cpu fan/heatsink got a little slack

Vol

Limp Gawd
Hi, I building a new system and I got a little question.
I got a CNPS9700 Zalman cpu fan for my 6750 core duo. Everything went well for the installation of the fan (pretty much the same installation then my other zalman fan for my old 478 socket). Now, I fixed the motherboard (gigabyte DS3R) on the case (a nice P182 :) ) and after plugging the power cable in the 4pin 12V I realized that the cpu fan (well, the fan + heatsink) rotated a little on its base (between the cpu and the base of the heatsink). The 4pin plug was right next to the cpu, so it was really hard to plug it without putting some pressure on the fan/heatsink; and thus, it rotated a bit :( (I did not notice it as it was rotating. I noticed it a couple of minutes after while looking at the whole picture). I was able to rotate it back to its original position without using a lot of force (it rotated pretty easily). I was wondering, is it normal that the fan/heatsink can move that way even if it is well screwed. If the fact that it can rotate is normal, would the rotation cause the thermal paste to move away, so that there aren't enough anymore between the cpu and the heatsink? I don't feel like removing the motherboard to check by myself the condition of the thermal paste, so here I am asking. Thanks!

edit: Forgot to mention, the rotation would be something around 5°

Slight rotation is normal. My Tuniq Tower does the same. My theory is, once your thermal paste has cured (heat cycled), it's probably wise not to move it. However, before it's cured, you're just smoushing it around, which should be fine.

I was going to reply yeah its no problem until I read 5 degrees.
Hehe, cheers for the chuckle.
Yeah its no problem :)

Let us know your temps and OC results with that E6750! ;)

I was able to do 3.8Ghz @ 1.55v (VID is 1.35v :mad:), and my Tuniq keeps it at a cool 27°C during idle, and reaches 50°C during Orthos (using CoreTemp 0.95.4 beta; 21°C - ambient). I havent tried AS5 yet, but I will soon. For now, I'm using AC MX-2, which is supposedly better than AS5. I can hit 4Ghz, but I don't like giving it more than 1.55v.

Back