) can handle. This demand of data can not be met by the bandwidth alloted by the system's physical memory, so the cache takes a toll in feeding the continuous stream of data to the processors. Some laptop cpu's have more cache too, in order to maximize the data flow to the processor, resulting in increased system efficiency for a smidge longer battery life when running at or near full utilization.

I hope that wasn't too long winded and technical. That, in a nutshell, is where more cache can come in handy. For everyday desktop users, 512k cache will do just fine.

haha, i was very proud of that post at the time :D
i think i've gone downhill on technical detail since :( :p

Back