CPU Cooler for Silverstone Crown/LC-18

turtletrax

Limp Gawd
Just picked up a Silverstone Crown and they are based on the LC-18. I managed to get a Tuniq Tower 120 shipped to Canada and had hoped that it would fit. I knew it would be really close but looks like it is about 4mm to high.

Looking for something that will fit on a naked 4400+, wich should drop alittle off the total height.

Has anyone had luck with the Zalman 9700?

Thanks!!

Why not just cut a hole in the case and have your cooler stick out of it like the intake on old muscle cars. ;)

I thought about that seriously. I have a brand new dremel waiting to mod my 360, and id would look pretty cool, but I chage hardware like crazy. The problem with that is the placement of CPU's isnt the same, so I would be stuck with this huge hole in a $300 case.

I do have a watercooling systems that I could use, but I would have to change the pump. I hae a 50Z and it is wayyy to loud.

Might just use the watercooling... gives me an excuse to get a DDC+ and Petras top:)

Why not just cut a hole in the case and have your cooler stick out of it like the intake on old muscle cars. ;)

Because it's ugly and impractical.

You'll quickly learn the the huge tower heatsinks don't fly in an HTPC due to the lower height of the case. Most manufactures think that all HTPC cases have to have a low profile for some moronic reasons. I'd give anything for a case that can fit a Ninja (or like) heatsink and run it passively.

So for your case the 9500 should fit just fine, thats the tallest heatsink you can fit in a "tall" HTPC case.

You'll quickly learn the the huge tower heatsinks don't fly in an HTPC due to the lower height of the case. Most manufactures think that all HTPC cases have to have a low profile for some moronic reasons. I'd give anything for a case that can fit a Ninja (or like) heatsink and run it passively.

Simple answer -- put your firebreathing transcoding/capturing/storage back end in a Stacker or something with a Scythe Thermalright GiganticaEternity l33tc00l in the garage, running a network cable out to it. Then put a mini ATX silent-puter under the telly with your front-end for silent TV listening. I know that MythTV can do this -- can the other things that other people run do this?

Another thing to bear in mind is that if your mythbox or htpc is running 24/7, then it's got all day to finish a transcode, no rush. Also, you don't really want to OC it since it is a form of server.

I know that MythTV can do this -- can the other things that other people run do this?
Everything but MCE can. At this point in the game I can't believe MCE doesn't have some sort of client/server setup to it. And no, MCE extenders don't count due to how crappy they are.

Simple answer -- put your firebreathing transcoding/capturing/storage back end in a Stacker or something with a Scythe Thermalright GiganticaEternity l33tc00l in the garage, running a network cable out to it. Then put a mini ATX silent-puter under the telly with your front-end for silent TV listening. I know that MythTV can do this -- can the other things that other people run do this?

Another thing to bear in mind is that if your mythbox or htpc is running 24/7, then it's got all day to finish a transcode, no rush. Also, you don't really want to OC it since it is a form of server.

I kinda disagree. You can have a helluva computer that is your HTPC and still have it quiet and small. All I have left to do is figure out what cooling to go with. The Tuniq Tower is about 4mm too high, which isnt allot. If it did fit I would have a 2.75Ghz X2 with 2Gigs of RAM running past PC-4000, a 7800GTX cooled by a VF-900, and 750GB of storage. All with acceptable temps, in a Silverstone Crown.

I will entertain a couple of other ideas, then I cram waterblocks and pump inside and run a rad external. Then it becomes a super-silent super HTPC that can rival allot of desktops. Not hard, just takes will.

Back