CPU Performance Database?

ilemon

n00b
Is there a website that you can compare different CPUs? I'm setting up a Plex server and trying to decide between a Core i7 920 and a Xeon E5420. They seem very similar but the Xeon is rack mountable which is a big plus.

Thanks but that only has desktop processors. I started shopping around and it looks like the 920 might be significantly faster. An E5420 is about $25. The 920 is around $100.

Put in Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300. That is not an exact match because the xeon has 2 times the cache but it should be close enough in most applications.

What are you looking for specifically? I think the two cpu's were from the same base architecture, no? In that case, there wouldn't be a huge difference between performance-per-clock; then again, the 920 has HT and turbo. Are you concerned about real-time encoding performance for streaming, or power consumption? I don't recall if plex encoding benefits a whole lot for HT. The xeon will run a lot cooler/draw less power for sure. How many simultaneous streams will the server have to deal with in terms of encoding?

I always simply Google "cpu1 vs cpu2" for some quick and dirty comparisons...

you be insane to buy a 920 for a hundred bucks when you can get a xeon hexa core for 80....i sold my 920 for 25 shipped

Back